Reminder: Windows XP support no longer available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm not sure why. XP was released in 2001. This was a time when a game (GP3 2000 Addon, to be specific) required Pentium II 266MHz, to give some context. They (Microsoft) only just stopped supporting it. I don't see Windows 7 being dropped soon, considering it's their next best OS. It might actually be the best time with W9 coming along, it'll probably be a bit cheaper to buy W7.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I've read about them ending support on certain versions of it in a couple of years, it'd suck for the guy to buy it just now and get one of those. I think most should go through 2018, four years isn't too bad of official MS support (and perhaps longer for games) though.

3. Carlo

Carlo Registered

"Mainstream" support for Win 7 ends in Jan 2015. This means that no new features will be added (like they've added a lot of features to 7 anyway). Also support for consumers ends. Unless MS changes its' mind, after this month, consumer-based machines with Win 7 pre-installed cannot be sold. Retail, boxed versions of Windows 7 are becoming scarce and expensive.

All versions of Windows 7 are supported until 2020 (patches, security, etc). No end date for sales of business machines with Win 7 Pro and Ultimate pre-installed has been set by MS though it's likely the date will be summer 2015. OEM versions of Windows 7 are still available (Pro, Ultimate). OEM versions can be used by system builders like yourself.

Personally, I'm going to purchase an OEM copy of Win 7 Ultimate this month even though I have no intention of building a new Windows machine until next year. I have little hope that Windows 9 will be as good as Win 7 (GUI). There are rumors that Win 9 will be a free upgrade for Win 7 and 8.