RF2 Decal on real life MX5 Super Cup car.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 8, 2018.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Gents,
    It looks like I will be making the leap from Sim Racing to real life racing quite soon.
    I am a long time fan of RF2 and want to know if Studio 397 would like me to put a decal on this little beasty which will be raced in Mazda Super Cup / Super Series from as early as next month at Donnington?

Yes it will also be a great opportunity to play even more with setup, although it will take a little longer to make changes in the paddock than on the PC!
    @Christopher Elliott

Attached Files:

pkelly and jayarrbee36 like this.
  2. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

You're going to provide a for-profit company with free advertising? On a project that has undoubtedly cost you thousands?

3. David O'Reilly

Yes I am.
    I have had joy from RFactor 2 over the past 5 years far in excess of it's price.
    Many users have donated time including the guy who modded the Spec Miata that I am about to practice in at Donington (would prefer a Mark 3 but beggars can't be choosers). I wrote and have sold pretty successfully the Setup guide for RF2. I have had back my investment many times over so I am happy to promote it for them.
    It also joins the circle for me since I usually run an RF2 logo on my sim cars.

WiZPER, McKiernan, Levelup1 and 8 others like this.
  4. David O'Reilly

The last couple of weeks have seen me take delivery of the car and wade through a few to do lists of stuff I need before I race.
    For example:
    Race suit, helmet, boots, gloves, an extra action camera#. We are required to mount a fwd facing and a rwd facing camera and run it at all times in test/quali and race sessions. The jury might need the footage of an incident and they also use it to make a YT vid later on by taking the onboard footage. So I guess I will have some YT videos up of the track time.
    Tow car: No small thing sourcing one that my wife and family are happy with and will legally tow 2000 kg. My car weighs about 1000kg and the Brian James Race Shuttle 3 trailer itself weighs 950kg.
    I still need to buy a HANS device, been trying to bag a bargain with a 2nd hand one but missed the last one by a fraction. It will be the injection moulded plastic type. Carbon fibre means 4 times the price and to save some weight I don't need to save as I will be pretty much on the weight limit.
    Next step is to get the tow car sorted this week then once I can actually take the car somewhere, book a session at my local track Llandow in South Wales.
    With my MSA race license I can book a 1/2 day for £100. Very likely I will have the track to myself.
    Lots to do incl; Check the mounting and function of the in car cameras, learn the car, learn the tyres, maybe make some ARB adjustments, Practice heel/toeing, re-learn to go fast in a real car for the first time in a long while.
    Signup is in 10 days time for Donnington.
    Then I need to buy jerry cans for fuel, a jack, tyre pump, torque wrench for wheels.

#I bought and tested a Go pro clone called an SJ4000 last winter. It's fantastic and about 25% of the price of a Go pro at £50.00. So I bought another!

Filip and jayarrbee36 like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just checking, did you get permission from S397 for the logo?

David O'Reilly likes this.
  6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Have fun racing !

David O'Reilly likes this.
  7. David O'Reilly

No word on that one Lazza.
    But I am thinking of doing a cheeky "Sim Racers Performance Guide" decal on the car and the dash where its in camera.

BTW this has been part of my homework watching this one.
    Looks to me like the set is quite understeery, his steering movements etc and the fronts seem to go off.
    Quite close racing with a one make series like this.
    I spent last Sat at Rockingham embedded in a team to learn what I could. (Driver Briefing, fettling cars, fuelling cars, seeing tyres bought and fitted).
    No HUD mode in these so I bought a digital egg timer to Velcro somewhere. I will also be lost without my crew chief Geoffrey.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    jayarrbee36 likes this.