[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Thanks, pleclair.
    Still good work, but I deleted the current version and installed the 0.97n one.

These curbs are just annoying. Even if you dont want to be 100% perfect, these small curbs should not be on track. The track size is not then any another track is the world, 2.5 cars beside each other , not enough space. These curbs should not be there or make a wall.
    In real life every security engineer would remove them.
    However, your project, your decision ! Hope you rethink your decision as the other parts of the track are just outstanding.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Does the dust have any effect on the cars grip and braking?! I have an another version on the Ring where I feel more grip and confidence with the cars! With all this dust in the corners I feel the track much more slippery than any other track in rf2:(

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

No, the dust effect doesnt have any effects on grip.

However, like I said, when I first defined the tdf, I saw a section named dirty roads, and looked in isi's tdf for dirty roads, and set it a bit lower, since the grip over there should be a bit lower than other gp circuit...

I believe I looked lime rock as reference, and it had a value of 0.99 or something as its lowest grip for dry, maybe 0.97, so I went with 0.95...

Now most of the ring is at 0.96, with the darker tarmac at 1.01. I looked mores tdf, and noticed there was a .8 difference between higher grip and lower grip (without the bumpy section in) so I went with .5 higher for the darker tarmac.

It makes a nice difference, and the slight patch of dark tarmac in Schwedenkreuz makes a really nice difference when you get your inside wheel on it!

But overall, the ring's grip is lower than most other tracks, if not all, and I believe it is fine like this too. I have raised the wet grip a tad too.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You know what I thought... we need an improved real road or way to define grip.

At the moment, its tied to mat... and the real road shader doesnt seem to take in account vertex alpha's or maybe I don't know something... but, it would be nice if we could define grip with vertex alpha...

it would allow for a much greater control over where the grip is less/more... using value of 0.9 as grip level 1.0, so it could also allows for higher grip than 1.0... as it is used sometimes.

Also, it would be nice if the real road suported dirt too, so running on grass would leave marks (and reveal more of tex2), and leaves traces on the tarmac which would disappears over time and lower grip while they are present.. I believe it would add a lot to the atmosphere :)

EDIT: Even better, an hybrid version of what I said.. keep the tdf def for grip too, and let it be the default, and use vertex alpha as a percentage to lower grip in some places...

It would be much easier, and be optional to use or not...

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

What's the latest version and where is the link?
    1st post says 0.97n but I see a mention of 1.5?

Thanks

6. MJP

MJP Registered

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It is really strange! the Ring is one of my favorite tracks, but with this one I have no confidence at all.With GtR evolution version, GTR2, rfactor1....I can drive with the maximum confidence, but here It feels to drive on the ice!

8. emha76

emha76 Registered

+1 :(

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Not having this issue at all. I even think that it has more grip than my brain says it should have.

Everytime there's sth new, new car, new track you seem to always complain that it is like driving on ice, that you're sliding everywhere. I remember your rant when ISI updated 370z. It went from grip, more grip and some more grip to that to sth more lively and dynamic. More fun to be exact. Basically it went from NFS Shift grip level to sth more car like. You were saying: "NO! YOU RUINED THIS CAR ISI. Give me back my 370z!"

Sure, GT cars don't feel right yet but there's tyre update coming that can change things. But they are still cars afterall and when driven right they don't feel like on ice no matter what track and conditions. Less grip doesn't mean ice automatically. Just less grip that you have to accommodate to and drive accordingly.

About track now. Curbs or not it doesn't bother me that much. If today's Nord doesn't have them then it would be cool to don't have them just like IRL but I can't expect 1 guy to change everything becasue now there are no curbs in some places now. It is a lot of fun to drive around just like it is now and since it will only get better, I can't complain.

It's a shame that most of a track appears to be not that accurate but at the end it is about fun that you have driving it. We don't have Toban or Loch Drummond in real life but are they fun to drive? HELL YEAH. So we can treat this not-so-much-accurate Nord as semi-fantasy-tribute track to Nordshleife. :)

Keep it up Pleclair.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I don't know why we can't eventually have two "layouts"--one with the high kerbs and one with modern edges? How is this different than ISI's Portugal/Estoril "with tires" and "without tires" variants? If it's last on pleclair's list of things to do, too bad for the rest of us who prefer the realistic option, since he's doing all the work.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would also add that eventually the converted Evo track will make it's way out into the wild. I have no problem with that because I purchase all the racing titles that I use converted tracks from even if I have no intention using the sim itself (everything from Codies, for example). I own everything SimBin has ever built.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

llllloolll, and who are you that can tell me what can I say?!
    I never complained about tracks here and I never had any problem with the grip in any track!
    I can drive the URD cars, the Camaro, Civic,,,, every where in every track, but here I have some issues with the grip@!
    :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
  13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Am I telling you what you can say? ;) Not really. Just pointing out what I noticed after over 2 years of watching you posting here.

Also I can see you changed your post. Good for you but I already reported the previous version of it due to it's rudeness and agressive nature. Not nice to react in such way to someone's opinion, especially when I'm just pointing sth out without being rude. Oh well..

14. conrel

conrel Registered

I don't have any complaints regarding grip or the curbs. Doesn't have a race driver to get used to the track/car combo..? This is not a race track like most modern ones. And so it shouldn't be in this game I think. And this is simply another point: its a game!! I can only laugh at those wanting realism at Nord's. Go there, do your 'laser-thing' and make your own version... You cannot have absolute realism in a game!
    Therefore I'm taking this course as a challenge and I'm having real fun to optimize my driving style, car setup etc. So the curbs don't really bother me. In some places you just have to be a bit more careful ;)

sent via Tapatalk

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It looked more to me like he was trying to help you see things how he does. If you don't, fine. But someone replying to you is the peril you face by posting YOUR thoughts on a forum in the first place. :D

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha, the interwebz' a dangerous place.

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't understand the decision to purposely model the famous Nordschleife wrong. I think everyone who have seen or driven this track in real would never do that because of the respect one instantly gets. To model this track correctly is probably one of the most difficult things, and no one expects that it is absolutely correct because of that, but modelling it purposely wrong?
    If this is the direction this project is going I think it should change its name from "Nordschleife Tourist" to something like "Eifelhell, a fantasy track".

This is how I and my friends are feeling, but (after reading pleclair's comments) I'm confident there is a solution which will make everyone happy. :)
    (This project is really important for me, more than any ISI or 3rd party mod)

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Right, some times I'm a bit nervuos:p;)

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

How about a compromise. I like the new kerbs but if people are going to freak than a modification of them is probably easier than a removal. Since touching the grass on the track isn't even close to the penalty it would be in real life and the kerbs are an extreme exaggeration of an out of bounds punishment why not simply cut the edge off. So the curbs remain but are either lower (half height?) or curved on top (my preference) so that you can survive if you touch them but you are still made aware that you are no longer on the road.

20. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Maybe would be a solution, because for now It's impossible to go fast and touch some normal curbs because are connected to stone curbs, It's a weird feeling because there is some normal curbs that also have some stone extension you can not even touch beacause of I said... stone curbs destroys your car.

But if he decides to let them like now, It's his work :) and I will race It anyway untill another "epic project" from scratch or something appears and give me the best possible experience.

About grip:

With green track can be a little tricky, but for me It's more than OK, I think is the expected grip in a dirty track. When track is rubbered It's another world, I like It!