rF2 biggest challenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That calculation can't be true as server does not save every players all physics data. Most of the physics data is calculated and presented only locally in players computer, and not sent over internet to a server. The server replay file is actually smaller than player local replay data, as it does not record any car with full fidelity (unless server host is driving in race) simply because the data does not exist.

In offline AI race the replay file can get pretty big depending on how AI cars are saved into replay. I can't really comment how much rF2 would eat data with full fidelity, but I think such option should be available... At least so that the suspension parts would move and align correctly in replay!

2. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I remember a tool, available for Nascar 2003 (Replay Analyzer), which was able to analyze telemetry data from the replay and i can assure you that in that game the server replay size was way bigger than the client replay.

I dont know iRacing and i have not interest in it, but i guess Kaemmer didnt rewrite from scratch the replay system and that the 5x size of its replays is due to the trasmission of physical data.

3. Johannes Rojola

I remember that tool too, but it is still very little data compared to physics calculation data :) Of course servers should have option of what data they want to store, I don't see why telemetry data from all cars should be that important..

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

And many other thing's. To mention one, alone the deflection of the tire wall while passing a curb with a open wheeler's inner Wheel and how the flex carcass transmits forces, that it is visible even above the tire. The best i can feel the not equal rotating forces.

I can't see something deflecting on AC's tires, even not visual.

5. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I for one buy all decent racing sims .... I'm going to be buying Race07 on the steam sale later today :) $6.50 for Race07 and all the expansions - can't beat that.

6. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

IMO Race07 isnt realistic to drive.
    The tires feel strange.

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Would like to know what you think of it.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

iRacing replays (edit: or rather, saving of them) were initially turned off when the sim launched, because they were HUGE. You would end a race and not be able to go back and watch the start, either, because the buffer was filled. But again, things change, iRacing reduced their size, added cameras, field of view, allowed saving of said replays, etc - after they were public. I'd like to think that we'd be given a shot at doing the same. :)

Edit: And again, I feel I need to point out that driving physics came first for us. They were the priority in the early stages, we're improving graphically, and eventually we'll work towards ways users can share that improvement on places like Youtube.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Most clients were not seeing most of the cars. Same back to GPL, where as a client you would get the 5 or so infront, and 1 behind in your replay, while the host had 20 cars (the max).

10. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

So far there is no other sim that I can think of that feels as good as rfactor2 does. The feeling of the physics is just not matched anywhere else, and that's why I keep playing rfactor2. Its just amazing.

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Thanks for the clarification about iRacing. :)

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Physics is number one for me, I do like replays & hope to see them improve if possible & where possible,

I'm happy to think the main focus for ISI is always physics, everything else is second

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

No, not always, but different cars require different abilities of the physics engine.
    rF2 came with a physics revolution (tires) and now things are getting tweaked.
    They re always improving in every area. In rF1 there were improvements in all areas, graphics, physics, content, user-interface, server and multiplayer, ai, etc.
    rF2 comes with more complex physics, so the focus might be a bit there, but that does not mean that the other programmers stop improving their stuff.
    In the beginning of rf2 people complained about ugly graphics, now they are rare ;).

14. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

I think it's an improvement, but I can live without. iRacing does not have and is the best time simulator (iRacing has nothing). Graphs also Assetto Corsa is a breakthrough that helps the realism.
    http://games.reveur.de/images/screenshots/assettocorsa-1361301650_5123d092ad1c1.jpg

rFactor2 has many good things (tire deformation, realroad, rain and dry [This what I like], night and day ...) but has many negative points. (very bad optimization, graphics prehistoric, online, clutch malfunctions, replays, prehistoric loading times ... and a long etcetera.

In my case, the negatives are very annoying. The TP looks and a fully finished game, little can be improved, everything is well done, very professional. However in rFactor2 there are many things should improve.

If rFactor2 optimization were to approach the iRacing (on my pc 200FPS + -) my opinion would change much, but have to reduce the graphics to exceed 30 FPS at Silverstone or Monaco with no pilot bothers me. I do not enjoy anything of the simulator for this reason.

Hopefully soon find ways to improve this.

15. yifter

yifter Registered

Forgive my harsh words, but if F. Alonso could read this, i think he would say: This is a load of BS! sry

For the image: nice image, no dynamics. There you go ...

16. coops

coops Banned

AC: cant even race a league, a long way to go yet...
    IRACING: so over rated its unbelievable, only things i like scanned tracks and sounds......
    RF2: bagged out over trying to bring new things to SIM RACING and not doing it quick enough...LOL
    In my eyes RF2 is the best just cant play anything else.
    RF2 is its own best competitor as no other SIM is pushing the boundaries like RF2.

17. Arandor

Arandor Registered

Really mean no offense (too), but this image is a good example: I don't understand some people why do are saying this is a nice image?
    I mean yes it looks "good", but this is only an oversaturated, to blurry picture that is far-far away from the reality. These intense colors blowing out my mind. The colors are looking just not correct.
    Take a picture from an (IRL) race : It will be much less saturated.

I know rF2 isn't the most advanced software graphically, but the mood of the pictures/graphic in every part of the day in every weather conditions seems to me correct. Not saying it is accurate (photorealistic), but the mood is correct everytime. And I think that's the point. (try a race at afternoon after a light shower when the clouds are just leaving.. it's amazing)

So I don't like the "gamey" (if this word exists in english :) ) graphics like RRE or AC.

*Sorry for the "novel" :) I'm not able to write anything less than 10 sentences.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  18. Johannes Rojola

Dont get fooled by this assumption. If you take a picture of anything, it is quite low saturated as camera is not as dynamic as human eye. Eye can see much more vivid saturation in normal conditions than any camera. The question is, do we want to emulate EYE or CAMERA with our graphics.

Anyway, that picture does make AC look very bad. But it might be just because the car itself looks bad (real life).

19. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

This Alonso character doesn't listen or pay attention to anybodies posts. He's only on here to peddle the same old repetitive rFactor2 bashing sh*te.

Crap graphics.. pah.. whatever.[​IMG]

20. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Tim, can you please clarify whether or not the rF2 replays are showing the actual physics/vehicle dynamics we drive with or a simplified version of how the cars move?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.