Release Date - Date 2011?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by log11, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah those release date queries don't bother us. It's not like they affect it's timing or our timeline in any way. Done when it's done has been it really... :) Any developer has to get used to that one and if anything the developers should take it as a compliment, people haven't tried their product and want it enough to keep asking...

I think the third or fourth screenshot, ever, was an off-road dirt track.

There will be updates (outside of new content) after the initial release. Same with rFactor really, it wasn't version 1.0 which went onto DVD.

But yes, 100% sure there will be multiple pieces of new content after release also.

With regards crashers and wreckers, that is in my opinion the main reason to get a group together and race with them regularly. You'll learn how each person drives, etc. It's not like in real top-level racing they are racing against new people each race. In each series everybody knows who will let them through, who will fight hard, who might get in a wreck with them. But that's the good thing about sim racing, you can do what you want, race who/how you want. But again, if you want no wreckers, league racing is probably the way to go...

2. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

To me being forced to join leagues as the only way to avoid wreckers (not what you said, but could by some be interpreted that way) would be somewhat dissapointing for rF2. I have a certain sense of loyalty and I dislike stopping racing at a certain league. Doesn't feel nice to leave everyone. However that will be the case if you HAVE to join leagues to avoid wreckers. Cause leagues change racing series (to ones you may not like, important to me), you might find out you don't like the policies at the league or you may see too much difference in driving skill etc. I don't like leaving leagues all the time, therefor I don't like to be forced to join them either to have enjoyable and safe driving. If that is ISI answer to how to find safe and quality driving than I would be rather dissapointed.

For me the whole league requirement to have fun and safe driving in rF1 has quite put me off. I've been through 6 or so leagues and start to get tired of heaving to join leagues without ever knowing what the quality of driving is there. If only that last bit would be adressed in rF2, so it would possible to see within the rF2 server list what the average level of driving is on a server than it would already be a nicer experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

How can you guarantee quality clean racing on lobby servers? How you want to achieve that?

4. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Coming from the queen of bitches, irony overload !

5. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Fair enough i've seen the dirt screens which are from way back, but lets be honest they could pass of for rf1, how about somthing new on from the dirt scene for us tim.

What new features will dirt racing have ?

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

wah

[​IMG]

7. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Did somone take your dummy, you look a little upset ?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Keep it in the bedroom fellas.

Regarding wreckers etc, I've no doubt iRacing would provide better 'plug in and drive' public racing because... well... everyone's paying to be there, and they've paid for content, so I can imagine there's not much reward for wrecking when potentially your account could be cancelled. Sucks for anyone who does get wrecked, especially if their rating suffers, considering it might put them back a few days and they're paying for the time.

Taxi, I can see what you're saying, but I don't understand how you can find yourself with the need to leave leagues because of concerns about field-spread and think that public rooms are going to give you something better. Sure, if you like a particular mod and you keep joining the same server that's running it, along with a number of others doing the same, and when the occasional bad driver/wrecker joins you boot them, you might end up with good racing... but that's nearly a league situation anyway. You can't eat your cake and still have it - iRacing is able to group similarly-skilled drivers together in races (based on practice times), but in doing so it makes it difficult to race your mates, takes away your options, and won't work with hundreds of mods and tracks.

So it's a different approach, and as Tim says the best way to regulate driving behaviour is to be in a league. Having better driver identification would certainly help, though that would probably attract criticism from some corners as well.

Sometimes technical aspects mean things can't be done for you, unless you want something completely different. If rFactor doesn't suit, try something else.

9. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

You can't. What you can do is try to make racing as enjoyable and safe as possible. If everyone has a speed, cutting and safety rating THAT ISN'T VISIBLE to others, but the average level on a server is visible in the server lists you can achieve a few things:

1 There is an extra incentive for people to drive safe and fair (no cutting)
    2 You can see what the level is on a server and see if it is worthwhile to join or even go to the website and search for a password.
    3 People can more quickly find a server that suits their skill, safety and fairness level so people will converge more to a more limited amount of servers.

(Of course in case of a system where it is chosen not to show individual ratings if only 1 or 2 are one a server you shouldn't show a server rating cause than the rating could be easily deduced).

I don't think public rooms are going to give me something better. In fact I haven't had a really enjoyable race in six months and normal people would consider me rather fanatec in my sim-racing. What I'm tired of is that it is very hard in rF1 to have a feel for the level and type of racing on a server (especially passworded ones) without actually joining them and racing there for a while. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against leagues, in fact it is my preferred type of racing. I just don't like to join leagues over and over again and then find out it's not my thing, or the mod is changed or whatever and I have to start looking for a new one all over again. Like most if you work normal hours you want to spend your time racing, not unnecessarily wasting time desperately trying to find servers/leagues where might find enjoyable racing.

All I want is that the hour or day long search for good servers/leagues will become a question of mere seconds if some server rating indication is adopted in the server list. Sure it will not solve everything automatically, but it will sure as hell makes things a hell of a lot easier and more transparent and therefore more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
  10. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Jajaja. I agree. The wait is still too hard

11. Taranta

Taranta Registered

For better rFactor2 dont see iRacing (iRacing League is possible :eek: and no crashers :p)!!!!!
    Works works .....: tire model, transition day/night, rain, licenses, complete old style :cool:

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Taxi, I understand your view, but if you haven't had an enjoyable sim-race in 6 months, it sounds like you're 'over' sim racing as a whole. I am an admin of an Australian league, and we're currently running the DRM mod. Since I'm in a slower car (Lancia) my race does not consist of wheel-to-wheel racing because it can't compete, I have to take advantage of its fuel economy, tyres etc. - it's a race against myself and the track, and pumping out 50 laps within a few tenths of each other is a huge challenge. So despite not having raced wheel-to-wheel in most races, I've still found it very rewarding even if I finish down the order.

