rF2 biggest challenger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Again, I am talking about braking/entry/turn-in not exit :). Alonso was mostly only harsh with the Renault due to specific tyre characteristics and specific Renault car design characteristics in order to extract the most potential from them.

2. Domi

Domi Registered

Indeed. Since 2007 he never used that kind of driving style on corner entry anymore.

The game feels good, I also agree with you with the lack of "mini corrections". However I don't know if the tire model is finished or not. My main worry anyway is the FFB, there is an important deadzone in the center of the wheel... rF2 and iRacing with the "min force" setting manages this much better atm.

3. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Oh my goodness! I have never loved rf2 so much! Have to admit I was very excited to try AC but after 10 minutes I shut it down and immediately started up rf2 for a comparison just to make sure I was just in a bad mood or not into driving at the moment, etc.

Nope! Rf2 was still divine and now I am feeling bad b/c the general consensus seems so positive and I just don't understand it and b/c everyone is so positive about it I feel like there will be a negative impact to rf2 which I was OK with before when I thought I was going to buy AC but no way now so now I am feeling greedy and I want AC to disappear now and I know that is not the best thing but that is how I feel b/c rf2 is so obviously the best and now AC is going to assume the spotlight b/c people don't understand and also I believe many will not want to do all the fiddling they have to do (both developers and drivers) with rf2.

So I am truly sad about AC's utter failure and imminent success b/c, to their credit clean interface, good graphics, possibly easier to mod, etc.

However, there is a positive side to this and that is that ISI can now be officially congratulated for kicking the crap out of AC and please don't be offended by lack of sportsmanship, etc. in that statement and Tim you are a class act and so is Kunos but man is that sim a total POS. I am truly stunned.

4. Miro

Miro Registered

5. Miro

Miro Registered

Double post.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  6. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, I wont buy AC until they have something really nice to compete with against rf2.

As long as AC dont match the things that are important in RF2, I dont see the need to buy it. Fancy graphic and shaders and perfomances will come in the end to RF2 anyway.

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

[​IMG]

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Warning: Bad physics can lead to ostrich egg phobia!

9. Grubby

Grubby Registered

With a playable demo released today for Assetto Corsa, it will be interesting to see the feedback.
    To be able to download and play you need to have a paycode from your purchase of NetKar Pro.
    I'm not fussed if it's good, bad or anything in between as I'm happy with what rF2 has delivered so far and can only see it getting better, if AC is better it will only push ISI even more to be the number one sim. Competition is good for everyone, that's why we race Sims:)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well I have a feeling it's not a limitation of the tyre model or physics engine, but rather just the way they did the specific car, as I've seen videos of other cars under braking that looked the complete opposite, and seemed to be acting really nice and alive, with good handling movement requiring much more driver input/mini corrections, etc. So I still think its going to be a very good sim :)

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

You have to consider that Elise has ABS and some electric control, so it is very easy to drive! however, let's wait the full version before give sentences!
    I'm happy if AC gives to rF2 some competition, so ISI can just work harder and harder to elevate his standard!:)

12. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

i cant believe what people write here :) but ok...spinelli i was saying to that there is no perfect sim out right now..bla,bla...i love rf2

same like other sims i chose to drive.but i will always give a try to all sims out there if i can.so im not talking which is better or not,i

will chose which one suit me and my skills.but i always try to chose harder ones and more realistic..bla,bla..

i like to some default setups to so what!?if it fits me why to change some major things??and you chose mazda i think :) mazda dont

have so much to tweak i think,so im not surprised about default setup..and judging from videos i didnt expect from guy who drived

real racing car.did that lotus on video drive alonso or senna??someone who have some basic racing experiences should know that

there is different racing styles,so some one drive aggressive smooth other very smooth,one like understeer other oversteer,one

prefer softer other harder suspensions...and i dont believe that alonso would drive that megane like that if there is no one inside or if

he drive a race with that car.i think you know that already but,to be fast you must correct all errors to minimum so depend of

driving style and setup so some sliding can help you in some points if you familiar with that kind of setup and bla,bla..show me video with race in that car and the finish position of that car driven like that please

and i think i always need more practice with road cars because there is no setup(i mean suspension not tire pressure),and road cars always tend to understeer what is contra of my
    driving style.when i tried corrvette default setup fit my style,so i did just minor tweaks at beginning.and i saw here people are complaining car is to hard to drive..to me not

so like i sad we can talk about this things for years,i saw few post really interesting to read but some not.i dont see the point

people here comparing racing games in rf2 forum in this way.like i sad i will support every sim which fit my needs.so even i will give

a try to arcadish games if some one ask me.im happy when my hobby is still alive,and product coming in my hands to try it and judge which is better for me.but i will never say isi do this or isi this is wrong if i didnt try that car or track by my self or complaining

about anything about game when its not finish jet,when its gold i will give my feedback about what i think is wrong.only thing now what i can is to give some feedback about what they need to know and what i can give if can help.but what keeps me away is

some silly post in this forum or good posts ended with some silly discussions ,im happy rf2 manage to keep his way to day light and come finally in my hands, and ac and nkp,gpl,gtr,gtr2,rbr,lfs...
    i little tired and dont know what to write any more but i have so much

what i wish for rf2 is to people to practice more how to drive and behave when online and rf2 will be much better sim :) (now is 60% people who know how to behave on race track so we need 40% more,more,less)its sad that 40 %keeps me away of open online servers :( (that behave is for forums to)
    and there is no stable rf2 league i think right now..maybe i wrong..but to be honest i didnt look for because im not in the mood for leagues right now :)
    i hope i dindt write something wrong to start some wrong discussions here
    cheers

13. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

You can turn the ABS off with ctrl-A (its on by default even with all aids off)

14. frankwer

frankwer Registered

It`s sad to see the fanboyism in this forum. Turn off all aids in AC and the Lotus is hard to drive fast. The tire model in AC is better then rF2, dunno if all the power of rF2`s tire model is unleashed yet.

