[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah I know that... but again, I've tested with them all inside the guardrails, and this doesnt look right either... the thing is, nord's vegetation is very wild... on the real track, its often goes past the guardrails, and since we have billboards and not 3d trees, they rotate, and that looks odds sometimes.

But if they are all inside, the track feels wider than it should be and it looks too clean... sometimes later, I will give 4 or 6 sided non-billboard trees a try for the trees closer to track and see how it could help this problem. Cause the large non rotating 3d bushes don't have this problem when they go over fences and guardrails...

Also, be careful with the tatoos, I've set them to the same grip level as the road line defined by ISI, so it is quite a bit less abrasive. .80 in the dry, 0.60 in the wet. In dry, you just have to be careful a bit, specially in Breidscheid, where you have a strip of new tarmac, and before the tricky corner, it turns back to lighter tarmac, and got tatoos as well. So if you don't use the dark tarmac well to really slow down before hitting the lighter patch, something bad will happen :)

I've also revised the feedback of the grass and sand as well. Unfortunately, some grass mats are missing in the tdf, so there are spots where you could get stuck and not move. I'll fix this.

2. gagipro

gagipro Registered

[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v0.97n beta

Thanks for detailing the tarmac settings, it's a hard job to go such a long track and set all those attributes !!!

Good job dude !!!

I had the same problem with grass holliday on ice porting some tracks like Ledenon or Le Mans Bugatti, now it´s corrected but I will have a lot of work to set real roads on the Bugatti one I think...

3. Twista

Twista Registered

The new trees look great pleclair! One thing I have to ask though, are you planning on changing the tarmac textures? They seem really blue.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Thanks pleclair. :)

5. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks pleclair! 1.6 already? I'm still using 0.97n. Did I miss something?

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks, regarding the tarmac textures, I have some made for Nord by gametextures, but I cannot simply drop them in and use as is, I'll need to work a bit on them to use them, and create some more variations, so it will likely happen, but there is other stuff ahead that will improve the look further considering the time implication.

But again, tarmac's coloring is rarely pure gray (except when new and full of tar), as it's made of rocks, and they are often in a blue hue. Again, it could be your monitor settings which enhances colors too much.. in srgb, the coloring doesn't appears gray, but it looks pretty good actually. Looks like used tarmac to me.

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hi!

Yeah, you might.

Things is, when I came back a few weeks ago, I released the version 1.5. There was a lot of changes done since 0.97x days, and I felt that a larger version bump was needed. I never had the intentions of stopping at 1.0. So 1.5 felt about right, as I want to get reflections in for v2.0. Ideally, v2.0 should have all rFactor 2 features enabled. At the moment, I'm missing the wet reflections. The animated guys to the side of the track would be nice addition if I can manage to do it, but it isn't mandatory for me for v2.0.

The wind effects is also present in the vegetations objects (or they were, will need to set those settings again) ,but I believe the wind code isnt in game yet, so it's not working. If I set a wind velocity, then things start moving. But I'll finalize the settings once it really works in game.

In the case where the wind code takes a while to be seen in game, I'll likely add a really small velocity to all vegetation, so it moves just a tad, like in a small breeze situation. It might be good enough until we have real wind effects.

But since v1.5 and 1.6 are still a bit rough on some edges, I didnt wanted to update the first post just yet, and let everyone knows about it. It's a sort of closed open beta test :) Anyone can try it out, but most likely, it's those that I want them to try that will try it out first.

So, I don't have to answer the same questions over and over :)

8. gagipro

gagipro Registered

[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v0.97n beta

Is anyone disturbed by road side rails stucking the car outside of the track or am I the only one?

I mean some little pavement between road & grass, not the barreers...

No clue if they exist or not on real Nords...

9. Twista

Twista Registered

Yeah, that's not it. I'm a photographer, my monitor has perfect colour reproduction. ;) But I'm glad they'll change a bit in the future!

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I also thought about something. You guys let me know if you would be interested in such a thing.

There is a few options to have some more cars in rF2. We have a few frees options, and a few paid options. How do you know which one is right for you?

I only lap on Nord these days... and I play with all cars made from ISI, from the 60s f1 (yeah I got quite a bit better on the track :p), to the modern f1s, with each cars in between. And even tho there is a nice selection of different cars, you can get tired.

A while ago, I had bought the T5 series and the EGT series from URD, and was pleasantly surprised. I had tried the first demo they released, and wasn't really pleased at the time. But they made progress, and when I gave the free version another try, later on, when they updated it, I had a good time with it, so I purchase the T5 and EGT to support these guys.

