Reverse has disappeared

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jimcarrel, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I don't know if it started after I updated to 118 or not. I don't have to use reverse a lot, but it is gone now.
    If I'm in the garage, I can shift from neutral to 1st and back down thru neutral to reverse, but as soon as I've shifted into 2nd - no more reverse. I doesn't even matter if I restart computer. Once I shift past 1st - no more reverse.

rFactor 1 works with reverse, Game Stock Car works with reverse, Grand Prix legends works with reverse, and Netkar will use reverse.
    Only rFactor 2 loses it after shifting past 1st gear.

Any body else had this?

2. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Yes I have the same problem, I deleted the plr file and that fixed it... intil I shut down my PC and restarted RF2. I get around it by mapping an extra button I have to neutral. Then for any reason if you need reverse, just press the N button and you will be able to shift to R. Just remember that if you shift to any gear ^up... you will have to hit N button again to shift to R. Pain in the ass, but I have been able to do it rather quick after a lot of practice.
    Edit: I take it you are using a sequential shifter... as I only have this problem when using mine, My H shifters work fine.

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If you are using paddles you can pull them both for neutral then grab reverse from there. Handy when you spin in top.

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Thank you for both answers.

Hope this gets fixed at some point,,, twas a pain in the behind (would that be the reverse side?) until I figured out that it must be rF2 and not my wheel.

I will set a button for reverse, I sure didn't know you could pull both paddles for neutral. Maybe that will get me to where I can go on down to reverse, if not, there is the "button" trick.

... oh, so its the problem with downshifting to neutral, If you can't pull up neutral, its a little hard to get reverse....

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

That makes no sense what ever inside my little pea-brain. Not denying the statement , just the fact itself.

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

for sequential shifting, leave neutral axis [EMPTY]

7. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Does not matter empty or mapped, I still have the same issue.

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

There are some options to play with in the controller.ini file.

Gear Select Button Hold="1" // Enable this option if using a gear select device that holds down a joystick button while in a gear and releases all buttons in neutral (such as the Act-Labs USB Shifter)

Alternate Neutral Activation="1" // whether to select neutral if shift up & shift down are pressed simultaneously

Stop Sequential if Neutral Configured="1" // whether configuring neutral prevents sequential shifts into neutral from 1=1st, 2=reverse, 3=both, or 0=neither

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Reported anyway as it is something we obviously altered with an update. Just want to make sure the devs are OK with that.

10. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

This is the current default (and hasn't changed for several months, if ever), because a lot of sequentially-shifted racecars do this to prevent accidentally selecting neutral.

I suspect this is the cause of the complaint, but what's confusing me is the statement that it only starts happening if you go up to 2nd. It *should* happen as soon as you go into 1st. The only thing I can think of is that 1st is selected but not fully engaged for some reason (perhaps you weren't moving?).

Anyway, it would be nice if many more of these options were available in the UI, and we've considered adding a page of random options, but thus far have not done so.