Reference manuals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jorgen, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

I'd love to see some official ISI rF2 reference guides that describe *all* available physics parameters, their attributes, their units of measurement, what they affect, etc. Maybe dedicate a section of this forum and a section on the rFactor.net web site for them? Those sections would also host community contributed guides for mod and track creation, developer tools etc. All in one place, so everyone knows where to find it. :)

2. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

+1
    and a GUI based editor for all those parameters, maybe with a interactive screen displaying the changes effect on drivetrain and such.

3. guod

guod Registered

I discovered the /restartwarmup admin command the other day and it was like an early Christmas present. It has evidently been around for a long time, but I'd missed it in every list I've seen of MP admin commands.

Has anyone ever gone through line-by-line and explained what each .PLR line means? Most we know but some I've never seen a good explanation what its for, how it works, and if it should used or not.

How about each line in the multiplayer.ini?

Maybe when rFactor 2 arrives, some of us could get an ISI staffer to work on a community project of empirical information.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is a full list of commands in the readme (readme.chm in the rFactor folder), file is dated 26th Jun 2007. Sometimes I think people miss things because they rely on various forums or 'local experts', when a lot of answers can be found or worked out pretty quickly from the files themselves.

Of course there are unknowns, but overall it's a pretty small portion. The 'documentation' that's present in the various files came fairly late I believe, ostensibly because up to that point they were concentrating more on improving/fixing the game than on documenting what they'd done. Makes the Panoz a pretty good reference, since it was a late release.

Seems likely the initial release of rF2 will be similarly light on explanation, and since some things could change over time it might just be a prudent move on their behalf.

5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Probably our best bet here is to setup a proper wiki and try to collect that information ourselves.