[request] Monster trucks!

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Fraser74, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

I know this is a racing sim .... But .... How good would monster trucks be with the tyre deformation.
    (Subtle hint to mod teams)

What do you guys think?

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I have tested tire deformations for large truck tires, there was some graphical issues but overall I think it could work well. One thing about monster trucks is that it should be possible to drive/crush over wreckages and cars, in rF2 it usually generates a lot issues as far as I have tested.

But nothing, nothing would beat old school monster trucking:

[​IMG]

I am not much into modern day monster trucks...

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

Massive +1. Late 80's up to say, mid 90's when all the trucks were homegrown, unique, and sometimes bizarre. I'm sure RF2 has everything needed as a base for the technical implementations (can you stack 20 leaf springs on each corner? :p ).

Even in the early 90's the trucks were jumping 10-15 cars in cases so you have more flight/weight/landing dynamics to deal with as much as cars deforming,

If I knew the first thing about 3D modelling i'd be doing this as we speak :D

4. Johannes Rojola

I've actually made monster truck for rF2 as a testbed, driving works fine but trying to go over cars and crush them just doesn't work at all. Also, we cannot have 4-wheel steering and solid axle in front.

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

Even some of the early 4 wheel steer trucks were somewhat of a bodge, where the driver had a switch on the door with a hydraulic bar to push the rear wheels to turn left or right, which was entirely independent from the front wheel steering.

Anyway, if you were going to try, you could always do more simple versions first, with just front wheel steering, etc - and if/when RF2 implements options for solid axle etc add them later?

Any trucks particularly in mind?

6. Johannes Rojola

Not any real ones, the one I made was '72 Chevy Van with monster tires.

7. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

Just thought, do the cars float through the air like they did in RF1? Didn't really like the rally mods from RF1 because of the excessive air time ha.

8. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Yes! rFactor2 has low gravity simulation!

9. Fraser74

Fraser74 Registered

Does that mean we can't have proper gravity simulation?