rF2 crashing on dedicated server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JohnW63, Jul 3, 2020.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Over the last week, I started getting issues where rF2 would crash. Drivers would be driving and then see no other cars and then it would say, "Connection Lost". When I would remote into my server, I would see the error " the program rF2.exe has stopped working. Try to find solution online ? " or something very much like that. I can close the error and even reboot the server and launch rF2 again, but it would do the same thing in 10 minutes.

My server host says they found nothing in the logs but that the computer was disconnected from Steam.

I haven't had trouble remoting into the server or uploading files to it, so I don't think it's a connection issue. rF2 just crashes.

Is there anything I should be looking into ? I found web reports that Steam has had issues of late with people saying they couldn't login. Could this be the cause ?

Dave Hutton likes this.
  2. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Same for us since the last rF2 update ~3 weeks ago.

After scrubbing another race night, we did some troubleshooting / testing. The problem presented on every track we tried, tracks with which had no problems prior to the update.

Don't know yet whether coincidental or a fix but simply running steamcmd.exe on our remote dedicated server seems to have fixed it for us with a ~48 MB update. Look for the SteamCMD folder on your server...

3. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

We have been having the same issue at the F3-Fanatics now for 2-3 weeks with players games freezing and/or disconnecting. I re-installed but used the old .json files and was still bad but have no issue so far with new .json's. I'll see what happens when we get some more traffic on today.

!4_Roy_Wynn likes this.
  4. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Our server was fine this evening, the only fix that I knowingly applied was running steamcmd.exe

5. !4_Roy_Wynn

!4_Roy_Wynn Registered

The MSRL Racing league had issues with this as well as at least 2 other leagues that I'm a wear of and the steamCMD update did not resolve the issue . However after several weeks. The hosting network admin at NRT got advice from another client that perhaps the JSON files had some how been corrupt. with clean fresh JSON file's and editing them to league preferences. The issue was solved Thanks Dave @NRT

nonamenow likes this.
  6. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Dave is The Man for us, too :)

!4_Roy_Wynn likes this.
  7. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

We had problems again last weekend during the races. Many discos, one or two rF2 lockups but Dedicated Server never crashed.

Trying the new JSON fix now which as simple as deleting the existing JSON files (I moved them to a folder and zipped to"quarantine" them) and starting Dedicated Server which creates new ones.