Remove the drops of rain falling from the sky, while leaving the rain on the windshield

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Feb 7, 2018.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello.

@Christopher Elliott

Is it possible to remove the drops of rain falling from the sky, while leaving the rain on the windshield ?

2 reasons to my request :

- In real life, we see very rarely drops of rain fall, and very hard when WE are stopped (I have experienced for 45 minutes today :
    The rain is extremely thin and extremely transparent, contrary to RF2.

- Raindrops falling from the sky take a significant amount of GPU resources, but that's not the real reason why I want to remove it.

Know that I want to keep the raindrops and their animation on the windshield!

(if it is possible to remove the drops on the AI, which are completely useless and lose performance stupidly, I also want .....)

Thank you!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This may sound odd, but if you remove the raindrops from the sky...even if that is possible, then you remove them from replays, screenshots, tv cameras. League broadcasts would suffer, if it just appeared grey but the windshields were soaked. You are correct however, rain in it's current form IS very resource demanding.

3. Louis

Louis Registered

I just did quick laps on rain at Sao Paulo, testing stuff using rain drops at medium in open wheels. But there is an option rain drops=off (i didnt test if really turn off all rain or just on windshield
    In replays, rooster trails and track are good to me (high road reflection or enviroment reflection make it looks like a mirror) but, my god, what was that when seeing by camera track? Is horrible. Look like that Matrix screen but and instead green characters falling, white thick stripes. Is uglier than ever

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Louis and they (Christopher, I think) stated in the rain effects build thread that they would look at solutions to that, or were already.

@dadaboomda You might need to be more clear on which raindrops you're talking about. From the cockpit I find only very heavy rain is visible at all, and maybe that's not so bad, while light rain is nearly impossible to spot. I'm still hoping for official helmet visor raindrop support so open wheelers can tell when it's starting to rain. As for trackside, well, see above.

I do have to agree though, with the fact that generally raindrops aren't very visible. Sure, when there's sunlight around you can see them, but often when it's raining you're in shade, and you can't. The main thing you get is 'haze' (no doubt horribly improper use of the word) making everything look a bit greyer with distance.

d0nd33 and Louis like this.
  5. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I am an offline player, so no problem !

6. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

is totaly incoherent the amount of water drops falling from the sky, (Niagara falls), and the amount of drops over the windshield.

im with you, i prefer to see only the windshield animation and not that thing falling.

dadaboomda and Louis like this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

I would not like to have a race, raining, with an openwheeler, without drops.
    I only play online, and we always configure our servers limitting the amount of rain, and the result is ok, for us.