Reflections, Monaco, mirrors and LED's

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by K Szczech, May 24, 2012.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Some issues I've noticed:

Upper left image - left side of the car has up-to date reflections while reflection on the right side of the car is not being updated.
    Upper right image - just loaded the track - right side of the car has no reflections.
    Lower left image - Monaco tunel messed up
    Lower right image - tunnel again - looks like ambient occlusion went bananas

[​IMG]

Also - when you look at upper left image again. Left side of car has good reflections, but you can see that barrier and road have no shadowmaps there, which causes reflection to have different, much brighter appearance than actual object.
    While car is standing in tunnel, reflection on the left side is weird - like some row of garages or something.

Second image - reflections once more:
    Upper left image - I've allready entered the tunnel, but I can still see the entrance reflected.
    Upper right image - much further down the track I still see entrance to tunnel - perhaps some kind of Z-buffering optimization issue?
    Lower left image - I can see fence reflected on left side of car, while right side of car has just sky reflection - of course I'm only saying left/right side of the CAR to point things out on the screenshot, but it's of course related to cubemap face.
    Lower right image - car is standing in shadow, but road reflected in left and right corner of bumper is not in shadow, therefore reflection seems unnatural. Again - this is lack of shadowmaps on reflection. Even low quality shadowmaps casted only on nearest objects would make big difference in car's appearance. Hopefully that feature is still to come :)

[​IMG]

Upper images - LED's are receiving shadows/lighting, but they should actually be light sources. Material / object settings need to change. Perhaps two layers - one with standard lighting and shadows for LED's turned off and the other set as emissive for leds turned on? Unless you have some other solution coming soon, like "emission maps" (animated texture - just like duffuse or specular, but this one would control emission).
    Lower images - seems like either incorrect lodin / lodout or perhaps you're using occlusion queries and bounding box/sphere does not enclose entire object?

[​IMG]

One more thing I've noticed while driving ISI FM at Palm Beach is that mirrors flicker sometimes. Just a few rogue frames sometimes when mirrors appear black. I have virtual mirrors enabled aswell and they don't flicker at all, so it's rather model / material issue that rendertarget issue.

All graphics settings to maximum. All mods updated. Running in windowed mode.
    GeForce 450GTS, 1GB, NVIDIA drivers 296.10

Problem with reflections seems to be common. You can also see it on FONismo's video as soon as car leaves turn one here - no reflection ( 0:19-0:20 on the video) :

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
  2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Yea, if you watch the reflection in the nose the whole lap, you can see that only 1/4th of the environment is black, for example the 'North' side.. it's just black, the other three 'faces' are ok.. maybe it's a simple fix?

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, it's a cubemap, so it could be something simple, like broken rendering into one of six faces.

But when I tested, I've noticed that first time I get on track in Monaco, I have no reflections on right side of the hood. I don't move the car - just press Esc and then get back in the car - now I have proper reflection on entire hood.

That's why I think it may be some bug related to recent optimizations, especially that this worked fine in previous builds.

4. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

indeed.. curious :) We'll see.. at least I'm extremely satisfied that ISI first, listened to us carefully (IMO) and secondly, pulled it of! Well, the new ISIFormula isn't polished at all yet, but it shows everyone the HUGE potential.. I know how rF1 could look like with your shaders, but at the same time I notice we are getting a lot more eye-candy 'out of the box' this time around, so I'm extremely excited about the (near) future..

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Some more issues:

Upper left - Mid Ohio road reflection in Nissan - road is dark, patches are bright.
    Upper right - road reflection exitting pitlane at Palm Beach with Nissan GTR - looks ok
    Lower left - at the end of pitlane - pit lane looks ok, but road is dark
    Lower right - a bit further - road still dark

[​IMG]

Same thing again - backstretch at Palm Beach:

[​IMG]

And a video with this and other issues:
    1. Megane at Mills - Hood camera and shadow issues
    2. Megane at Mills - zooming in and out - shadow issues

I had these issues everywhere in previous build, They were especially annoying while driving around Monaco. Since build 85 I can drive around Monaco and have no problems with shadows. Then, while watching a replays at Mid Ohio and Mills, I've noticed this issue is still here

3. Nissan GTR @ Monaco - there is a gap in reflection, and road reflection is missing.
    4. Nissan GTR @ Monaco - start/finish straight reflected in rear bumper - road is missing
    5. Nissan GTR @ Monaco - boats and other objects reflected - road is missing
    6. Nissan GTR @ Palm Beach - dark road reflection issue shown on screens above - you can also see how road goes gradually dark when entering backstretch

I've noticed the same problem with road reflection on Megane @ Mills. Sometimes you can see that part of the road in reflection is normal and next sector is dark (with sharp edge), while at Palm Beach transition can be smooth (but does not depend on car or camera angle - just some parts of the road are dark and some normal).

And one more video:

1. Previously mentioned ambient occlusion maps acting weird in Monaco ( +some other texturing issues )
    2 and 3 - billboard frustum culling issue is still here - looks like only pivot point is tested instead of entire bounding box / sphere :)

I think that's all for now. Haven't noticed anything else wrong with build 85 except for things allready mentioned in other threads.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012