RF2 BUILD 69 FULL INSTALLER - packages folder missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

seem to be missing the packages folder after a full install , have registered and ran the game still cannot see the folder.

2. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

In fact seem to be missing the whole "DATA" folder

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Its ok its in my documents I forgot to change it to the same directory , So stupid how applications want to shove everything in my documents ( I'm aware of the reasons) but still stupid.

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not that they "want" to put it there, it's just they nedd to start somewhere when asking for a folder. They could just as well start with c:\ but I guess that wouldn't make anyone happier :)

It's up to user to specify folder, not up to software to guess his preferences :)

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Yes but by default most apps install crap to "my documents" rather than keeping it to the game directory the user sets , at least Rf2 lets you set it manually.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Game directories aren't always writeable in modern operating systems, which is why it's done quite often. Otherwise, it's so that you have save games (things you want to backup) all in one location. But perhaps if you had read the text on the installer you'd have known where it was installing to anyway? It did ask you where to put the files... :)

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Sure that's why I said in my first post ("So stupid how applications want to shove everything in my documents ( I'm aware of the reasons) but still stupid.")

The issue was that this was my second time installing the game , the first time I manually changed everything to where I wanted it to second Time I forgot that I had to change it My mind was shutting down after 9 hours of reformatting and reinstalling everything :p ( Imaged a solid install now though so should not be an issue in the future )

Like I said "at least Rf2 lets you set it manually." which is already far better than allot of games which don't give you a choice and install other crap all over the place , which can make it really hard to manage my pc in the anal way that I like to lol.

Separate to that I would have though that RF2 would have some windows based front end that let users select mods or something or just auto download from servers. This was something Battlefield 2 had , it was community built and was basically an out of game mod manager that auto installed mod content and kept them up to date like steam , BF2 mods were also around 600 -1.5GB making them quite comparable to the mod content size in RF2.

A good VB or c++ programmer could probably knock up something perfect within 4-8 weeks what's that like 10-18k USD for a freelancer ? I would be happy to pay an extra £3-£5 on-top of the 30 for the game If it had decent mod management.

Obviously for a good number of Sim racers and people that have used RF1 for the last couple of years anything you throw at them wont be an issue but for more casual sim racers the whole mod and package instillation system as it is now is a needless hurdle and realy sets the game/sim back.

Thanks for your time responding though , Keep up the good work sorry to rant its cold and wet outside !

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012