[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Maybe the god of the Nord's has taken pity on us :cool:

2. Thor

Thor Registered

Testing the best clue of all! :D

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Pleclair IS the god of Nordschleife!!!

4. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

lol Thor, best track

Clue é pista no contexto de investigação lol

5. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Hi all,
    I encounter a bug with this release : the game crashes at the end of the loading process with both T5 Touring and EnduranceRacingX (with last v0.98 Corvette C6.r ZR1 2013) Mods from URD.

I've tried a few things, I've downloaded track and corvette files twice, reinstalled the game, graphic card drivers but nothing works.
    A strange thing, all is ok with Corvette C6.r ZR1 2013 free mod alone and EnduranceRacingX mod without C6R... :confused:
    When I try with both mods, the game crashes.
    It works fine with v0.97l, don't know what happens, may be my computer...
    Otherwise, this release looks even better and I have 5 - 12 FPS less than before depending on locations along the track but it's still drivable (4GB graphic card).
    thank you :).

:::EDIT::::
    Problem solved by reducing AI number to 16 instead of 21 before.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Test Nordschleife 0.97n and Corvette...waouuuuu !!!!!!
    The must
    Thank you
    server open: ! France Team SMRC
    Just Corvette

7. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

Hi all,

First thanks so much pleclair for this great track! I'm really looking forward to further versions and 24H/VLN variant.

One thing that bugs me since my early rFactor 1 day on NOS is the missing right "cobblestone rumble strip" (I hope this is the proper word) in "Eiskurve" (page 19, section 4 in nordschleifeguide.pdf). It forces you to drive another line than in real life.

See that great lap for an example, he passes the corner at 6min32sec, you hear the rumble:

This is also a nice video anyways to study the optimal racing line.

Here's some screens also from another video and from v0.97n where you can see the difference:

View attachment 10985

View attachment 10986

Ok it's a minor point and I don't know if you are planning to edit such things in the near future, just keep it in mind and see it as a "bug report". The rest of the track feels close to perfect for me.

Since there are so many people posting here, shouldn't we race Nord online against each other? Most of the times the servers are empty. Or wait until we have a proper pitlane?

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Check this out ;)

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd be showing you this :)

As you can see, I'm only smoothing the hills we see on the track. I'm not smoothing out the inside hills which we won't be seeing. Trying to keep things as a minimum....

I'm at the village now! 70k verts atm, still pretty good, have only gained 5k since yesterday at the 2nd bridge.

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

some of the edges seem to be very unneccessary, wasted, If this is all the way along the track you could save thousands of polygons by reconnecting the verteses in more optimalized way

10. arnomar

arnomar Registered

Hello, i am not an expert in 3ds but i think that your mesh is not really well optmized. I have found exemple from internet about terrain mesh plugin:

http://populate3d.com/products/terrain/

11. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Just tested 0.97n with 60x accelerated time; looks and runs great! Really looking for rF2 endurance races lasting 24 hours - will be magnificent. There's something strange happening to the lighting at dusk and dawn (or was it only dawn) but probably it's something wrong/undone/quick fix at the game engine and/or HDR profile. Hopefully will be solved in the future.

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I know, this is the result of mesh smooth. There is some edges that I'll need to remove, and started to remove upon seeing your comment.

I'm not a 3d expert, far from it, I've never created something by myself. When I followed the blender intro last year, I modelled an outdoor scene and a female model, but I was following a tutorial, so it's not like I've done it myself. And both scene were totally different than what I'm doing now. So I have no clue how the mesh should be like.

Actually, I'm not an expert as well, but looking at existing tracks tells me the terrain plugin wouldn't be useful. It would probably increase the poly count by much. If you look at stock content from isi and other tracks, they are all made like this. With the inner tracks being made of grid like pattern, and the surroundings is shaped like this a bit.

It might be useful for smaller tracks, but I highly doubt it will be useful for nords... always worth a try since it looks free, and I can always not use it...

But the mesh is so badly made of in first place, that I doubt it will work. Most plugins and scripts don't work well with this mesh, since it's a real mess. Unfortunately, my skills aren't up to a level where I could make terrain pieces myself.. well I could, but I'm not good enough with uv mapping yet....

I'm currently giving it a try on the merged terrain, but it's been running for 5 mins now... still thinking it seems.. it could take a while.

The mesh would certainly be nicer to look at, but I believe games don't use such kind of mesh for terrain... at least racing sims.. since a lot of power is wasted on physics and sim aspect of the game... leaving less power for graphics and stuff like that.

I'm curious to hear what more expert people say about this.

13. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, I left the terrain plugin runs for about 20 mins on the merged mesh and it was still thinking.

I tried it on a piece of terrain in my unmerged max file, and it worked. However, it's not useful, and increases the poly count unnecessarily... the 28 poly pieces became a 38 poly pieces, but I would have needed to connect a bunch of edges, so it would have more than doubled with every edges being connected properly. And it wouldn't look nice either...

It was a nice suggestion, and can come in useful in some other situation I believe, like shaping quad shape hills and stuff, so I'll keep it handy!

EDIT: And it destroys the UV mapping as well...

14. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

All you need to do this is go to edge sub-selection mode, select unneccessary edges and press CTRL+BACKSPACE, it will remove the edge keeping the UVW mapping very accuratelly (not completelly precisesly but good enough for terrain), and after removing all the edges, if there will be an vertex that is connected to only two other verteces, it will also be automatically removed, meaning it will streighen the side edges as result, hard to explain, you will see, its very convinient, than you will have to connect verteces in better way, to make sure there is never more than 4 vertex face, if there is a face that has more than 4 verteces, you are wasting PC performance by automatic triangulation, it some cases it also can lead to results that you dont want, so ideally max 4 verteces per face. To connect verteces, i recommend you to assign a hotkey for vertex connect feature (in my case SHIFT+C). But sadly, it will all have to be done manually

15. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

I gave the latest version a run last night, really enjoyed it... Great FPS averaging 60 for the entire track except the paddock tourist entry... Which struggled at around 25 fps...

A huge leap forwards since my last good run here...

Great work!!!!

16. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Is anyone talented or devoted enough to work on the AI pathing?

17. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Tosh is already doing that if im not mistaken

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

The Kraut of viele talents! :D

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Found a bit if an invisible wall that murdered my car and yanked a wheel off. Should I have gotten damage. Yes. Should I have died.. nope.

Also in the video is the poor collision walls by the old pit entrance that allows you to fly right out of the track even just a few inches above the ground.

Finally can you change the track-cam while in the parking lot? One strait above would be cool or maybe mimic security cameras. There were a few track cams that end up behind guardrails now also. I can record a lap with just track-cams if you'd like.

20. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Too bad it doesn't say "Kissing".