Release rF2 - answerable question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slow_duck, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah we won't do anything just because someone says they need us to. We have to do what's best for everyone (because although it might annoy people to realize this, what's best for everyone is actually linked to what's best for ISI, too).

Yes I probably need to make a point that there will not just be features, refinements but also content licensed and built well after the initial release. I think the last update to rF1 was in 2008 after an initial release in 2005? Let's see if rF2 can beat that... The thing is you can hopefully see where we are heading with the fact we have a forum. We'll also have our own wiki (open documentation) and hopefully we can bring the community greater knowledge and improve all of it by allowing sharing of GOOD info.

2. 88mphTim

In 1994 you can't say the cars they started the F1 season with were like the cars they ended them with (planks, hehe). If I were in a league I don't think I'd have an issue doing an event or two with rF1 and then switching. I'm not sure why league admins don't seem to realize this is possible... But as long as all your drivers buy rF2 what would be the problem there? You can adapt, you know. :) If there's no suitable mod for rF2 when your season starts, start it with rF1 then switch when you can. Nothing stopping that... rF1 isn't going to disappear.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh for sure there are multiple options to work with it but from a league pov (imo) there will be a fine line between catering for rf1 and jumping to rf2. if you stick with rf1 too much you risk members going somewhere else or simply losing interest and if you just start to focus on rf2 then its the other way arround.

Its the same with mods realy, we never believed in 'going for the latest release' and base our league racing on that. Going for the latest hype is just too messy for a league or at least potentialy, especially if there is a solid and dedicated member group.

Chances are it going to be a bit of both indeed for the first months, as ever it is the community itself which usualy dictates which way it will go and you simply can't predict stuff on forehand so its best to be flexible and go with the flow.

4. theother5

theother5 Registered

In my work life, we "roll" our software tools .... regularly.

Almost never do we do a hard roll [by that I mean, we switch off the old tool and just use the new tool].

There is always a transition period where both the new and old tools run in parallel [double effort for a very short time] before the old tools is switched off. This is to ensure continued service as the customers roll their clients.

Now I may not be a rF league admin, but if I were, I also would not plan on a hard roll in the case of rFactor2.

Denstjiro, you are spot on right ...... I'd plan to run both rF1 and rF2 in parallel on the server and thereby 'bridge' the gap for my players ..... they will pretty quickly tell me which version is leading the way.

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I'm an rFactor admin and once rF2 comes out, we will continue to run rF. There will be the need to test and assess rF2, iron out any anomalies, wait for people to purchase the game and any PC upgrades etc.

Thus we'll be running both rF and rF2 in unison for an extended period of time, probably for most if not all of 2012.

6. Tripp

Tripp Registered

I have 1 question is rf1 and rf2 share same lobby ?

7. 88mphTim

No.

8. Tripp

Tripp Registered