Released Released New Material Editor! (Car Paints)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MBS

MBS Registered

I'm Loving it. stunning paint looks !! [​IMG]
    That said, its not really easier than it was ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. MBS

MBS Registered

not sure if its bug but stroke around lines/logos disappears when over chrome ?

[​IMG]

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Move that Heusinkveld logo layer right to the top? That’s the only thing I can think of

4. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

It may be because when you CTRL-click a layer in Photoshop, it does not select the stroke or any other effect. You have to rasterize the text with its stroke to be able to select all.

Ernie likes this.
  5. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

6. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

No. It's a option. Skins will work as Car Paint if you don't add the regions map to your skins. You don't "have" to use the map.

A note to those making the Tutorial; We don't all use Photoshop. It's a very expensive program to buy/lease so you need to stop assuming we're all rich another to own a program like that just for a hobby like painting liveries.

Alex72, AMillward and Easton like this.
  7. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

upload_2019-2-3_16-27-6.png
    upload_2019-2-3_16-23-50.png upload_2019-2-3_16-24-24.png upload_2019-2-3_16-24-48.png upload_2019-2-3_16-25-14.png

8. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

Thanks D.Painter for the answer. cheers

9. MBS

MBS Registered

fixed it, the stripes were black in photoshop, then of course you dont see the black stroke :eek:)
    when you make it then chrome , you dont realize it was black in first place

10. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

If you press CREATE DIR + reload, then yes every time you reload that skin from then on it will auto-generate a mas file, it will then add any new files related to that skin to that mas file...and it's for good reason. We want to avoid people forgetting important files as the new system relies on extra files :)
    Another upside to a mas file, even for older skins, sharing a mas file (vs a loose .dds) on a server will speed up the transfer time considerably. Your server admin will thank you! ;)
    It should not affect anything having a mas file in the folder, so just carry on as always.

11. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

How can you get more out of something without more complexity?

The new material system is not more complex for its own sake, but to achieve better results.

And because it has built-in materials, the look of all cars can be improved in the future at once, without reskinning all of them.
    I think It's the only solution for improving graphics without constantly redoing old stuff.

It was my long time dream. To have a system like this for tracks and cars. So you can't have tracks with i.e. lame grass and tracks with great grass or cars with bad glass material or a good one. If grass material improved, every track has it instantly.

lagg likes this.
  12. filippu

filippu Registered

That's a good story. A very good one indeed. There are two problems you're overlooking.

First, for this to be a good idea, the dev team has to be very good, do such a good job that even modders can't surpass them. Except it's not the case. Far from it. You took the example of grass, the latest track Sebring is awful, no variation, no effort, it's not even resembling the actual grass. And you want that crap on all tracks ?
    Second, one fits all doesn't work. What happens when you want to do something that hasn't been hardcoded by the devs ?

As S397 is reducing each time the possibility to edit things, ultimately, you might get your wish of a non moddable game.

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

14. Ned52

Ned52 Registered

There is no free copy of Adobe Photoshop it's all crack and you need to buy a license to use all versions .The new system to paint the cars is fantastic but too much complicated for amateur painters and you need to be graduate in informatics to do anything.Old amateur painters will fade away gently.You can't skin ACC and now rFactor2 so we'll play the games on PS4 it's cheaper and you've got it on TV.

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You are talking complete nonesense. In fact S397 added another layer of freedom for people to create their own skins while still making it possible to use the old way of painting cars. If that is a limitation, you should first of all read the instructions before making such statements. Next to the fact that you missed the point mentioned by Malasz wich has nothing to do with texture variations but how different materials are rendered in the engine. PBR is a nice way of adding a standard, same as it was a good move to disable the HDR profiles.

@Ned52 I think you can get PS CS2 for free if I am not completely wrong. Next to the fact that you can aquire student lisences for different products, GIMP is your way if everything else fails. And you can still paint cars as you did before, so stop claiming that it isn't possible to create skins in rF2 and you clearly don't need a graduate in informatics. Maybe a video tutorial would help to visualize the process a bit more. Anyway, people need to see that this is a big chance to enahnce the artistic freedom and not an obstacle.

16. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

i had no particular difficulty in creating skins following the guide, and i had never done it before. only i struggle a bit to understand where are placed certain details of the car on the template. maybe there is a map somewhere?
    i would also like to know if on the windows templates i can work as on those of cars. for example, how can you change the text on the windshield of the Aston or Porsche?

17. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Looks like it. So the car has a hole underneath it for the refection to come through.

What we need to understand is for this new painting system to work well the model needs to have a higher tri (poly) count. If it didn't you would see the model frame work through the paint, by the light moving over it. So to keep the models total count down to a workable level on your PC some things have to be admitted from it. Things that you wouldn't normally see. It's only because the chrome reflection is picking up on it that you've even noticed it at all.

I know there's a lot off models that have holes (Missing parts) all through out the cars. It's the best way to maximizes the visual off what you see and keep the PC performance. We are now using 4K textures, texture are a big performance drain on a PC this is why I don't understand the way some of the ISI cars are using up to 6 textures "Per" rim," just" rim, not including the tyre walls or tread just to get the rim blur. It is a ridiculous waist off PC power (performance) for such a small result. The S397 method that we could access the textures where slightly better, only slightly I might add so even the latest cars are more than likely wasting possible performance for little result.

I agree with what Filippu said! The cars and tracks Dev could learn a lot from "Free" modders about checking their work for better quality control.

mr.Sw1tchblade and TheGame316 like this.
  18. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You are definitely wrong. Adobe published the CS2 without server checkup because they ended the service but wanted to have legit users still able to use the software. Still you need to have a valid license to use the software. Of course you can download and use the software without a license but this is a copyright or license infringement and illegal!
    My best suggestion and also wish is: Don't use PS and use GIMP instead. It's fully legal, you don't have to take care of any such issues and it's also available for all platforms, easy to use (if you take some time to make yourself comfortable with it) and also very much configurable (you can even make it mimic and look like PS). Also because it's open source you can go ahead and fix things yourself or help the developers to do so for you. What's also great is that the development is in great swing currently, and you really have a great chance that your feature wishes are considered.
    I would really wish that more free software (of course even better if that's open source software) is supported by developers. Would be awesome if all would follow the SCS team as a great sample.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try this page from Adobe, it's the CS2 for Free and they give you the Serial Number:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative...loads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK#download-products

20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Read again what I wrote and please read again what Adobe writes directly on that page you have linked. It clearly says it is only legal to use that software if you bought it. You can download everything from the web but that does not necessarily mean you are allowed to use that. It's the same with logos, brand names and even ideas. Please stop supporting and promoting the illegal use of software!

neuer31 likes this.