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I think that's purely subjective and entirely up to each individual driver.

At this point, I personally don't think the AC tech demo even trumps rF1 in the physics department.

16. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Okay here is more extensive review with comparison of rF2 and AC tech preview. I know it might not be good idea to do comparisons, or maybe not at these forums. But anyway...

I gave AC another longer run, where I learned the track so I can really push the Lotus car. I must say it is great fun, even with such a mockery of an automobile. All driving feels natural, there are no oddities or stupidities. It feels good under the limit and over the limit. FFB is great, I can feel how the front tires crumble under heavy turning. And the FFB is not killing my G27 and shaking the whole computer table. The clutch "simulation" is nice to have, but without FFB shifters it is totally useless. When you "miss" the gear, just quickly press clutch and you are back again. Uh, not very realistic... There don't seem to be engine starter in AC, or I didn't find it. Anyway, you cannot stall the car.

FPS is great, ~75 with everything maxed except reflections at low. And it stays there, in every position and situation. Very solid and consistent. Even the game has very nice graphics engine, I don't maybe like the style of art direction. Everything is so bland and sterile. But that is just my personal opinion. And the grass... okay it is just a grass, but it seems that there is no excuse for flat textures anymore.

So where this leaves rFactor2? After my AC run I wanted to make quick comparison and took Clio to Estoril. First thing I noticed was that my FPS were much lower, about 50. Obviously the visual quality were nowhere near to AC standards, so the lower fps is an issue. As a modder I happen to know that the low fps is not because of physics simulation, but because the graphics engine is just... dysfunctional (or just very bad optimization). When it comes to driving, rFactor2 still seemed to feel more interesting than AC. Maybe it was because Clio is essentially a race car, not street car like Elise. But driving model in rF2 is seems to be more lively, maybe because better track surface simulation or something. Track in AC felt flat. I then took Clios to Sebring and I got a lot better fps, and the track looked visually even better than Estoril. That is another problem with rF2, it is not consistent and solid in its performance. You never know what you get, sometimes things look bad and perform badly. Sometimes vice versa, usually anything random between. Maybe that is because of the open structure, and time shows if AC will eventually suffer from same symptoms.

AC seems grow into what pCARS, GT5, and Forza should be. Nice looking game with realistic, believable physics. The idiocy of those three titles I mentioned is completely gone with AC. Yes, AC feels more like driving simulator, rather than racing simulator which rF2 essentially is. One thing what will eventually decide in which camp I will go to, is how the AC modding is supported. It is definitely a game which inspires modding work with its solid and consistent graphics engine. Hard to say anything about physics side at this point thou. It might be a drag as well. But time will tell, unfortunately there are modding issues with rF2 which does not inspire modding as much as with rF1.

Conclusion is that rF2 has better racing simulation philosophy behind it, but AC shows how it should be done. I really hope that rF2 development will tackle all the numerous issues if it wants to compete with AC.

17. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

What I see in this video is exactly the same things I see and feel while playing AC Tech-Preview.
    I don't see these wheel corrections you're talking about. The car seems stable and pretty easy to drive, just like in AC.
    I already bought rF2 and really love it, and what I see in AC pleases me. I will buy it.
    Future will tell which sim I'll play most, or maybe which sim I won't play anymore (just like I don't play iRacing anymore since the first day rF2 Beta came out) depending on which sim will evolve the best way, the quicker, with the best content and mods.

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

+1 same here the more i drive it and get to grips the bigger the smile it gives me :D very nice feel to it, also seems to be a deadzone on my t500 when going straight but still having a blast in pro mode with the shifter. Just wish the TD had come with a decent race car. Its great to have options, kunos have done well just like isi.

19. 10speed

10speed Registered

The video shows many similarities between the game and reality. I won't judge AC's realism but just have to say it feels sensational to me. The FFB has everything you need and unlike rfactor2 it does not want to destroy my G25 (very important!). The sound is dull and boring just like the real car ... The graphics look perfect to me, eyecandy everywhere. I was an avid painter for rfactor but won't do any carpainting with rfactor2. Like others said, rfactor2 has its moments where it looks good, but most of the time it's not even a step forward from rfactor1. Overall performance is also better with AC.
    rFactor2 has still so many flaws that after initial testing of the first beta and now build 146 I can't enjoy it for a long time. Realroad, tiremodel and weather are still far away from final so it feels unfinished in so many ways. The cars still try to transform into an aircraft and fly away when you hit a curb too hard, really annoying.
    Yes, the AC tech demo is quite restrictive in its contents and features, yet it feels better composed than rfactor2. What I need to make it perfect is multiplayer, pitstops and more content. I'm quite confident Kunos will deliver and ISI, too. The only question is when? Progress on rfactor2 is really slow so I doubt there will be a 1.0-version before mid 2014. Not sure if I will accept 2008-graphics then.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  20. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Well I know monday/tuesday, when I get my wheel back, what to expect from AC in the future. Like I have stated before, I truly hope that it will be the Gran Turismo of the pc. There is no doubt that it will not make it to the rF2 level of physics on this first attempt (I doubt that it can ever do that), but what I read from ya folks is that few very nice features are presented.

Just a little thought I've had here while reading these testimonials.
    If you have to drive for so long to get an idea is it realistic, is it even competing with rF2, is it a fish or a bird... isnt that already telling you something?
    rF2 tore my pants off during the very first lap I ever did with it, the car was clio, and it was the best sim driving experience so far.
    It doesnt take more than one lap to feel how it feels, and everything after that is to test other scenarios and the car itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.