Reality is often disappointing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FORMULAEFAN71, Sep 29, 2020.

1. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

To not waste your time: my pc is potato so instead of doing more rf2 gt stuff I’m getting ACC only because it’s available on Xbox and doesn’t need so much time to get it working

Well well, a lil useless story here. A little while back, I see everyone going on and on about how GT3 cars are great “we need more”, “stop with this formula e garbage we want more gt3s!!:mad:”. So I decided to see what this was all about and I bought the challengers pack. And wow I was blown away. Those things were so very fun to drive, similar speed to FE but a bit more feel of power and more noob friendly due to assists. I really enjoyed the BMW m6(?) and the Audi was also great. Played a little on and off here and there due to limitations (talk about that later) Fast forward to about a month ago and when 488 gte was out and the Ferrari fanboy that I am I decided to look back in the good ol shop to see what’s up. And well, I was a bit furious at first. Let’s take a look: 29 USD for the track expansion bundle. Alright seems great, ignoring all the cars, we should get thi- oh no... I already have lemans, I can’t get this... Okay let’s look at something else ooh all the gt cars bundle let’s- oh wait I already have 5 of those. Okay formula e bundle? No I already have most fe stuff... so just the endurance bundle which I was contemplating on getting but the Ferrari fanboy that I am, I would’ve wanted 488 in the pack. So well I didn’t get that. Now we have the gt3 Ferrari. Idk if these two will come in a pack together (should be a crime if they didn’t). And now to the problem of outside factors like hardware... as anyone can see in the spoiler in my signature, well... my pc laptop/setup is an abomination:(
    Like, to make you cringe, I literally have a potato, try to get my wheel to connect to it to, my wheel which is attached to a flimsy desk probably from the 70s and then get an hdmi and plug it into the tv. So we got a potato pc which completely brakes the game every single month, and have to run low graphics and can’t really do ai as well as the input delay. The setup I can get around but the pc just makes it unplayable. So I’ve decided to get ACC. Literally the only reason I have chosen this over getting more rf2 stuff is that this game is on Xbox which albeit a year older and cheaper than my pc. Runs things fine, user friendly, don’t break every day, and isn’t a potato. Ye pc is better but unless you’re willing to spend lotta money, console is the way to go. And this decision kinda hurts: rf2 has the best handling model I’ve ever driven, and better than ACC says most, so to be deciding this purely on outside factors is annoying. This was a bit ranty and rambly with many grammatical errors so sorry idk i just thought I should say this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  2. Bidle

Bidle Registered

It's a shame, but it is what it is.
    In the end hopefully when you're driving with RF2/ACC/PC2/etc/etc.... you enjoy yourself and don't think too much about the rest. :)

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@FORMULAEFAN71

You can try these graphics settings :

Full hd, circuit/cockpit/texture details max, anisotropic X16, everything OFF, no rearview, 6 AI visible, 9 AI, only 12:00 PM, no rain, nvidia control panel (texture max quality , LOD negative bias : clamp).

If it works, you're going to have nice graphics and good performance.

Consider reflection, rain, night and low sun, shadows, visible AI and rearview as a luxury.

On the other hand, what I told you to activate will make a nice image (nvidia control panel, ultra details, anisotropic X16).

Just try it on the GP nurburgring, if it works it's okay.

You can also play in 50 hz, although it can be uncomfortable.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

This is a misconception to some extent and I think it stems from the fact that people wanting high-end gaming PC's spend thousands of dollars, but it's all for very little gain. The most popular PC gaming GPU according to Steam is GTX 1060, this is a GPU released in 2016 for around $250 and it turns out you can still play today's sims just fine with it, including rF2. Laptops are a bit different story as they sacrifice performance for portability, but if you want a stationary PC that offers 60+ FPS at 1080p and exceeds console-level performance, all you need is a $500 system.

FORMULAEFAN71 and AMillward like this.
  5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

On a 1660 and having way fewer issues than people with computers that cost twice as much

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm pretty sure we are on the cheapest moment in history to play games at 1080p60 with decent graphics.
    I don't understand that "spend a ton on PC" thing, I never understood that because it has been false for a long time.
    And the new gen of cards is pushing that even lower

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  7. FORMULAEFAN71

FORMULAEFAN71 Registered

You guys are right, I was just assuming that's how it was I'm pretty inexperienced in the whole pc realm. I just hear complaining of potato pcs and expensive hardware all over the place guess it's just satire or a minority

edit: well ain’t I a little dum dum. I completely forgot to mention, that, when watching the
    Ai race, or even using keyboard. It can run max graphics and effects even with 31 cars with only a very small stutter. Problem comes in when I plug it into my Wheel and then I have to turn everything off.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

My hardware is pretty old, but still can push RF2 with high detail to over 100 fps on a 60hz 1680x1050 res monitor 23".
    From time to time I'm impressed by what it can handle in term of AI on track or cars on screen.
    (I have a i7-4790k and a R9-280 graphic card).
    (off course night and or rain are another can of worms, but being pretty bad driver, I don't spend too much time there).

9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes and no for GPU's. While the prices of new cards is attractive on paper, market supply & demand is likely to be a significant factor for some time, unless going for used GPU's or old stock. MSRP of the new cards probably won't be relevant for long (actual street prices higher) but, we'll see how AMD's new cards compare and affect overall pricing. I'd like to get into a RTX 3070 or 3080 but, that seems like a tall order for this year.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yes and yes for GPUs. As I said 1080p60. You are on 3070+ that's another level.
    Supply and demand will get to normal levels at some point, won't take long now with these rushed vaccines. Ignoring the very unusual situation of the pandemic the situation is as I said, cheapest moment in history.

11. mechanic

mechanic Registered

I'm actually quite surprised that RF2 works so well on my wife's modest laptop (i5 7th gen and 2 gig 940MX gpu). 60fps in 1080p is possible with low graphics settings en 10 ai. It even looks quite ok, but maybe I just have low standards.