rF > rF2 compatibility (mods, plugins, addons)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gniewko, Oct 5, 2010.

1. gniewko

gniewko Registered

Do the developers have to rework all their rF jobs in order to make them work in rF2? Discuss it here.

2. Rantam

Rantam Registered

As far as i remember Gjon said in that InsideSimRacing interview that you can't use rF1 stuff directly in rf2, but that you wouldn't need to redo everything in order to use it in rF2.

Anyway it would be good to have some more information in detail. For the moment modders don't know almost anything (or at least we don't) about how to start working for rF2 or how to adapt their WIP projects to the new sim. The sooner we get that information the more content will be available soon after rF2 is released :)

Regards

3. JuanDi Sanchez

JuanDi Sanchez Registered

Hi Rantam. Yes, im totally agree with you as far as Im concerned being part of MMG development.

I'd like to get rid of this post to tell you that the HISTOIC GT & TOURING CARS is the only mod i play on rFactor (very well done, I love classics!), and that rFactor is the only sim I play on my computer (I've bought almost all great tittles; GTL, GTR2, RBR, GTR EVO, GP4...). I dont play them :p

Greetings ;)

4. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Not sure if some ISI member may share with us the plans regarding compatibility between rF1 and rF2. I mean, i'm not asking about having the instructions to do it (despite it would be cool, hehe), but to know when/how the modders are going to get the ISI tools for rF2, documentation or whatever to start thinking how much time and/or resources would take to port a mod (being WIP or finished) to rF2.

Hope it will be before rF2 is released, as to mod takes a lot of time and I'm sure a lot of teams/modders would like to start creating stuff as soon as possible :)

Ps. Gracias indeed for your kind words JuanDi. Me & the other team members really appreciate them :)

5. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

I would really like to see ISI purchased the source code for Bob's Track Builder. That would add immensly towards track creation for rFactor 2.

6. Fredrik Arbegard

Fredrik Arbegard Registered

Don't think that will happen and I don't think it needs to happen either as BTB is well documented and there are lots of tutorials for it so it can't really become any better.
    Only thing needed is support for rF2 tracks which I'm sure Pdiddy will make :)

7. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

I always like the concept of having regular rFactor 2 and have a rFactor 2 "DeLuxe" edition which would include software based on BTB and something like Kangoloosh' carfactory and/or Niels' Trex. Not very useful to make the regular buyer pay for licenses on that software, but to further promote modding and to increase the quality of modding such a package deal might be helpful.

8. Bandare

Bandare Registered

Am I correct in reading above that rF mods wont necessarily work with rF2?

9. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Not without modification. I think you should read it as such that the above modders are asking for an indication of when instructions for conversion will be made available so that they can release it as soon as possible after rF2 launch (and with suitable quality).

10. Philip Oakley

Philip Oakley Registered

I too remember Gjon saying that rF mods would have to be modified for use for with rF2, but I also remember him saying that the mods will be more streamlined and easier to make from scratch.

11. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Good question actually. I think that certain changes have to be made, but on the other side, rfactor 2 has the same game engine as the normal rfactor.

12. cosm1

cosm1 Registered

guys i think it will be the same thing like converting from F1 challenge to rfactor, BUT this time modders have a LOT more of work to do, rain, new tire physic etc..

13. Screenpaparazzi

Screenpaparazzi Registered

Are all upcoming Mods, Tracks^^ etc. in rF2 for free, or do we have to pay 10Euro per Track then and will rF2 beeing "Rent A Game" Concept?:cool:

"Laughing is healthful"
    Holger

Attached Files:

14. Rantam

Rantam Registered

As far as i see to move a car mod from rF1 to rF2 we may face the following (and I'm just doing a brainstorm right now):

• Exporting the 3D model. Probably the .gmt exporter won't change that much, but will have some more options. The latest version of ISI tools for rF1 was released just a few months a go, after not having an update for years. I guess that had sense as rF1 life cycle has reached its end (from the development point of view). Unless rF2 had new shaders and the new objects animations directly implemented in the exporter we may even find that this last version of .gmt exporter for rF1 is actually the first exporter version for rF2. If this is true that may be one of the reasons why Gjon said that moving a mod from rF1 to rF2 is not that hard.
    • Naming and materials. I guess we'll still have the same materials wildcard system that we got in rF1 (WCCARBODY, WCWINDOW, WCEXTRA0, etc) but with increased options. That would make rF1 models compatible in rF2 but to take advantage of the new features the modders would need to spend some time editing the materials. Things like having more customized textures (WCEXTRAx), customized warning lights for different cars in the same mod (now some of them are limited), etc. are very needed and will be probably implemented in rF2 (or i hope so).
    • File structure and car configuration files. In order to make the mod easily moved to rF2 the file structure should be quite similar (i guess we'll still having the .rfm, .veh, and all the .ini files associated to physics, sounds, etc), but again, we may find new kind of files needed to use new features, as well as new parameters available inside the former configuration files. Gjon talked a bit in the InsideSimRacing interview about having a better control of mods and content in rF2. This may mean that in fact the file structure has got some deep changes which may force the modders to work a bit before being able to make their mods available for rF2.

- Physics files. Probably will be the same and even totally compatible with rF2. But for sure there're new parameters available and/or some of the former ones are processed on a different way so may need to be readjusted.
      - Sound files. Probably won't change that much, apart of a few new parameters to have a better control of sounds.
      - .Gen and Damage files. Again, will be probably similar but hopefully will get more detachable objects and more parameters.​
    • User interface. Not sure, but something tells me is not going to be so easy to move rF1 UIs to rF2. Hopefully we'll have more options to create a customized menu system: better support for wide-screen or multiscreen formats, more functions available (for example to be able to set any of the parameters of the game using UI controls instead of just having the option of editing them in the configuration files), and quite a lot of other things. Let's not forget also the HUD, which is hardly customizable on rF1 unless you use a plugin.

In the end i guess a mod just containing one car won't be that difficult to move to rF2. A different thing will be to do it taking advantage of all the new features (animations, refined physics, etc). But of course if we talk of multi-car mods, or almost new standalone games (multi-car mods with customized user interface, HUD, etc) things will be much more complicated.

Just my two cents :)

Best regards

15. RaceDepartment Hardware

RaceDepartment Hardware Registered

Will be very interesting to see just how diffrent it is

16. klo-che

klo-che Registered

And custom names available for leds materials. Let's hope so.

We just have to wait and let them finish the game without pressure. They will send the needed tools in right time and we got enough stuff on rF1 to enjoy.

17. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Yep, custom names would be great if possible also. But just having the possibility of using customized leds would be enough for me :D

I'm agree with you also that is just a matter of letting them finishing rF2. Despite some things may need to wait to be released in future updates i guess many of the things we miss on rF1 will be on rf2 v1 :)

Regards

18. drumbstick

drumbstick Registered

I would think the PM would be able to transfer and even the HDV, but as we are getting whole new tyre system i doubt that will be able to go across

19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I really hope that ISI is planning to include/update the cars and tracks from rF1. I still have far more fun in the Rayzor/rF3/ZR than with any mod and Toban, Mills, and Lienz are my three favorite tracks available for rFactor. I think it would be a great shame to not include them and it would only lead to the community doing it instead, which may result in sub-par conversions.

And for reference, I've probably sampled 100+ cars and 200+ tracks over the years. Their content really is the best around.

20. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Member

Hi mate, nice to see that you are still in business ;-)