Reply here if you want a linux dedicated server for rf2

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by PorscheMR6, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Please , Linux Server. It's easy for many to build up a spare PC but not so easy to get a legit windows Install for it. Linux is fast efficient and free

2. hoover

hoover Registered

Me too, it would simplify setting up a dedicated server so much more...

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yes please! I have a nice cheap (and powerful) leased Linux server sitting on a 100/100 pipe that's crying out to be abused as a game server. Adding a legal Windows licence to the machine isn't cost effective unless I started taking money from my league which is something I'd like to avoid.

4. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

still no answer to this?

5. hoover

hoover Registered

I think it's a good sign and I hope if there weren't any plans to bring the server to Linux, this question would have been answered long ago... albeit negatively, politely telling us to go away ;)

Again, I have no "inside" knowledge on any plans for a Linux version, that's why I'm still whining here on the public forums ;)

All the best, Uwe

6. Spadge

Spadge Registered

My guess is that it isn't a priority, and it isn't something that's been entirely ruled out yet.

I bet ISI would be more than happy to do it IF they could see any benefit to doing it and had sufficient assurance that it wouldn't cause any harm to the security built into the game or the company's IP AND it wasn't too hard/expensive to do.

Also, one would hope they employed their devs for their windows coding skills.

7. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

how's ignoring someone polite?
    especially when dealing with costumers?

8. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Now here is some benefit: more money in the pockets of ISI´s customers. My small simracing community had to get a new dedicated server and I managed to convince my fellow members about the Linux option, not least because it is 10€ less in monthly license fees for Windows "Server". Now I know the exchange rate is not 1:1 for the US dollar, but for the sake of this argument it will be. We are about ten members who share the costs for the server, with some visitors and regular guests. So that´s 1$/month per member saved. And coincidentally that´s what the online service of rFactor2 will cost (12$/y), if I remember correctly, for those who did not get the life time license.

And to be honest, having had to deal with both, Windows Server 2008 and Linux, I have never regretted the decision to go with Linux. For one, I know that system way better than Windows. Especially when it comes to the actual purpose of a server, as in "to serve" (!) or providing services as opposed to requiring human service, is when you notice the difference.

Well, there is one regret, which seems to be true only for simracing. There are no native ports of the server programs for linux. Look at the First Person Shooter community, you will almost always find a native linux version of the dedicated server, plus some nifty interface to manage it remotely and not something that calls itself server, but requires a graphical window, which makes it a pain to set it up as service on a headless machine. A GUI on a server in my opinion just increases the overhead by a significant margin, because one must install or have a window manager.
    BTW, kudos ISI for:
    It is a huge step in the right direction. Thanks for that.

Now, I have managed to get the rFactor (1) dedicated server running with the help of WINE but I failed just this last weekend with rF2´s DS, again. I am thinking about becoming a maintainer of rF2 on winehq, but I don´t know if that would be wise, since I am only interested in the server part not getting the actual client running. And testing the latter would make that task way more complex.
    So far the only option on Linux is to setup a virtual machine, which introduces a huge amount of overhead, especially the 2 GB of RAM, I reserved for it, are lost to all other applications not running inside the VM. And no, memory ballooning doesn´t work. Also now I have what I never wanted, another Windows host cry baby.
    But maybe WINE is an option for the ISI developers, more precisely linking against Winelib, maybe have a look into 4.2. Legal issues first and Wine License. I am not a lawyer but from my understanding the GNU LGPL allows you to use, change and link to the Winelib, provided you redistribute or make available the (changed) source code. But you are not obligated to open source any of your own code, which I believe ISI wouldn´t want. Anyway, if I am not telling you old news here, I would like you to have look and I believe it should make things easier for porting to Linux.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Kind regards,
    Marcus

9. hoover

hoover Registered

I managed to get rf2 dedi to run with full UI on wine a while ago... I cannot find the thread where I posted the details, but it should be somewhere around here...

Cheers, Uwe

10. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Yes please. We'd run a bunch of servers if it was linux based. Not interested with Windows.

11. vittorio

vittorio Registered

+1

I use windows only for occasional gaming, workstation and server are linux only here and i would like to have a rfactor2 server for my urban simracingfriends later sometime. Windows is not an option.

12. krulkrul

krulkrul Registered

13. joeandjoe

joeandjoe Registered

+1

definitely linux, setting up would be easier,
    i have linux box which runs on cheap hardware, and was build for server services

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  14. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

Still no answer from Isi...

15. celkaris

celkaris Registered

unfortunately i can't keep it running long enough without random crashes, got two crashes in last 24 hours, although we could ran full 60mins practice sessions without trouble.

I also definitely vote for an official headless linux native client :)

[re-implementing our custom dedicated server would probably take quite some time, not speaking of missing features when compared to official server]

16. madleecher

madleecher Registered

AW: Reply here if you want a linux dedicated server for rf2

Yes .. Dedicated rf2 Server for Linux

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

17. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

18. kevinho

kevinho Registered

19. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

+1

I'm fully dedicated to Linux. Would be so much easier to rent a proper dedicated server. It holds me back from looking at any solutions or set one up myself. Eventually I think more people will host it on Linux than Windows.

20. yap

yap Registered

Debian user here! would be amazing a dedicated server for Linux.