Also, at the time I tried the first version of the free car (I believe the aura, i'm not good with the fake names), I wanted to have more cars in my favorite sim, so I had found another website which sold cars for rF2. It was *********.com, and I purchased a bmw over there.

The car wasn't playable, there was no sound, it was really nasty. I wasn't pleased at all, and never went there again. I had also warned you guys on the forums, and few were already aware of these guys.

However, I've kept receiving some emails from them, and lately, they have started to work with the rf2 platform again, and improved their cars. I received an email a week or two ago, talking about a may pack with 7 cars.

I toss it to the side, but a few days ago, I really wanted to try out some new cars, and went there again. I immediately noticed there website is now much nicer, and to me, it meant they were at least serious about their intentions. So that was a good sign.

I saw the 24.99 price tag of the may pack, and I wasn't ready to spend that amount for something I had no clue about. So I decided to go with the HKS evo first, which was 4.99 instead.

I gave the evo a try, and was blown away. Sure, it's not perfect, but man, is that car a TOTAL BLAST to drive. As you can expect, the sound isn't up to ISI's standard, and again, it's often the weak point of modders cars. And it's understandable. But the turbo sound is nicely done, and it really feels like the super tuned street car it should be. It's powerful, grippy, but not as much as pure race cars. But the power there is under the wheel is ..... AWESOME!

At first, driving it is tricky, cause the turbo have quite some lag, as you would expect from large turbos, but when it's spooled and spinning, you have to let go of the throttle easy when hard pressed, cause you spin out.

It is also one of the few times I had my hands wet driving a car in rf2.. I believe it might have happened with the 60s f1 and howston. But this is something else!

So, after being pleased with the hks, I decided to try their other cars as well. And overall, they are quite nice. Visually, they aren't up to the standard of URD, and need some work on the shading and shaders, but they are overall very pleasing to drive, and they are ROAD cars! not RACE cars. It's nice to drive those on Nord!

So, my idea was to record videos with those cars I bought, and let you guys knows how they perform and drive on Nord with a lap with each of them. I will need to find some time to do this, but if there is enough people interested, I wouldnt mind doing it. It can only be better for all of us if enough people support the guys working hard to make our favorite game flourish.

Let me know!

In the meantime, if you can easily drive most cars made by ISI, and want something new, and very challenging, give the HKS evo a try, you won't be deceived.

You can check it out here: http://shop.*********.com/?download=2006-hks-ct230r-time-attack-evolution

Oh, and I'm doing this simply because I like rF2, and want to see a lot more things made for it, and we cannot expect everything to be free, so I'm doing this by myself, and without any compensation from ********* or urd, I bought all my things over there, and did not ask for charity because I was going to talk about them... so I'm unbiased.

EDIT: Hmmm, that's odd, the website's name got filtered out. Might be related to their beginning last summer. Anyway, I'm not sure if I should find a way to write it here or not, so I'll let you search google for it...

11. gagipro

gagipro Registered

I bought their car last year, it was awfull !!!
    I won't pay for them again.
    For URD, yes, more serious guys... Waiting for Ferruccio :)

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I know, I didnt even used the bmw I bought from them. But they made good progress since and cleaned up their act a bit.

I know it's hard to trust someone or something when that trust has been broken, but I'm telling you, it's not the same stuff you tried last year.

I will try to upload a video in the next few days of the EVO so you can all see what I mean :) Then it will be up to you to decide..

Again, I'm not trying to push anyone to buy it, I'm just telling you what I feel about it. If you look my post, I reported them from almost being scammer last year.. and now that I've given them a second try, I wouldnt hesitate to buy anything they make from now on.

Just don't go there expecting the quality of URD... you will be deceived if you buy the cars for looking at it.... but if you buy the cars for driving them, they are quite pleasing.. I believe they dissected the first road car made by ISI, the panoz, and took notes from it, cause their road car are pretty nice. I'm pretty sure they are off the real thing, like probably most modders cars not working with race teams etc, but does it really matters for most in the end? I believe no... if you are playing the game to train specially for a car and a track, then yes, but otherwise... if the track or car isnt entirely spot on, what does it matters anyway... as long as it behaves in a sim manner and not arcadish, I'm all in!

13. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Personnaly I prefere trying to make my own car, based on cars like URD physics. Actually I'm trying to reproduce my own trackday car, a m3 e36 3.2, as difficult as track modding!!!

I'll have a close look to your video about the scammers progress!!!

