[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. RRobert

RRobert Registered

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Unfortunately v0.97b is still a bit of a slide show for me... :(

I know the track needs further optimisations but I really need to upgrade the pc too.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The track is a bit of a overkill in terms of texture sizes atm. The grass textures alone are 330MB! I believe some gfx cards run out of memory. ;) It runs pretty good with my GTX670, but I believe 4096x4096 grass textures are not really needed to make this track look good.
    Here some screens with recolored textures from 0.97b (removed a lot of the blue stuff, adjusted contrast and brightness).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Overkill is an understatement lol. I can't even use the track :p

It sure starts promising with 125fps, I normally don't get there at all. but as soon as I leave the parking space the whole games stops and go's randomly. it just freezes, go's back to 80fps, freezes, 50fps, then up to 100 again. constantly.
    tried with the Mazda last night, megane today, its not possible to drive for me.

So, you made someone very sad Pleclair, I hope you're proud of yourself :)

5. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

I didn't notice anything yet regarding performance drops, but i have a decent video card. It would be good if the texture sizes would be turned down a bit, as Tosch mentioned with the grass texture, so that lower-spec computers can play your masterpiece as well

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Hopefully things will get better regarding the texture sizes and then maybe the track will run for me. Right now it`s just as Denstjiro describes for me too and that makes it impossible to drive...

Very nice work once again on the re-coloured textures etc, those screens look very nice indeed.

:cool:

7. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Regarding texture size, there is no need to reduce them really, you can do this with lowering one slider in your settings... the texture details slider. Take it down a notch or two, and you will still have better textures than original, and your fps will be back up a bit.

Also, if you have transparency AA on, it will be hard for you... I cannot run trans AA, or I will drop to about half my normal fps with the same settings.

Like I said, performance should be quite a bit higher on the final release, meanwhile try the texture detail slider... take it down to high or med.

With everything max and trans AA off, I get the same fps or so, as with everything max (minus texture at high) with trans AA on.

And here is version 0.97c with the fixed billboards and darkened road texture:

https://mega.co.nz/#!ld4BgCoY!Memo1wAgp1ubLHARXN0oD2Cnf_AXBr3A2bXvcmto7lo

EDIT: Btw tosch, nice screens you sent, like the edit you have done :) You changed the hue a bit down right?

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hello kickbox,

Sure, that could be interesting. How would it work when I'm ready to send it online? You got a web form, or ftp I can use, or I would need to send it to you first via mega or something?

The asphalt has been taken care of, give a try to 0.97c :)

Greetings from Canada :)

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I really like your screens Tosch btw :)

11. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Thank you for this version Plecair, very nice, no more shadows vanishing as i go over them too :cool:

12. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

HDR profile soon Tosch? :)

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I did some GPU Memory usage tests. (GTX670 2GB)

Base settings: 1920x1080, AA=3, Transparency AA=1, Build 339
    Circuit Detail=Full, Player Detail=Full, Opponent Detail=Full, Texture Detail=Full
    Texture Filter=X16 Anis., Special Effects=Full, Shadows=Max, Shadow Blur=Optimal
    Movies=On, Sun Occlusion=Yes, Rain Drops=Yes, Road Refl.=Off, Env. Refl.=Off, Wind ..=Yes
    Single Player, 10 AI, The_Ring 0.97b

1st Tests: Cars, EnduranceRacingX 0.9 by URD, Arthur Merling, BayroE5, DarcheEGT
    All Tests in 2D

Texture Detail=Full, 2D
    GPU: 2016 MB, FPS Start: 83, FPS 30sec: 136
    Texture Detail=High, 2D
    GPU: 1297 MB, FPS Start: 80, FPS 30sec: 143
    Texture Detail=Medium, 2D
    GPU: 1106 MB, FPS Start: 86, FPS 30sec: 143
    Texture Detail=Low, 2D
    GPU: 1076 MB, FPS Start: 84, FPS 30sec: 156

2st Tests: Cars, EnduranceRacingX 0.9 by URD, Arthur Merling, BayroE5, DarcheEGT
    All Tests in Stereoscopic 3D (Nvidia 3DVision)

