Released Released | SC2018x Stock Car

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

It's a little more than loosely based. I was one of the contributors to the 2018 and 2018X mods. I have quite a bit of experience in NASCAR working as an engineer for almost 20 years in almost every division. I also own and drive a NASCAR Late Model and have driven ARCA, K&N, and Modified race cars. I've worked with manufacturer engineers in the past and still have a valid NASCAR license with access to the rules and specs for all divisions.

2. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

That's plenty knowledge thanks for your time and input Joel not easy giving up your time these days so muchly appreciated.

3. machine

machine Registered

What do you mean by aero needs fixing?

The Oval Track Pack is for the old stockcars (2015)
    Use this collection: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819086842

pkelly likes this.
  4. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

+1, I want to paint some cars to make my own pseudo "Trans-Am" series :)

5. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Region support should be there. What issues are you all having?

6. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

some have mentioned the tire sounds. they are actually real sounds recorded from a NASCAR car.
    I am thinking of toning down the scrub sound so you can tell a difference in scrub to actual skid.
    What I suggest is just turn the tire sounds down until happy. The key to driving on the edge though is to listen to the tires.
    If you slid too much you are just heating them up and wearing them out quicker.

Manfredk2 and Taris Henrique like this.
  7. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

When you go to edit in the showroom the region edit is not showing to edit each layer. Message " editing livery not supported for this car", You can make a region file but you cannot edit it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  8. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

I will look in to it. I normally edit mine in Dev mode and not the car editor.

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

The stockcar suspension physics is f.u. : You increase the setup rideheight for the fronts, you resulting rideheight in the oval like brookdale gets LOWER. Thats why the default setup probably goes as low as possible.
    Same for protos like lmp2 and other btw., higher setup rideheight, less rideheight in compression lol.
    For the rear it seems ok in this mod, higher setup rideheight, higher riding rideheight.
    Whoever is doing that physics or suspension modelling seriously needs some training...

10. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

What are you talking about? If we look at the telemetry ride heights do operate properly. Not sure what you are looking at there sir? Maybe some more in depth information? If we raise the front we get a lot more travels as expected the splitter hits at around 1.9 inches as the splitter is below the ride height. I do not mind discussing but need better information as to what you are looking at here please.

11. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Front ride heights are a combination of ride height, bump stop/packers, and spring rate. What exactly are you adjusting that doesn't seem to be working ? For example, you can raise the ride heights but if the bump stop/packers and spring rate are too low it will hit the ground. Ride height is done in combination to adjust how hard and quickly the car hits the bump stops based on spring rate and shocks.

12. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

How shall you increase in reality ride height and end with lower height driving? This is unpossible.
    Im reality for most cars you would turn the suspension arm up. The point where packer and bumpstop work remain the same relative to ride height.
    Or you move the whole suspension up, as in rf2 telemetry the suspension pos does not change (which is for most cars simply wrong ). Then bumpstop would work at even higher ride heights.
    In no way you can end up with a lower height during compression just by selecting a higher static ride height. But in rf2 you do for some cars.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I know nothing about these cars. Just putting that out there first. This is also my first time running them, and I've done 2 test runs only. 1 lap each. Small sample size here.

Brookdale configuration, running at Eagle Speedway (? standard content).

Increasing default setup front ride height from 3.0 to 3.5in (~12mm change) led to a ~5-6mm reduction in reported front ride heights, and front wing height in telemetry, at 262kph (flat out in 3rd gear).

And this is where I remember I've been told on several occasions by more knowledgeable people how things are positioned and reported on, and how they change when you adjust the ride height (only), but I can't remember the specifics. I've seen similar reported in another mod though, and I'm sure it makes sense in some way. Just not sure what. Maybe this will be an opportunity to learn.. again...

14. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Oh yeah it makes sense to get lower by setting your car higher...LOL
    Tell a real life team to avoid hitting ground you should settle your car lower lol

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is what's happening, and there is how it's reported. Those are different things.

But I'm sure this car is just breaking the physics, because that's probably more likely.

16. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

Stefan, we will look into this. However you don't need to engage us in such a disrespectful manner to get our attention.

McKiernan, MarcoSaupe, RoWo and 4 others like this.
  17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

There seem to be more mismatches: I set ride height for rear both to 13cm and stiff springs (using metric in upgrades), the resulting ride height rear is 90mm static in box.
    Also you hit ground with rideheight front at 50mm and rear 45mm allready. I dont know whether a different reference point for collission detection is used than for rideheight calc but that difference is really big. I would expect to hit ground at ride heights around 0 as by definition.
    The soft default setup is probably sitting allready in the box in the bumpstop somehow.

18. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

The reference point at the front is the splitter which should make contact with the ground at 1.9 inches of ride height. Off the top of my head I forget the reference point at the rear. I think it's the bottom of the quarter panel but I'll have to check. As in a real stock car, the ride heights are not 0 when contact to the ground occurs. Other hard parts, such as the splitter, truck arms, exhaust pipes, etc. will contact first.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This may be a language issue as much as physics. The American stockcar has undergone a change from a high riding hobbyhorse to a very low-riding vehicle. The language particular to rF2 is ride ht is usually assigned to equal the floor of a vehicle. If parts of the car body, i.e. the front splitter extend BELOW the floor, then simply measuring ride ht via motec might not be correct as the floor may be fully suspended XX amount of mm above the ground, but extending pieces, such as the body, drive train, fenders may make contact BEFORE motec reports 0mm ride ht.(ready to jump out of this because I've already gone past any real knowledge)

Bill Worrel likes this.
  20. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Thx 4 explanation.
    But you loose allready 40mm compared to setup on the road, standing. As I said, setup 13cm rear results in 9cm on the road, standing still. Is it possible that the ride height offset to contact gets allready substracted once? I mean 13cm Setup results in 9 - 4.5 = 4.5cm usable ride height only. Is this intention?
    If i set 11cm front in setup telemetry say ~11cm on the road standing. Usable rideheight is 11-5 = 6cm
    So rear and front behave different