Remove rFmod Petition

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Wrinkly Man, Jan 22, 2012.

1. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Ok I see the point your trying to make but you've mist a vital element. You need to show now what he would see in the server list.

Server name, Mod, track just as as seen on a server list.

2. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

That was in the post where I explained this the first time around but for ease:

Server Name: URL Lotus Cup
    Mod: Lotus Elise & Exige v2.1
    Track: Essington

So very simply, go find the post in the league forum where the vMod is.

3. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Well i'm gussing eventually what will happen is ,when you submit any sort of ID you also supply a link directly to the download ,so when the game displays what you need for the server the link to the download is embedded in that info.You could have a seperate 'visit website' link included

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Haha... yeah I noticed that after I posted.

The server name gives no indication of the who owns the server.

Though you've done this to make it hard or impossible on purpose the reality is most (Not all) servers are named with website addresses. If you want to do this at least be fair about it.

5. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

his original post said google the mod name..;)

6. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Refer to my post HERE for your answer.

7. Jonathan Stewart

Jonathan Stewart Registered

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

IMO it is wrong consideration. rF2 is intended to be modding platform. All components (cars, tracks) are under constant developement. It means, even during league season, tracks may be changed (upgraded for example). it is not situation that we have some complete content we are daily using. Things are changing under hands and we must work with it. Hard linking cars with tracks will not help, I'm sure.

Please try to imagine big portal (like ours, but I know there are bigger). 10 racing series around.
    There are two possible choices:
    1. whole portal uses single ModID
    2. each racing serie has own ModID

Please note, I know that there are virtual components etc.

Let's check out option one:
    From time to time some tracks are released. When Spa is released, F1 admins want to see how it is going, and want to organize some test event. But also Algarve is upgraded, so GT admins want to update our package, generating new ID etc.
    What is annoying is that any time some admin will update package, ALL drivers of the portal must download it, even if some is no involved in racing serie for which track has been updated.
    Situation may be worse if a group of drivers want to drive new track, but package cannot be updated because some official event will start in few hours. We don't want to change anything for such short time before scheduled events.

Now, option two:
    Update for some well known widely used track is released. Let's say Monza. A lot of racing series is connected to this track. That's why a lot of packages must be updated. So, single track will cause updating a lot of mods. A lot of people must download new packages, a lot of them must download more than one since they are competing in a few racing series.

We cannot forget about time which any involved person must sacrifice for that. Admins must repack mods with new ModID. Then upload onto web servers to provide for users. Users must download packages. So whole operation takes time (work time), and generates some delays.
    Just see - some new tracks has been released 2 days ago. But All Cars & tracks is still not updated. curious why? I'm not.

Again: if a new content will be released once a year, this idea would work. But due to constant updates, it will only makes our live harder. I think it would be enough to verify single components against server.

I hope, ISI will consider changing the approach.

But I also suppose that I'm missed something. So if you (Gjon) have idea how to manage described situation quickly without additional costs, I will be grateful.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

10. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

I didn't make that server name up, its a real server and URL are a real league. URL is the abbreviation for their name.
    So this is a proper real world example.

Mr. Painter is right in that quite a few leagues put their web addrees in the server name but I just looked through the rF1 server list and at best its still only about 50% of listed servers.

The point of course is that "just go to their site and download the vMod" is not "just" at all, its often a problem.

There's now some 13 pages of people trying to explain why they find the new system obstructive rather than constructive.
    I find it hard to believe Gjon & ISI don't understand our point after some 13 pages of this stuff.

How small leagues operate seems very different from the small handful of big leagues.
    How small modders operate is very different from the likes of Reiza studios who want to release "complete games" in effect.

The current setup is porbably fine for those large organisations but for the small players its a significant step back and I can only hope ISI are able to find a way to make the system flexible enough to accommodate us all.

11. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

Except that's not league running that particular server. F1Elites drivers are attending an event held by URL this week.
    So one has to find out who URL are. what their address is, join the forum, find the relevent thread, find the post with the vMod in it.

Anyway, the brighter people here have recognised my point and as I said above, if ISI think the current method is the best way to go then so be it. I'm hopeful they will adjust it to accommodate those of us that find it unworkable.

12. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

You can make this as easy or hard as you want. If you are actually implying that a few years from now the best anyone will come up with is what you just described, then I suppose I have nothing to add. Carry on.

13. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I'm actually on your side here if you hadn't already worked that out but what you need to consider is the fact that there are far more less bright people if you'd like then some here. Most wouldn't have bothered at all to even try. It's like anything, It's all easy when you know how! Not knowing how doesn't make a person stupid, Just less informed.

14. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

I'm not making it hard, this is the reality of what ISI have implemented with the current form of the community.
    I didn't realise you weren't planning to release it until "a few years from now". That's makes much more sense.

[My apologies Mr Painter, you are correct and I really do appreciate the support]

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Actually that one isnt that difficult...alot of leagues you have to wait for account activation which will add to the wait to get online

16. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

That's right and something that I had considered right from the first post of this page. Just not thought to include on any posts.

My bad..

17. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Its released now and we'll release again many times in the years to come. The new system is the foundation for this. I understand you want to protect what you have now, but what I really need now are some people that come work towards something different.

18. IT-Trader

IT-Trader Registered

I did, and when issues were raised that we as admins and modders saw as troublesome, I feel we were effectively told to lump it.
    I was hoping for constructive dialogue to talk about how we work and more importantly WHY we work the way we do and then look to find solutions to move forwards in a manner that preserves the things that makes rFactor as whole so good.
    I'm still willing to do that but ISI have to come to that party too.

19. shum94

shum94 Registered

I like this game, find this random number.

20. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

The only issue i see is that all these rfcmp's or rfmods need to be accessed as individual downloads to make this effective.

I know ISI will use these ID's to identify what you need to join a server,

And i assume this information will be displayed to you when you click a server to indicate what you have or not.

So you would have a list of what you have or do not.

The items in this information have an embedded link to take them directly to the download,supplied when you submit your mod or comp.

The concept is simple but like i said these file need to be broken down a bit to allow only needed content