Texture Detail=Full, 3D
    GPU: 2016 MB, FPS Start: 49, FPS 30sec: 76
    Texture Detail=High, 3D
    GPU: 1498 MB, FPS Start: 50, FPS 30sec: 72
    Texture Detail=Medium, 3D
    GPU: 1315 MB, FPS Start: 51, FPS 30sec: 71
    Texture Detail=Low, 3D
    GPU: 1288 MB, FPS Start: 49, FPS 30sec: 73

-> Conclusion: 2GB GPUs are already on the limit with Texture Detail=Full, but it doesn't seem to cost FPS (being at the limit)

3rd Tests: Cars ISI Corvette, Camaro, GT-R

Texture Detail=High, 2D
    GPU: 1491 MB, FPS Start: 81, FPS 30sec: 143
    Texture Detail=High, 3D
    GPU: 1665 MB, FPS Start: 46, FPS 30sec: 70

-> Conclusion: ISI's latest cars have higher GPU mem usage than EnduranceRacingX 0.9

4th Tests: Cars ISI Corvette, Camaro, GT-R
    Circuit Detail=Low, Player Detail=Low, Opponent Detail=Low

Texture Detail Detail=Low, 2D
    GPU: 1070 MB, FPS Start: 86, FPS 30sec: 163
    Texture Detail Detail=Low, 3D
    GPU: 1270 MB, FPS Start: 51, FPS 30sec: 83

-> Conclusion: 1GB GPUs are already at the limit with low settings.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I havent looked at everything in detail, but rather the intro and conclusion, and that is odd... since I got a 1.5GB GPU :) If a 1GB is maxxed at low, how can I run max with 16x aa? with 500 mb more on the gpu?

EDIT: Again, as I said, there is still quite a bit of room for performance improvements, by playing with lods, shadow lods, segmenting the road mesh back into more parts, etc...

I'm not willing to settle for less, for as long as my relatively humble computer handle the track... it is a nice baseline... as it is not a top notch comp. But even I am aware that at some point I will probably have to lower details myself, because I dont want to build the track based on my hardware.... I dont want to penalize those with better hardware just for the sake of letting everyone run at max...

Its only a psychological thing that people have... when they are used to run things at a given settings... like when silverstone got out, I have to reduce my settings quite a bit.... but I didnt asked ISI to lower stuff on silverstone so I could still run things all maxxed out :p

The details sliders are there for this reason I believe..

But as I said, I know performance arent optimal atm, so bare with me. It will get back up a bit in due time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Tosch, are you willing to send me a psd with a modded texture so I can see the edit you did? I could certainly learn from it, getting things to the proper hue and stuff, and I could replicate this to more textures.

Or if you already went over it all, you can send me the .dds, so I can include them in the next update? But I would really like to learn instead of having it all done for me.

I must admit it tickles me a bit... spent a few days on the grass alone, and then a couple more on the trees, and you only spent a few mins/hours to get it all look better :p

I know I'm far from your level now, but I would certainly like to learn how you managed to get that look in game.

For curiosity, is the HDR profile set to ISI's default, or you already started editing it on those screens?

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

0.97c is running great for me; seems to be using about 1.4GB of my 3GB 7950.

Tarmac looks a lot better, but I think it could be a slight shade darker still :)

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, in my case: 2GB GPU, everything on full, stereoscopic 3D, I don't get FPS drops either although the system is needing >200MB more than there is GPU memory. Going over that by loading more different cars I get down to 15 FPS. So being over the limit to some extent doesn't mean a performance drop.

I did these tests to have some numbers to get an idea what is going on in the GPU memory. As a starting point for some thoughts.

18. Black Dice

Black Dice Registered

OK pleclair. Collision problem on track is a particular car. FYI. Not the track :D

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This is why I spent the extra cash and made sure my new 7970 had 3GB.. For the Schleife.

20. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

The problem is in the available system memory, i had to stop my 3GB Ramdisk (8GB total) to run the track with 20+ cars.
    This can be a problem for 4GB systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013