Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well if you run a server with HistorX2.0 LINKED TO 5 tracks.. and another person runs a server with HistorX2.0 LINKED TO the same 5 tracks. Should ONE of those tracks be a different revision with a bush added. The whole thing requires a different mod file instead of just kicking you out when you eventually get to the different track.

So that means JUST LIKE BEFORE you and the person trying to connect to your server need the same Car and Track files.. OK, that is fine.

BUT.. Now since you have to list all the tracks you want to use you have to make a mod containing all of them essentially locking the server to anyone who doesn't have ALL the tracks in ALL the correct versions to match YOUR server mod files.

So where is the benefit in all this?

So if a server hosts a mod linked with 20+ tracks and you only have 2 of them you now have to download 18 tracks in order to join that server. And each revision of that track has to match the servers so you better hope none of the tracks use an older version.

Please ISI tell me if this is correct or if you can still join if the server if it is hosting one of the 2 tracks you have currently..

2. rer8

rer8 Registered

In addition to the concerns that you have presented, I am concerned that minor changes made by ISI have voided all third party additions. I also see a time in the future that our hard drives will be clogged with hundreds of rfmod files. Oh my!

3. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

+1000000000000000 ^^

1 person likes this.
  4. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hello
    I do not understand why it is not easy to make a system of download which lack tracks or cars.
    This will be of the styleWe arrive on the server...
    it language track: Hop it downloads and installs the runway.
    The car missing? hop it downloads and installs the car.
    In the creation of the mod the car as the runway on an ID to each so it sufiit to read in the correct directory if this ID exists and is y it does not it downloads and installs.
    What's more simpleThis is what is done on MW2 and surely other.

5. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

+1
    The Problem are Online-Leagues or Big Events. So you have Custom Skins, modified Tracks and so on. By prepairing an event there is a lot of troubleshooting. With rF1 you only have to Sync a few files. Here you have to create new versions of the mod everytime. I have paintet a Nissan GT-R, but until now i have this car not ingame. With the old System you can create a veh-File and copy the files to the right place. rFactor is a open platform i think and therefore we need freedom.

6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Another suggestion
    It should be a system that detects what file is missing and the downloads and if the other file that it create the server mod After leaving this server destroy the file which has been create before:)

Not stockage on disk

7. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

I really think the Vmod system needs to be removed. It's so silly that I can't use any car with any mod.

8. ozspeedfreak

ozspeedfreak Registered

[QUOTE=Gjon Camaj;40183
    On a more serious note, I don’t want the average person to be using this system yet. I would like you and others here to continue to provide feedback and I and the team here will continue to refine it.

From an "average" person/user I wish I'd known this 8 months ago. Sure it was stated that it was a release primarily for modders but I don't recall anyone from ISI telling us this!!!!

9. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

Mod packaging with tracks it is allowed to run is a flawed system IMHO, I recall a interview on inside simracing that Gjon wanted to call rF2 rFactor wide open, this current mod system that locks you into only say 5 tracks with your favourite mod is ludicrous to say the least, and vefy far from being rfactor wide open :?

I run a sim racing site and I don't see how it is feasable to continually create updates to include new tracks so a mod can be run on new tracks as they come out for rF2, it not only wastes my time but also the racers that race online.

10. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

For all of you who are just complaining about the packaging system...do you even know what does it do? Do you even consider why it is like it is? And I have yet to see anyone offer a better solution that does what this system does (without loosing any of its features).

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Just separate tracks from cars and we will all be happy. Defining "Series" can be done an alternate way. Do not encourage joining cars and tracks and therefore CERTAIN VERSIONS of cars with only CERTAIN VERSIONS of tracks that if a track gets an update all the sudden all the **** is broken and now you need to make another mod file to accommodate those CERTAIN cars and CERTAIN tracks.. and then the mod gets an update and HOO HAA.. time to do it all over again.

Cars, Tracks.. separate.

12. v!rus

v!rus Registered

+1

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

+2

14. LowRider

LowRider Registered

sign

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

NO MISMATCHES

Smell the Roses

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People have got to seriously be warped they think things are going to change at this stage.

wake up ...smell the roses

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If I can't easily use whatever car on whatever track.. The key word here being EASILY. I will have to move my business over to a more accessible sim. There are a few in the works and GOD DAMNIT I would love rF2 to be my sim but a badly implemented idea is a badly implemented idea.

Vmod = Vehicle mod, Tmod = Track mod. Download both. Never have to rely on "All cars All tracks"

EDIT: I never get mismatches on rF1. I WILL get them on rF2 just in a harder to remedy form.

1 person likes this.
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I should hope by now that ISI have listened, not just in this thread but in all the others, wish list forum as well. Their silence on this matter maybe immensly annoying (to me at least!) so I can understand why people are still posting about the poor decision to link tracks & mods together.
    You'd think by now they'd want to shut us all up and at least tell us whats changing but no, we'll have to wait for a Build with the changes and then offer opinions...by then it might be too late...

19. MJP

MJP Registered

That sounds a bit far fetched, at least rF2 has a system to deal with mismatches, admittedly you (and a lot of others) aren't keen on it whereas rF1 has no such system*.

* disclaimer - I haven't driven rF1 for ages perhaps there's been some sort of update or something that's resolved mismatch problems that I'm unaware of.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

No it isn't anything technical. Don't join random servers. Race with friends in organized communities and everything you need will be provided and matching.