Realroad still excellerated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peterchen, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

At some point both lines would be saturated.

2. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

looool

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't worry him about must be a midlife crisis.

I mean these days you get banned for saying " spolied brats" wtf ????

Like get real ?

lol

4. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Excellent questions Spinelli, that cleared it for me.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

:confused:

Sorry, but Spinelli's been here for years and the way the realroad works has been obvious for years; largely because the easiest way to work out the answer to those questions is to run some laps with accelerated realroad and we were forced to do that for ages.

When you put realroad on a track with fewer polys across the track surface (rF1-style) you can see the realroad is more coarse, because each poly is basically assigned an amount of rubber. So the polys are all independent... it's not like a 'line' is defined around the track and that moves as cars use different parts of the track. On some poor conversions the polys can, in places, stretch all the way across the track, and you can see the rubber 'line' is basically the full track width at that point (which is pretty ugly, by the way). So that immediately answers A and B, especially when you actually try driving off the normal racing line (again, with accelerated realroad, as we had for a long time...) and find the rubber is only building up when you're driving.

As for C, if you make the entire driveable surface realroad compatible you can actually get a framerate loss (depends how 'busy' the track surrounds are), and you have to also supply additional textures so it has some 'rubber' to draw. You can easily and quickly make any driveable surface gain rubber but without added textures it looks very unrealistic. Putting realroad in where it's not needed is more of a drain on resources, and will take longer to update the whole track when playing a replay or joining a server.

I find myself echoing Tim's question in my head... have you actually played the game at all? Why are such basic questions that took (past tense... most of us did this 2 years ago) a small amount of testing and some logical thinking to find the answers to apparently only resolved now with a dev confirming them? It shouldn't be that hard.

One detail I'm not sure of is whether each poly is given just a rubber amount and then they are blended into each other (physically and graphically), or the rubber on each poly also has a positional weighting. The latter would seem to not add too much in the way of computational demand but would probably require three times as much data. But, if a track is developed with realroad in mind it probably wouldn't make much difference anyway (the polys would be small enough that weighting wouldn't make it much more accurate).

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Great, thanks Luc! :)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

There are lots of folks who use this forum and don't play rF2. There is at least two in this thread. :p

8. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Lets say the names to not raise suspicious on inocent people. Spinelli and Durge. I never saw they online

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

durge probably has a million kms in the F3s but lets just let this thread die a peaceful death now. :)

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I just like asking detailed questions especially about some if the inner workings, come on guys, they were just questions. And I'm online around 2 or 3 times a week, 75% of the time in Durge's fantastic 60s F3 server :). I, unfortunately, usually play at probably the very slowest time of the day - around 12AM-5AM PST and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing your name quite often, Luis, although it could just be in my head.

Anyways, no hard feelings guys :)

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm using "Normal", in the hope it means Normal.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm using x3 at the moment, because it's fun and because it suits me. To each his own. :)

13. speed1

speed1 Banned

True that and the reason for why the feature is there i think, but i can understand that it can be confusing sometimes, altough it should be clear to everybody what a multiplicator does when it is set.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sure thing, the more options the more freedom to tune the sim to your liking, along with a whole bunch of confusion and questions. :D

15. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Dude, 75 is the percentage of time i have no clue about what i´m talking here. Give me a discount :)

16. stonec

stonec Registered

0.5x = 0.5*real, Normal = same as real, 5x = 5*real, etc. Not that difficult :)

17. speed1

speed1 Banned

Not really, but i have to defend people putting it into question, because, what is real, and is the starting base really real. :)

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm asking myself what they would do if they would live in germany and had to deal with the face to face mentality, would they kill everybody.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I agree it can look overwhelming, but in cockpit you do not see it that way , reflection lightens it on straights somewhat and you can still distinguish braking areas easily, even on heaviest rubberized track.

Unrealistic visually, but physically when you saturate a track ( from my experience at least ) your lap times start to increase ever slightly.

I think a green track is more unrealistic then heavy rubber.

"Black Gold" ( optimum real road ) I can still spin a F3 Eve no problems !

In AC with Optimum rubber I can drive Nords GT one handed it is so easy.

What is more realistic ? :)

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes DD, there you mentioned it: it might be a miscorrelation between physical and optical.
    But on the other hand: when the track is full saturated it is full black (regards of the RR-texture)!
    Or is there a noticable rubber build-up beyond this optical point of this "blackishness"?
    I generaly don´t use this much rubber, so I´ve never tested the borders of saturation out yet....