Reminder: Windows XP support no longer available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Aug 26, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

A reminder: Windows XP is no longer supported (either by us, or by Microsoft). The next build of rFactor 2 will not support it.

For your security, system stability, software sophistication and sanity, please upgrade. Windows 7 is lovely. :)

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Maybe a totally stupid question but here goes.

My dedi server box runs on windows server 2008 R2. Will this be an issue?

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Server 2008 is based on Vista. Server 2008 R2 is based on Windows 7. No Problem.

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Ah good, thanks for the clarification. I had a "oh crap" moment lol

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Just out of curiosity (since I'm already at Win7), does this mean that there will no longer be 32-bit .exe's---or just that there should be no expectation that things will work 100% properly when using XP?

6. 88mphTim

XP can't run the EXEs at all, regardless of being 32 or 64bit.

7. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

My league has a Windows Server 2003 server, will it run the dedicated server? (I guess no, but just to be sure, we are still in rF1 but considering seriously to move to rF2 in 2015).

8. 88mphTim

No. MS drops 2003 support as well in 2015. Hope you're able to work something out by then.

9. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

So...How long has server 2003 have till it will no longer host or be able to launch rF2...next build?

Dave

NRT

10. 88mphTim

Yes, apparently so. Some fundamental changes.

11. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

OK..thanks

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

13. RayL12

RayL12 Registered

Forgive my noobishness; can I assume that my latest build of 798 will allow me to join online events which use future builds? After all, it is only a case of data swapping, I'm guessing? A third of the world's PC users still run XP so, I guess a third of rF2 users are too?

Else, do Linux OS's run the sim? The last thing I want to do is stop using my XP64, for me there is no such MS product that I would call an upgrade from this, it runs hassle free. (Since it's er, ectomys).

Once again, my lack of understanding what upgrades to the sim could possibly effect my machine; I can only imagine graphical? Then again, this is coming from someone who's understanding of interfacing and programming drivers stopped with the BBC Master.

Oh, and thankness that Rich's server isn't effected. Bookmarked; he is one of a few that I like to watch while sat with a pint of coffee and two kit-kat bars after a days work.(Though, I wish he wouldn't hide the drivers list) I wouldn't tell him that though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  14. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

that's me stuck on 798 then! I certainly can't afford to upgrade op system and buy an HD to transfer stuff to

15. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

The only servers you'll be able to join are the servers running the same build you have. So if you stay on 798, you'll only be able to join servers that are using build 798.

I just looked up windows 7 home premium 64 bit in Canada and I can purchase it here for 100 cdn dollars. It's not an expensive upgrade.

16. RayL12

RayL12 Registered

Upgrades: Hmmm, I see? Cheers for that, Jamie.

Money is not the problem. Windows since XP are my problem. Hopefully, someone will say Linux will run rF2 just fine.

ISI may want to make progress and to that I salute but, to give exclude a third of it's user base?

17. Armando

Armando Registered

No, Tim has said that the rFactor2 client will probably always be windows-only.
    I think your estimation about XP user base is a bit high. I guess most of that PCs are used by enterprises (ATMs for example).
    Current Windows XP usage in Steam is around 5%. (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/)

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I wonder how many server boxes are still on xp content, ours is and its questionable if we can move forward with it.
    The diminish in active drivers (ie donations) in rf2 also makes it highly unlikely we will be able to move to another provider.

I just wish that at least this build-change would have come around December, that's usually renewal time for most?

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It certainly would be a pain for some people to have to buy 7 when 9 is just around the corner. Perhaps stick around with 798 until W9 is out and jump ships then?

20. 88mphTim

We have similar info.