[REL] Released | BMW M4 Class 1 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 24, 2021.

1. pety100

pety100 Registered

This vehicle is very hard to drive without any assist, its not for beginners thats for sure. Driving on the limit looks like you rasp the steering wheel all the time, mainly on the accelerations but it's quite easy to catch the car if the rear steps out but it costs a lot of time. This car should be driven in an another way than all the other cars in this game, and I like that, finally something new.

I should mention the understeered behavior in the slower corners where the mechanical grip counts more. I tested the car mainly in Paul Richard and in the last corner the car barely wants to turn even at a cornering speed of 50 km/h. I think there should be a bit more mechanical grip of this car, but it's okay.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I wonder how many cars could take last Paul Ricard turn faster than 50km/h. Maybe a lot, I don't know. Every few extra km/h there would probably require significant differences in tire mechanical grip, chassis roll resistance and low inertia.

Just out of interest I'll look at some onboards, cause it is interesting.

Lewis Hamilton in qualification, min speed: 82 km/h (p.s. exciting wobble, correcting over correction just before)

Martin Konrad GT3, min speed 68 km/h

So indeed quite a few cars should probably do it over 50km/h.

I think it is interestign to compare slowest Hockenheim turn.

DTM Audi, min speed 55km/h

GT3, min speed 50km/h, so I guess it means that DTM should take last turn of Paul Ricard faster than GT3 too.

F1, min speed 59km/h

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Must come back to this, since I am such a big poster these days, and I have stuff to say.

First of all, are you sure you were doing only 50km/h in Paul Ricards last turn ? Because I found myself doing minimum 70-71km/h. And I think I could rise this minimum higher by having more rubbered track, and actually focusing on the turn rather than a speedometer. It is one of most difficult turns to go fast IMO, it is always so difficult to enter correctly.

The same is that slow hairpin thing of Hockenheim. It is just very hard to master these turns, and lookign at speedometer just spoils the focus, it would be better to check in telemetry. Yet I found myself doing this turn at minimum 53-54km/h, that was on fully rubbered setting.

This and the feeling of the car and its tires got me thinking, that no way it has lack of mechanical grip. It just has rather slim windows at which it starts developing "too much" sliding, and if you'll be able to drive it in those narrow windows at which you avoid sliding, and stay at actual optimum window of this tires, you get plenty of mechanical grip. I understand people are gettign confused by rather severe sliding, but it is not that severe, I keep on recovering tons of slides again and again and again and have lots of confidence with the car. Not with my tire saving skills though - a skill to learn ! I think mechanical grip and less wear can come for all of us if we just learn how to operate the tires at these narrow windows, and just don't let them into slides too often and for too much. These skills may not be too hard to achieve, just few wires to replace in your brain and thats it lol Ok, one may not become Alien like Kevin, who apparently drove this car in its presentation even with apparently little sliding and won the race.

This car just makes me to love modern racecars in simracign and eventually givign them looks IRL, which I absolutely didn't for a long time. I also begine to like how S397 makes it. But I am just one of many simracers, others may want more easy sliding and less twitching, which is realistic, but challenging.

Also Paul Ricard and Hockenheim are very fun with this car.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  4. pety100

pety100 Registered

Maybe you are right, the track was not too rubbered, maybe thats why the understeer. + I lowered the rear ARB (detached + 1 click) to find some grip on the exits, maxbe thats why the vehicle don't want to turn in slow corners. :)

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I always use rather soft rear ARBS too. And also springs. And in Paul Ricard I did 5 laps with 10 AI with 4x real road setting, it looked like the track does not have high rubber preset, so I went with natural progression.

There is one thing which I never use with this BMW. I never use its default steering lock. I always go one click lower, to have little more steering motion. This way it is a bit easier to avoid understeer.

I hope that helps, to get faster in mechanical grip turns.

Otherwise, I'd also check your perception. If you have a car that for most part you never get slower than 100km/h, and mostly never get slower than 140 km/h. You may very likely get perception of walking speed at speed like 70km/h. Thats just normal. I once drove 1950s race cars for few months, then I drove GT3 car and it felt like everything in game was accelerated 2x or 3x. It usually takes minutes to readjust.

6. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

what version you guys are using for the paul richard?
    I used this just to test that out:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=795363999
    i used my silverstone setup as base and did some minor changes to it.
    basically just longer gear ratio, and higher differential lock on power. minor camber adjustement. thats all.
    The setup is no means perfect for paul richard, but quick test with it i can get thru the last corner with min speed of 81kmh

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

@pety100 , @mantasisg
    Ok. Checking the video. i may have dropped to 80 km/h...
    Never the less, to say that the car has no mechanical grip is just wrong. I have said this earlier in this thread too.
    I mean only few km/h slower in that turn than F1 car, ain't bad (alltough Lewis made a mistake just before entry and it definitely cost him a lot of speed there). But still, the speed with the bimmer here proves there is no less mechanical grip than in other S397 cars.
    The line i drove was far from perfect, and certainly there is room for improvement (for this corner too), with finalized setup for the track. I will make one, when i have time.

Granted, the default setup is quite aero based, and even tough not bad at all, the suspension is set up to only high aero grip, and lacks mechanical grip as is.
    But there is mechanical grip to be found in the setup. It just needs some digging, as usual.

But anyways, here is the video of it.

The corner it self is, very "understeery" if you can call it that. My slip angle was quite extreme, but that was more to do with bad line, than anything else.
    I publish the finalized setup here, in this thread, when get it done. In the mean while, dig around the setup. The grip is there for sure.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    mantasisg and atomed like this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That looks like pure magic to me :D I could never dream to make this turn that fast and with understeer so smoothly. Big shout out to guys who find themselves going at barely 50km/h there, you have still lots to learn, good luck.

I would suppose that realistically this car/tire should have even bigger static friction/sliding friction ratio. But it is already quite challenging to slip. So perhaps it is good. There is tons of grip with it, the problem is that it is such a beast, it is super easy to make it slide, spin tires... I actually prefer new Tatuus, for me it is a lot more down to earth, also I think it has perhaps perfect tire or it might be just so because car is much different.

Yesterday I drove this BMW and Tatuus with their rain tires in wet at Algarve mod. It is super fun. I found BMW on wets and the Tatuus both to be awesome. Perhaps BMW was bit more skating around, but both was rather awesome, I think just as on dry on the wet too I would have expected BMW to have higher peak grip before it starts sliding, but it might be just that it is such a beast.

One unrelated note. Am I the only one who is always a lot slower than AI in the wet than I am in the dry ? That happens with most cars, I wonder if I am that slow in wet, or the devs just use some wrong estimations when adjusting AI for wet performance, as it otherwise requires quite a lot of additional testing.

9. atomed

atomed Registered

I´d say the AI´s natural traction control-like cyborg reflexes and robot like steering-pedal handling make them extremely good at wet surfaces. They´re almost unbeatable. I only could match them at Patras with the GT3s.

memoNo1 likes this.
  10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Yep..:D

11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Here is the setup for the Paul Richard:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NvyeREpfMAMlAQXAaPM59kKJlauNo4YD/view?usp=sharing
    Not perfect, didnt had that much time on my hands, but goes as base setup for tweaking it to suit your driving...?
    Video of 2 laps with the setup.

To make a race setup from this, i would raise rear 1 notch (both sides), and set brake bias 1 notch to rear, and add fuel obviously.
    It' is possible to add even more mechanical grip, but that needs more roll, and possibly delays throttle opening in most corners as a result. ymmv.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    juanchioooo, atomed and davehenrie like this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Hopefully that Richard guy will be satisfied with the setup. :p

Kelju_K likes this.
  13. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

I wanted to report few things regarding BMW M4 Class 1 >

1.This car has suspension (packing) related instability, which leads to game crashing or car bouncing excessively.
    You can achieve this by going higher up in packers (or might even work if you are lower ride height with softer springs but i only tested with high packing)

2.The car makes sounds as if it is constantly riding off-road surfaces while being completely stationary.

@Christopher Elliott @Paul Jeffrey
    Please do take a note of this.

14. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Could you possibly share a setup which makes this happen for you? To rule out bugging of your game install. If it is reproducable by others, im sure it gets more attention by the devs.

And please, just share the compete setup from your cloud drive, to save everybodys time.
    Thanks.

15. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

just max out rear packing and that should crash the game even on default setup.

Kelju_K likes this.
  16. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i will try that tomorrow, and report back.

Sim_Player likes this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    atomed and Kelju_K like this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

thank you very much for the setup

19. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey Administrator Staff Member

Thank you, we will look into this.

Sim_Player likes this.
  20. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

good evening, please I need a SETUP for the Atlanta Motorsport circuit, that tomorrow I have a race on the competition system, thanks