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah, sim dream or dream ride as it was called once... Is Alexander Balanesko started charging for cars back in the earlier rF1-days... Not a well-looked upon character in the community...

Because the quality of his pay-stuff is rather low-fidelity... I have never bought any of it myself but I've talked with sim-mates who has and it was just really really bad... The data used was weird and highly unlike anything in the real counterpart of the cars available to buy virtually...

Not very credible business... It is also ripped models from commercial games... It NOT scratch made, unlike URD's quite a lot more thorough releases are...

15. gagipro

gagipro Registered

Exactly what I think.

I'm doing car modding the same way, copying 3d models from other games and adding physics from other mods... I won't sell my stuff...

Be sure he used the panoz physic on 3d model borrowed somewhere else :)

URD is doing the 3d models from scratch and the same for physic!!!

And this aspect of modding, needs our support. Good quality contents!!!

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I'm share parts of the same feelings as well.

However, we all got to start somewhere. It's hard to understand for someone wealthy and not missing anything in life to understand some stuff, but others have it a little less easy.

I understand how some feels about taking stuff from other games etc, and I understand especially that charging for this stuff is wrong. I feel the same way as well. However, I'm a little like Robin Hood, I don't mind "stealing" from companies like EA's and such.. They are ruining our gaming world anyway.

So you can be sure that if I could have used shift 2's nordschleife and convert that to rf2, that's exactly what I would have done. I know it wouldnt have been seen by everyone the same way, but .... that's me, that's how I think.

Regarding the cars over there, well, the guy after 1 year is still working on his stuff and improving... anyway.

I guess I'll stop talking about this, I don't want to start polemics or whatever, but I just wanted to let you know there is some other nice cars to drive out there. Even tho if they cost the price of a cheap lunch. :)

Plus, it doesnt mean the guy won't get to a level that he can make them entirely from scratch. If he's not having it easy in life, and having hard time getting thru, whatever little he can earn with these will probably help him get quality stuff out sooner? no?

I may just be a wishful thinker :)

If you read my other post about them, I was pretty pissed to have been scammed... and that's why I made that post, to warn others... so I just thought I should let you knows they are still out there and improving... and might be worth a second look, they have a free car for you to try as well.. :)

I'm converting the lap I just did with the EVO.... if there is one car you should have a look at, it,s this car... if you think you can handle all this power that is, cause it's not an easy drive :)

17. gagipro

gagipro Registered

And you post the video? Yes i will have a look what this scammer made !!!

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

pleclair your work with this new version is amazing!

I'm having a weird problem though... After passing Bergwerk, on the long full throttle run, I'm getting 2 fps in the URD Bayro Endurance car?

EDIT: at the time I was in a practice session with 19 AI. Afterwards I tried as the only car on track. No fps problems then. Hmm?

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yeah, this is possible, you were probably running out of vid ram.

Even with all the improvements made like the new guardrails that increase performance, there is still a hit from the trees. It might not be that bad fps wise when you are fine with the ram, but I guess it's heavier in ram usage, and you will likely be able to run less AI than you were able to with 1.5.

I might be wrong, but I believe it makes sense. I haven't made test regarding the number of AI. I sort of assumed it would be lower anyway. All I cared was the FPS with a low number of AI, as I mostly drive with 4-8 of them. I don't have a super computer either, and prefer to run max details then max AI :)

So every forest I added, I checked in game, what effect it had on the FPS' and surprisingly, there was very little with a low number of AI... when I got to kallenhard to bergwerk, it was the first time I needed to lay around that much trees, and I wasn't sure if it would work or not, and I barely noticed any difference, it is a steady 70-75 fps pretty much all the way around, except around the paddock, which drops around 50fps inside, and 60ish outside, and as soon as you move toward bridge, it gets back to 70s, quite a bit before the bridge actually, when the forest starts to spread on the right.

In the GP area, it drops for me again in the 60s, then back to 70s pretty much the rest of the track.

In kallenhard-bergwork I will probably dip in the 60s as well, but when playing with vsync on in the real game (i have it off in dev mode and on in real game), its a steady 60 almost all the way around.

I haven't counted, but there is probably between 200-300k trees, if not more, I'll try to check it out sometime and see exactly how much there is. I believe there was around 5-10k at the most... so it's quite nice to see the game actually run a terrain this big with this number of trees, and none of them using a simple t1 shader... they are all bump/spec and lots have shadows.

20. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks for the heads up. I know feel a little privileged, because I'm gonna test it right now.

Thank you for your work, I'm especially interested to see this breeze going over these treetops.