rF2 Build 85 with a Radeon HD6970

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyD, May 27, 2012.

1. TonyD

TonyD Registered

I’ve read a few opinions here that seem to favour nVidia cards over AMD for quality reasons, although I think this is more a case of how ISI’s graphic engine works with the latter. From previous experience with Race07, I have found that it is better to set the quality in the driver rather than in the game for some reason, and rF2 seems to be similar.

After a bit of tinkering, I have set the AA to 4x in the driver (override application settings) and disabled it in-game. I have also set the Texture Filter Quality to ‘High Quality’, and the AA Mode to ‘Super-sampling AA’, all other settings at default. I then set the AF in-game to 8x (16x works as well, but with my old eyes I cannot see any improvement with this, and it probably costs a couple of FPS). The rest of my graphic settings are in the attached screen shot (environment reflections still cause an fps hit, without any noticeable improvement in detail).

With these settings I am getting a decently high frame rate (VSYNC locked at 60fps when few cars are in view, and dropping to ~50fps at Miller with 10 cars in view). The image quality is very good, as can be seen in the attached screen shot taken at Malaysia. Previously, using in-game settings with the driver settings at default, AF made the quality worse with lots of shimmering (particularly with the edge lines), so I ran with it disabled. This obviously detracted from the experience, so I haven’t been spending much time with rF2, but the latest patch got me started up again, along with a desire to improve the graphic quality. With my current settings it looks very realistic, which obviously adds to the immersion, and now my other sims are suffering from a lack of attention :)

Hopefully others with similar cards might find this useful.

2. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

I am using the same video card, seems to work well. I have an issue where the replays are squatted left to right. I should add I am running 3 monitors, but this issue is specific to rF2, no problems with rF1 or pCARS.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

F3.5 always looks dirty, take a pic of FISI and we should see some real gleam off the paintwork.....

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

AA Super Sampling without doubt will always produce the best image quality, and of course it also eats more FPS than other AA methods. If you managed to get minimum 50FPS in average, you're lucky! :)

5. TonyD

TonyD Registered

A bit more than luck, actually – a lot of tweaking of the cpu speed before frame rates improved to this level. At default my cpu would have been running rF2 at 4.0GHz (being lightly distributed over 4 cores, which would trigger the max turbo boost state), and it ran slower than my previous Phenom-II at 3.80Ghz, which was not unexpected. Currently I have the max turbo set at 4.40GHz, and it’s only at this speed that it performs this well.

I don’t know how much of a performance increase Build 85 provided as I haven’t spent too much time with rF2 previously, as mentioned above. I have been trying to get better performance in a flight sim (IL-2: Cliffs of Dover), but a recent update improved frame rates massively with my cpu, as the multi-threading has supposedly been greatly improved (it now runs on all 8 cores with an average loading around 30 – 40%). It is a bit strange how rF2 seems to be influenced quite heavily by cpu frequency, even though the actual cpu load is fairly light, but I have seen this elsewhere.

I don’t normally run any game with a frame counter on, as this tends to reduce the immersion somewhat (for me, at least). Being able to run a game with the highest possible graphics quality at a frame rate that is sufficiently smooth is always my aim, and it appears that I have now achieved this with rF2. Hopefully this won’t change with future updates and cars/tracks.

6. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thank you for your tips, gonna try this on my HD5750.
    Graphics are become better and better with this new Beta 85, A good step forward in my opinion.

7. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

My 6970 bit the dust, borrowing a mates 5870 ATM but have a replacement 7970 en route hopefully get a nice improvement :)

8. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  9. hdj

hdj Registered

Interested to know what you get. I have the same card.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the tips in the OP, not had my HD7850 that long so not had a chance to fiddle with that myself. Copied your settings and the game does look better, lost a few FPS but nothing massive so will keep it like this for now. Just wondering whether to turn on Vsync or not...guess that might help it remain "smoother" should I chose to do so, will fiddle with that later.

11. TonyD

TonyD Registered

I use the 'Video' setting for VSYNC, it seemed to work better than the other options on my card - I logged it with AfterBurner, and there was very little variation with no 'tearing' or stutters.

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I have two radeon 6950 1 GB and before build 85 i could only use medium/some high settings. Shadows always on low otherwise I got 5 fps in the start with many cars...

I have recognized i big difference in build 85 so I could max it out... and before I was a bit dissapointed about the graphics but now it was wonderful. But the FPS was to unstable, sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it was not good at all, so I lowered a bit but still it looked beautiful. This was on my old 1440x900 screen. Yesterday I purchased a new 1920x1080 and of course I had to lower again. 15-30 fps in the start and 30+ in the race is OK because it looks so beautiful :D

I hope it will get better in the coming versions, and I will try this, turn off AA and AF in game and use catalyst settings only. If I could get a few FPS more it would be perfect. Thank you.

13. johnny cass

johnny cass Registered

Thanks for these settings they work like a charm on my 7850.

trying all week to get the game working correctly.

Just booted up monaco with hdr and my god it looks excellent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012