Reviewing the AC 427 - SRP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, May 6, 2015.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

I will say, this was a car I was really looking forward to, ever since the first announcement a few years ago! I've seen quite a few Cobras at Sonoma Raceway, and have had dreams of driving the car. This new release is the closest I'll likely get, but it's pretty awesome! I decided to put it on the Sim Racing Paddock "Sim Car Rankings" board. You can read the review at:

http://simracingpaddock.com/pc-racing/rfactor2/rfactor-2-ac-427-review/

For the scores. For fun shenanigans, you can watch this video as well. As a bonus, there is a funny blooper reel which starts at 22:55 :D

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thank you for your review William. I will make sure to watch and hit like later today. :)

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Good watch William, Car puts a smile on your face right from the start(as it did for me). will be awhile before I stop driving these awesome cars..

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Awesome. I like your speaking and presentation style. Looking forward to another great vid.

5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

wow, 82/100 for what has to be one of the best reviewed cars! thats a harsh scale! (which i like btw, leaves lots of breathing room if something just out of this world ever drops) :)

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

rF2 have pampered me with its awesomeness in drive, other titles dont even come close. Great review William :)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Good William

Wonder what he gives AC Cobra/ Longford ................. how much do you give a"Brick" ?

lool

;)

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Assetto Corsa released Cobra - WOOOOOWWWWWWWW SO REALISTICCCC!!! TAKE THAT RF2 HAHAHAHAHA

ISI released Cobra - *crickets

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This was posted on VR then deleted. Now you post it here instead? Lol nice move... :rolleyes:

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

by all means delete this one too.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I think I may have misunderstood your post(s), man.
    Sorry. :)

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Enjoyed the vid, William. You are clearly a pleasant fellow and I also loved the bloopers especially "finally....DOH!".

13. coops

coops Banned

i hope maddison down from iracing posts here with his opinion as he is racing his dads cobra.

14. yusupov

yusupov Registered

now that WOULD be interesting, send him over!

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I was just having a giggle at William in review associating the Assetto Corsa Cobra with a brick. hehe :D

In all honesty it would be my rough translation as well. lol

16. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Thanks for the comments, guys!

In regards to the "Harsh" score, my thoughts on doing Sim Car Rankings are similar to doing real life car reviews. You want to look at the full package, and that's why I opted for the weighted scoring system.

Physics are obviously most important when it comes to a car in a simulation, and the AC 427/Cobra shines there. It is the second-highest I have scored a car for physics to date. Only the MetalMoro MR18 is higher, and that's by a quarter of a point.

However, some of the other elements drag it down. The sounds, while pretty far above Assetto Corsa's Cobra's "Generic V8 FMOD sounds", are still behind the true big block Cobra sound. Interior was knocked down a bit due to weird reflections in parts of the car.

Hopefully you guys found the review objective though, as that was my primary goal. While rFactor 2 is arguably my favorite sim title, my objective is to be fair to the community :)

PS: If I reviewed the AC Cobra... My estimate would be around... maybe 78 or so. AC admittedly does some things better, I.E. a variety of Paint Schemes, including competition liveries, as well as a pretty high-quality model. However, I would see physics, sound, and default setup dragging it down. It's still a great car to drive, but not at the same level as rF2 in my opinion.

17. yusupov

yusupov Registered

yep, youve got my trust & i think a lot of other peoples. we are all "biased", imo as a critic its not only something you shouldnt hide or try to suppress, but be very open & upfront with! if you think rf2 does some things best, then thats just what youre going to think unless someone else does it as well! that kind of stuff should be expressed, & same when its negative -- & if your audience is informed in this way, where they might disagree with you (say they value graphics higher, or think rf2 has the worst physics ever :p) they can still put your interpretation in some kind of context & that can make it valuable to them (ofc some are just going to be mad youre not on their 'side' & thats life).

hope that makes sense, all im really trying to say is, keep doing what youre doing :)

18. coops

coops Banned

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What do people think of the rather rough transition from grip to slippage? It's the only part of the physics and FFB that is a let-down to me. And it is likely unrelated to this car (a general rF2 issue), but this car allows those limits to be explored so thoroughly that the transition reveals itself to be a bit clunky and unrefined, especially compared to the "delicious" rest of the FFB.

Hold the car right at the limit (usually doing a burn-out with this car!!) and then purposely go past the edge. Does it feel like it should when you transition to sliding out of control?

20. Emery

Emery Registered

I've driven a few "high power" rwd cars on street tires in autocross before. 1995-ish Mustang Cobra, 300 hp, 1990-ish Nissan 300ZX twin turbo, and a boosted Mazda 1993ish RX-7tt, ~400 hp. The Mustang Cobra, due to crappy suspension design, generated wheelspin and oversteer on any corner exit unless you walked on eggshells. The Nissan was docile and well-behaved, just like an overpowered Miata. The RX-7tt was a nice handful, easy to generate wheelspin from a standing start, but controllable the rest of the time due to good suspension and wide sticky rubber.

Of these, the AC 427 handles most like that RX-7tt did. Accelerator has to be used carefully or you get wild responses when breaking traction. At cornering speed, you can let it take a set with the tail hanging out. But step over those bounds at your own peril!