Refueling can't be disabled

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Lazza, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi,

On mods that try to stop refueling (including ISI, such as the FISI2012 and the Marussia) they tend to do a couple of things: first: disable pitstop strategies, and second: Set Fuel=0 in the [PITMENU]. At least some mods also set a very slow refueling rate (but hopefully not zero, for reasons I'll soon outline).

This appears to have the desired effect. In the garage you can't set a pitstop strategy, while in the car when you bring up the pit menu (either by selecting that page, or having it appear automatically when requesting a pitstop) there is no fuel entry.

However, until you press Up or Down to actually select a pitmenu item, there is no item selected. And this is where the issue is.

Despite fuel not being in the menu, if you press Left or Right to adjust the 'current line' without actually selecting a line with Up/Down, you'll adjust the fuel for the next stop. As long as you don't press Up/Down to select another line (tyre compounds, pressures, etc) you can keep going back and adjusting the fuel, even though you can't see it.

Effects, part one:
    • In a mod with a very slow fuel rate, you can add fuel at your pitstop but it will add quite a lot of time.
    • In a mod that hasn't bothered lowering the fill rate (refueling is 'disabled', after all) there is the possibility to add a useful amount of fuel in a competitively short time. This could be used to cheat.
    • If the mod has the fuel rate set to 0.0 in an effort to disable refueling, the pitstop time will be shown as -2^31 and will never end (well, I guess it would after that many seconds... I didn't test it fully, gave up after 20 seconds which is just shy of that target figure)

Effects, part two:
    Should you accidentally select to add fuel (in the hidden pitmenu item), then use Up/Down to move to whatever you were actually trying to adjust, you now have an actual visible line selected. You can never go back to the invisible fuel item and adjust it. If you managed to select "+5L" that will now be used for your stop... and each stop after that. And in many mods (including the ISI ones already mentioned) that means sitting for a number of seconds waiting for a relatively small amount of fuel you didn't even want. At every stop.

Obviously we really need a simple refuelling = 0 or 1 option somewhere, but in the meantime this is a bug. And possibly a cheat depending on the mod.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No change in build 1080. With the fuel disabled in Pitmenu the (invisible) fuel is still the selected item when you bring up the pitmenu page in the car, and you can adjust the fuel setting until you select another line.

3. osiris32

osiris32 Registered

Agreed this is a huge issue.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Its been known internally.
    Lets hope they can fix it soon.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thanks for letting us know :)

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Quite disappointing that this was reported 22 months ago, and still not been fixed. The point in bold specifically happened to my friend in FSR when he was on for a podium. Stuck in pits, can't do anything about it, race over.

View attachment 20008

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I understand that it is the vehicle which needs to be fixed. The race admin should have tested this and either modify the value in the hdv or prevent drivers from selecting refueling.

Your mate missed the podium because he didnt prepare the race conveniently. Defining strategy in the setup with several stops and 0 fuel to add would have solved his issue. I am not sure of the behaviour if in the json you have selected that the amount of fuel is the total amount of liters to reach instead of the amount of liters to add.

In our F1 league we haven't had any issues of this type in three years using the non refueling rule.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Eusko, I'm afraid you've missed the point a bit. But I'm glad you haven't accidentally changed the hidden fuel menu option, because it does suck.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

One thing that is confusing is why the expected time gets negative. I wonder if it is because the hidden fuel setting being changed and after selecting 0 in the strategy the program tries to remove the fuel or because the 0.0 refueling rate is considered negative by the game. That's why I commented it.

Is the behaviour of getting stuck in the box independent from the hidden fuel setting? I simply wonder.

As you say I might have missed the point since the OP is not specifying if the bug is from the game or something to be fixed in the vehicle.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not really negative, it's infinity caught by the game. The fuel rate is 0, so working out the time to fuel is a division by zero. Negative 'infinity' (2^32 in a 4 byte value) is the applied value rather than crashing with an error.

The point of the thread is that 'disabling' refuelling doesn't stop you changing the fuel setting from the in-car pit menu, because the fuel setting is still selected (though hidden) until you move to a different item.

11. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's a game bug. Nothing you can do with the mod to prevent it. Refuelling is disabled.

Maybe you should read Lazza's initial post properly before commenting.

12. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Exactly. He hasn't had it either in 4 years until 2 weeks ago, by pressing left instead of down first by mistake. No sane person can think that the resulting bug is fair punishment.

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Yeah, so you don't have any idea that you even changed anything accidentally because there is no visual representation of it in the pit menu.

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Understood now.

As it is claimed, such a bug needs to be fixed. Two much time since it was reported already. If this section is not properly adressed by devs it makes no sense.

Can ISI confirm if this bug is in the to-do-list?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's confirmed by a tester above. (without a timeline, obviously, but at least if it's known...)

16. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Well, we do appreciate bug reports, and they are being noted.

17. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

no car will ever start with 0 fuel! add 1l at least