REPLACED rF2 Build 494 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Look at your MP / PLR files in userdata
    If no one can download the mod they can't join..........

2. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Do you care if I use this as my signline? You will be credited, of course

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can I just point out there's a Hosting Help forum in the Technical section... much easier to detail problems and steps already taken in a dedicated thread rather than in the 5xth page of a general build thread...

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thanks, but is it a necessity, if I don't make use of the get mod feature? I mean I just share the vmod I made via skype or one-click hosts... mates will have the components anyway...

//

Lazza, I don't really care :p It's a problem with build 494, so it's perfectly legit to me to discuss it here... I just rolled along conversation already... It's the big theme of this build. I don't see the problem.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Any chance of getting a new build today or tomorrow?

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Sure, I know... But has he made a topic about his genious work-around?
    So his, take this elsewhere is not legit imo, cause there is no elsewhere... Sure with such a huge problem on hosting in 494, the hosting help area should be flooded with topics, but there are none... Because it is such a big problem regarding 494 and right when you log into the rF2 section you're blasted in the face with 494 topic. Of course it's debated there, because it's easy...

If someone has the holy grail solution to the problem, post in this topic every time someone asks about a hosting question here, in this very topic (a lot to ask) or create a topic in the main rF2 forum about solutions, it would be bumped up all the time... Or in the hosting help area for that matter, but it wouldn't keep people from asking the questions in this topic to the same extent as a 'solution-topic' on the main rF2 board would.

Those are my thoughts, but I think I'm not alone in thinking posting or on the main board is the most convinient, maybe not the most correct way, but most convinient and humans like easyness :p

I'm just a bit tired of the problem by now and seeking out every possibility of a work-around... It's probably only a new build though is my recent conclusion...

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Where are the karts alreadyyyy?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Trying to discuss potential technical workarounds in between other people legitimately talking about other build issues or looking for build news, and trying to keep track of what different people have done (generally "I've tried everything" usually means someone spent 10 mins copying what 2 other people did, probably badly, without resolving their issue) just isn't an attractive prospect. Anyway, you're already waiting for the next build, so what's the point? :p

Our server situation is perhaps different, and maybe what we're doing won't work for everyone. I already said there may be other issues at play, something out of our control, it's just weird we're not having issues and we don't seem to be alone, albeit perhaps in the minority. I don't do the mod side of things, our other admin cleaned up the vmod etc for spaces and all that. I didn't change what we do on the ports side; our server has all ports open above 45000 or so, all servers we run have their ports changed from default, separated by around 2000 (the two ports defined for each server, that is), with each server offset by 3000 as well. So there's very little chance of 'overlap' even if ports do move around a bit. Skin transfers are off, who knows if that's a factor.

That's all I'm saying. I don't think it's worthwhile trying to find solutions in here when, for example, I find it difficult to follow your posts to find what you've already done/tried, and just as importantly anyone else coming along and trying to find a solution has to work out it's buried in here somewhere. And as I said, again, while it's working fine for us and others I'm not confident that everyone would have the same results, so I'm certainly not going to start a thread saying, "here's the cure!"

9. Tony H

Tony H Banned

well our server isn't in a data centre either.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The HTTP server does crash. This is a fact. Yes you can pay close attention to the HTTP server monitoring the SessionInfo URL and restart the servers when needed. I actually scripted it with PowerShell so it happens automatically. But totally agree with you that admins should be able to handle this sort of stuff. Not saying this bug shouldn't be fixed (well it already is fixed in later builds), but it isn't that hard to work around.

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It may be that skin xfers are disabled that you are doing better. In my league we take advantage of skin xfers and that all runs over the HTTP server. The space problem has been blown out of proportion. The server name and mod name are fine with spaces, it is just the filename that can't have problems and breaks GetMod 100% of the time. Actually spaces don't impact the join button, just retrieval of the vmod. Removing spaces from the server and mod name is just a placebo. Your servers for example have spaces in the server name and mod name and you're not having problems which says something.

On our server the HTTP server will crash several times a day and other times it can go several days. We haven't started our season yet and lots of teams have been working on skins so heavy use of the HTTP server for skin xfers is most likely the problem.

12. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have to disagree with you, Noel. This is what solved the prob our server had. It may not have been a prob for you, but as soon as 494 was released, we had a significant number of people (not all) who could not get on the server. I re-made the rfmod without spaces and it worked after. Not placebo, I don't know if it has to do with the mod itself, some server settings or what, but it worked when I re-made the rfmod with the exact same settings as before, I just renamed the rfmod and the server name was changed.

13. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

We did It in our server and nothing, 2 mins after we loaded our server nobody could join.

14. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

to judge on, a series of experiments is necessary because it may possibly also be a temporary problem

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The extended testing in unstable, along with Jeremy working on it, has found a number of reasons, including one that has been around a long time but obviously wasn't affecting enough people to ever be reported.

Experiments certainly aren't necessary with 494, that's what the unstable is/was for. The only workaround I trust, and that's because the league I am used it successfully, is to relaunch the server at set times, and get everyone in right after it comes back on the MM, after that it wasn't joinable with any real consistency. So getting in the server as soon as it goes up was the way to do it.

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I've tried all the basic stuff... I only have those 4 ports open (added the getmod one as well...) Made a vmod without space, rarely make one with actually... Keeping it low on components and all... I guess I can't do much more, other than getting mates to join within 2 mins... And wait for build 5xx :) Thanks anyhow... Some are lucky I guess, some are not... No work-around.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Don't confuse the "file name" with the mod name. It is quite possible you changed both at the same time. The join button has nothing to do with GetMod. The problem with spaces that Tim first hinted about was GetMod related and only referencing the filename.

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

We´re having today last round of camaro cup. We postponed last week but we decided to finish the champ in 494 current conditions. We´ve asked all drivers to avoid anything wich could potentiate problems (skin transfer, rfmod transfer, setup transfer, etc). Lets see how it goes.
    We also postponed any new champ announce (should have been announced this week) till next build comes.
    Take your time guys and bring a 5xx nice and clean.

PS- RF2 without 494 issues+494 good content+new F1SR UI=

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

I´m amazed by the power of the new UI.

Imagine: new build without matchmaker issues+new UI+ ALTM off option in plr file + seat pitch orientation ingame= boom!

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Have you tried changing the ports the server will use? Aren't there two ports: the simulation port and the HTTP server port? They default to 54297 and 64297, you're only listing one of those as your opened ports which suggest you've changed the HTTP server port, but it's not clear. And I'm not sure what your third port is for. Of course I don't try to fix problems we don't have, and we have our highest 20000 ports all open, so if there's a mystery port or two it doesn't matter - it's available anyway.

Have you checked what ports the server is actually listening on?

I don't know whether you've done these, because I can't be bothered searching through pages of this thread trying to find out. Without knowing it seems possible to me (as literally one of the possibilities) that you haven't actually tried changing anything, just opening those 3 ports and it's not working, and you're saying there's no workaround. Without actually trying to work around it. I could be wrong, but as I keep on saying if you had a thread asking for help and detailing what you'd done we'd all know where we stand.

Yeah, could be. We don't use skin transfers for our league and while we have a public server I did turn off skin transfers for that as well, so maybe that is a factor. Every time I tried browsing to our servers as per your post instructions it's worked, and we use getmod for the vmod on both servers, so we would have noticed if they'd stopped working.

Anyway, hopefully in a day or two this'll all be irrelevant.