For me it's not about winning or how competitive the field is (sure I'll admit that adds to it), it's about challenging yourself to do the best race you can. That's where my enjoyment comes into it. I've been a backmarker, I've also been a league winner multiple times, but it's those races where you know you've got 100% out of the car and yourself regardless of position are the most enjoyable.

13. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Nope, I've just grown tired of searching for good leagues/passworded servers.

I also rather finish down the order having had good battles for position than winning a race with a lead expressed in minutes.

Nor is it for me. :)

For me this is vitally important. The thing is I like most having long lasting battles for position. I remember a GT2 race at Rouen. It was an 1.5 hour race and for 95% of the race we were 30 meters apart max. That's 1.5 hours of pure thrill, concentration and excitement. If you don't have a large competitive field, the chanches you get to have close battles for position get's reduced very rapidly. I don't mean battles where one is much faster than the other, waits for a mistake or makes his move and is gone, but battles where the pace is so similar that everything counts. If the field is not as competitive a lot of things can cause such battles not to happen:
    - Someone can't make it to the race.
    - Didn't have time to practise
    - Gets crashed out of the race 1s corner
    - Makes a mistake
    - Etc.

If you have a larger competitive field, there will always be people to have good battles with.

I see where you're coming from, but to me pushing 100% alone is not enough, I can do that hotlapping. To me the fighting for position in racing is the most exciting and sure the harder you have to push in such a situation the more fun it gets.

Anyway, it's all a bit off-topic.

14. jomardi

jomardi Registered

15. jomardi

jomardi Registered

16. log11

log11 Registered

We have now September 2011. Is there any news of rFactor 2? How secure is the release date in 2011?
    Thank you for your opinions.

17. PvtStash

PvtStash Registered

How long is a piece of string? ;)

( Just kidding, I am sure there's something big on the way soon. )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  18. AndreyE

AndreyE Registered

My bet is Feb 2012

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Last year, betting on the February 2011 ))).... No, it's up to Christmas 2011. All, there is no turning back.

20. theother5

theother5 Registered

It feels great that the release seems imminent!

Somewhat off topic but to add to the sub topic on driver discipline and leagues ...

...Tim, others who concur, I'm another vote here for the league model but frankly, it is not enough to stop there and leave the League model manage the issue with indiscipline. They need help!

Taxi is not alone here.

There are two main player categories that make up the " indiscipline problem"

a) Lazy, childish or immature players who are careless and disruptive
    b) Cheaters such as ram-cheaters for example.

These players play in two basic models

1) Open Lobby [I'm including an league with no password here also]
    2) Private league [password or invite protected]

From real world experience, I have learned that 'Reputation', when clearly explained and put up as THE measure, will be respected by all but the few not yet mature enough to understand.

League management of ratings, reputation scoring etc is too diverse, not transparent enough very often and poorly implemented. If differs from one league to the next and this is only talking about those leagues that genuinely try to make it work.

Someone above talked about Rating of leagues as a guide. Not new, but it really has merit. Linking that rating directly with the player Reputation is key.

But rather than having a Reputation or Rating with grows like a post count, [which is the usual argument], the model I'm talking about would treat all new registrants the same. Innocence should be assumed with 100% Reputation and Rating issued to each racer and each new league upon initial registration.

Then as time progresses, one actions dictate ones Reputation and the combined Reputation of the league members determines the League Rating. Reputation can be regained following good behavior and league ratings can be managing by proper suspension rules whereby a suspended racers has the ability to rejoin of their Reputation is recovered.

Within this model, whilst the host / league owner would maintain authority for his/her league, they would be helped greatly manage the worth and effort they have invested into creating the league in the first place.

I am skipping over the "Race Steward" function required to evaluate incidents etc. I realise this is a large topic but it too can be tackled if that decision is taken.

Some leagues may still not succeed because the category b) Ram cheater may still cause problems, but this is something that the league admin really can now focus on, confident in the knowledge that the rest of the league members are solid players!!

Now, the open lobby has a role to play. In order to offer a player the opportunity to redeem themselves and recover their Reputation, they can if they wish, drive a few races in the an open lobby and earn their way back into the league subject to league admin permission perhaps.

Lovely idea right .... but all this starts with the developer deciding this topic is indeed a product differentiator and worthy of the time and resources to tackle it.

As ISI is a sim product at heart, unlike other racing mainstream titles. ISI and rFactor2 efforts to implement this or similar will surely be met with approval by the vast majority.

Any risk of upsetting the few should be considered just what it is and not allowed to derail the initiative.

At the end of the day, the model would clearly communicate to each player, that they are accountable for their actions and beyond that, go out and have fun.

The open lobbys will continue to have a mixture of folks but the leagues would have a more fertile opportunity to attract serious players.

Within the league itself, support to help categorise the membership base AND run uncategorised races could allow friends of different skill sets to race each other in a safe environment.

Perhaps rF2 will serve up a few surprises when it is released.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.