REPLACED rF2 Build 494 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I had a league race on Tuesday as well, we had some no-shows who maybe gave up trying to get in the server before we started asking, and 1 guy who wasn't able to get in who we knew wanted to. I've experienced it first hand, it was pretty annoying in my opinion. I felt bad. But it's still hard for me to know how annoying it was, I had a sense of guilt to go along with it.

2. 88mphTim

There were some changes to the way suspension is handled by the physics. This could literally affect everything. It's not a different model, but a more detailed one. I was told it might help reduce rollovers in the Civic, but it could be felt driving if someone is really tuned to the sim. This wasn't in the build notes of 494.

3. 88mphTim

Our league restarted the server and had everyone join as quickly as possibly before the join button shut down.

4. 88mphTim

That answers the question people keep asking about me commenting here, and why I keep replying. Most of those people are here because they are disappointed in some way. Those people especially deserve some acknowledgement. It's not always going to be me agreeing with them, but being respectful enough to respond seems like duty number 1, even if it means I'm making up for time spent in the forum in the evening.

5. argo0

argo0 Registered

I would notice! I think its a great feature of the graphics, and very immersive. Just raced Silverstone with Overcast weather, sun was popping in and out from behind clouds and brightening the whole scene in a believable manner. Very cool.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Love hearing these "core" physics/tyre engine advancements. Hopefully it's made mention of in the next build notes just for the sake of general public awareness (people love hearing about these sort of "core/engine driving model" advancements since pure race-driving physics is the #1 reason most are here for.

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Good to hear :) Good on you !

8. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

I'm positively one of those rF2 lovers, praying that it will soon get to where we want it to be, solid as a rock.

Just a quick question: who's in charge of the Marketing Departament at ISI?
    May I respectfully suggest that instead of calling a WIP build "unstable XXX" should it be called "PROVISORY BUILD XXX"...?:rolleyes:

9. 88mphTim

We don't market the unstable build in any way. Hasn't even been retweeted by the main rf2 account. ;)

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

:cool::cool::cool:

11. argo0

argo0 Registered

View attachment 11891
    Hi, sorry, but can anyone help me with this? HDR on gives me these weird reflections off the glass and inside of cockpit. Player detail full. Is it a known bug? If you look at the screenshot you can see these weird blobs, it looks like the lighting has 'gone wrong'.
    Any advice? If its just me, I'll reinstall, but my games running well otherwise.

12. TVR_Guy

TVR_Guy Registered

I got the same "Process failed to allocate memory" error in 494. Went back to 382 with the same settings. No CTD or messages. 382 is working just fine.

13. 88mphTim

You mean the greenish color over on the left pillar?

14. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, my lousy screenshot isn't great I'm afraid, but you've spotted what I'm on about. Its actually all over the windscreen as well, and most of the cockpit actually. It moves, disappears and reappears dependant on the lighting. Much worse at night but discernible during the day as well. Only when HDR is on.

15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes I had the "Process failed to allocate memory" in 494 once too, and I have never had it before, there may be something in this possibly.

It was at the end of loading Nordschleife, a big track, and I had Visual Studio running at the time but with no project open in it, so I just closed that and then it worked. But I have 16GB ram tho, perhaps it was VS, or perhaps it is mem leak in RF, who knows, it's only ever happened with 494 tho.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Not much you can do about it. I have it too.

Looks to me like there's some color information "lost in translation" in ISI's HDR pipeline.

I've checked if rFactor2 is using RGBA16F format for HDR and it does - at least for the main render target. This should be sufficient format, offering enough color precision, but I'm guessing either ISI needs to work on how they use the available range or check the entire HDR mechanism for potential precision loss issues.

In any case nothing you can fix from outside.

I believe we all have these color precision issues with HDR. I see them in car cockpit's during day (just look around - at ceiling or any dark corner in cockpit).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  17. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Had "Process failed to allocate memory" once on the loading up of a brand newly installed 3rd party mod. 2nd time worked fine, VS always off on my system.

18. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Maybe its related to creation of the cbash file, can't recall but I may have cleared them out when I loaded the track up at the time, and PRC Steve had a new track so would have had no cbash. Just a guess. I am sure I have plenty of memory.

19. argo0

argo0 Registered

Thanks Tim & K - appreciate your time and thought. Hope this gets sorted out.

20. 88mphTim

rF2 is a 32bit application and can;t use all of that memory. The fact you've not had it before doesn't relate, mem usage will go up or down very slightly build to build. use the new trace option to see how close you are to the line at all times.