Realroad shader application to alternate objects

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Drathuu, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I have a perfectly working and fantastic looking realroad on my Highlands track. I had an alternate texture and shader on my pit lane parking area, but want to apply the realroad shader so the reflections and wet effect look correct.

I have copied the Realroad material onto the material of the track object (i checked silverstone for example) and you appear to be able to apply it hapily to other objects that are not racesurface_ objects.

So it looks great in 3dSimed3.. matches perfectly, but once i load it into Devmod.. the road looks normal (pitlane itself is actually a realroad racesurface_.... But the pitlane parking area looks as if its fully wet... where it shouldnt.

Am i missing something ? Anyone have any ideas what possibly is incorrect ?

See Video - 1.5 mins

2. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

please note: the pit parking object has _WET suffix in material name, so thats not it..

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If ISI updated track technology pdf, these threads would end.

4. Butters

Butters Registered

Talk about a broken record SPASKIS. If you have nothing to contribute then why do you bother posting? Why don't you start your own thread and then whenever you need to add an uninformative post you can put it in your own special thread with all of your other uninformative posts.

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

True..
    More Work Less complaints

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Mario, Butters. Do what you want with your time. I'll keep on doing what I want with mine. If you dont like my posts DO NOT READ them. I don't need your intelligent advises. They don't help me at all. With people like you ISI will never change its attitude about customers.

7. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Thanks guys :) Appreciate the help :)

Ive searched the forums, maybe im keyword searching for it incorrectly. (read 15+ threads similar, but all questions about real road)..
    Ive checked the setup on silverstone for the offtrack areas.. they dont use racesurface- objects, just the shader, its identical otherwise (unless its some uvmapping issue).

I might just put the beta out there for people to drive in the interim.

8. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

as far as i know everything that has realroad applied, that object has to have racesurface_ at the start of each object

and thats what i do to.

do you have the object marked as reflected? ie Reflect=True if it is remove it, also in the vid the reflection mapper channel is marked as false not true on

help.. lol thats exactly what this game has done to the community... not even 1 word of help from any1 previously posting..
    what a joke

2 out of 3 of these guys could help you in a second. got time to bitch but not help what the???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  9. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Richo, The silverstone track sample doesnt have the "racesurface_" prefix on the object filename.. BUT.. I do have reflect=TRUE... i will disable it and try that..

.. update -- Changing reflect to false did nothing (my understanding is that just means it will reflect show on other objects made to reflect things (ie car body sides etc)

So the realroad "racesurface_" objects are fine :-(.. but the other standard objects arent.. Im wondering if its got to do with UV mapping - as the track was an import originally (just built terrain in btb) for speed.. the sides likely have some standard mapping (Im learning about this stuff)... if so im going to have to export it and add them... Note next track will be end to end 3dstudio but im going to have to learn that too.

View attachment 13615

The silverstone sample below.. (Note it isnt a racesurface_ object

.scn -
    Instance=Terrain_Outer05
    {
    MeshFile=Terrain_Outer05.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False
    }

Object and Material.
    View attachment 13616

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  10. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Dumped it into 3ds.. defaults as per below.
    I can add a uv modifier to it and export it out (yes ill have to install the tools) .. more learning :).. But thats assuming my limited (Read very little) knowledge and speculation - that this maybe contributing.. (some default mapping on the original object).

But im not 100% convinced thats the problem just throwing thoughts out there.

View attachment 13617

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Strange...

in indianapolis is the same. Use real road shader but don't have "racesurface_" prefix.

12. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Good move. You are in ISI forums not 3dsimed forums.

13. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

can you quote the lines from your own SCN please?

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am not sure but.. are you using the problematic realroad material also in objects which are not racesurface (terrain outer) and have regular material as well?

I understand that racesurface objects should only have real road (or road 2 diffuse) materials and these should only be contained in those objects. The racesurface objects need to be set to deformable=true. I am not sure if all this still required.

15. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

From my scene file

Instance=ta271
    {
    MeshFile=ta271.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=True
    }

Same as the silverstone version - Except that you can drive on it.
    (note on SILVERSTONE - you will also find realroad shader applied to cement edges on the track, steps in the pit lane and other areas where they want weather changes (rain to show up).. All of these are _not_ racesurface_ objects.. Most are coded with HaTTarget=False, but i doubt it is that, as thats just the flag to calculate drivable surfaces (generate the hat file) - as i understand it.

The example above from silverstone also doesnt have deformable. and ideally you wouldnt want to make everything you want to go wet when weather changes as a race_surface as the ammount of data to pump between clients would be huge.

The ISI tracks apply the RR shader to non racesurface objects ..

To Spaskis point.. in ta271 has no other material in the object... But i have other objects that do, but then so do the ISI tracks..(Image above has realroad shader and grass shader applied on the one object, so im pretty sure that isnt it either. Ill keep experimenting.

16. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Exactly.... you can use the shader on other objects that arent realroad.. But when i do.. it just stays looking wet. (where-as) the isi tracks dont.

17. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Technically, you can use the Real Road Shader on a non-RaceSurface object, but it will not have any of the dynamic features though (groove, marbles, wet/dry transitions).
    It would show up as being totally wet all the time, unless you manually set the wetness by changing the Vertex Alpha value: first, detach the infield roads to a separate element, and then set the Vertex Alpha to 0 to make it look dry.

Remember, this piece of Real Road would be static.

18. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Ok Luc, thanks that would explain it then.. So where you use it the track doesnt change wetness..( Ok, i was assuming (hoping) it would (given some places you have used it) - but definately already understood that obviously marbles and racegroove etc wouldnt show

I guess where you use it on your tracks i have never paid attention if it transitions as mostly these areas are out of sight whilst racing.

Thankyou for the clarity.. In this case i do what the wet/dry transition so i will seperate the objects and apply the racesurface_ ..

As always very helpful.

19. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

For example the reason i was thinking the wet effect might change with weather was some points where you used it - Like pit lane cement walkways next to pitlane on SS.. I never actually paid attention if it changed when it started raining though.

View attachment 13633

I did note the LHS (trackside) object is racesurface_ ... but the right side of the fence is part of the other object - but still had realroad shader applied.. I was sort of hoping the wet effect might still work - Thanks anyway, at least that means i will have to clean up my objects and seperate them appropriately.

20. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Just checked Silverstone in the Viewer, and those areas actually do become wet :) .