Rear suspension damage only affecting front suspension

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Matheus Machado, May 19, 2020.

1. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado Registered

After having multiple light contacts in yesterday's race in the GT series, I went to have a look to see how much the suspension geometry was affected by the touches. Despite thinking that a small rub shouldn't offset the steering wheel by 7° and change 0.5° in toe angle, I was more intrigued that despite having a perfectly fine right side of the car it was instantly affected by a left front contact. Then, two contacts at both rear corners of the car reduced the steering offset slightly.

Below are toe angles (values greyed out so I won't give out what I use, all you need to know is that each rectangle at front is 1° and at the rear is 0.05°), when compared to race 1 where the car was fine. Channels are gated to only include data when car is on a straight, with negligible steering angle and car rotation.
    First from the first lap of the race with front left contact in the middle of the lap.

upload_2020-5-19_7-32-10.png

Then when the car had contact at both rear corners in the next lap.
    upload_2020-5-19_7-34-15.png

Then When it had a small touch in the right rear. You can just notice a small difference in the steering wheel offset, and an even smaller one in FR toe angles. Camber angle had a 0.2 degree positive change as well.
    upload_2020-5-19_7-40-34.png
    Tire lateral patch speeds showed the same behaviour.

Damage indicator was dark blue in all cases. I have experienced even worse toe changes with light blue, so I don't think it is reliable to take any conclusions from it, but the info is there.

Also, not sure if this should fit under bug report or technical, so sorry in advance if it is on the wrong topic.

Daniele Vidimari likes this.