Realistic simulation. Need some help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fsuarez79, May 11, 2018.

1. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I know I'm not the only one here who tries to replicate real-life as much as possible, so when you guys jump into S397 GT3's, or the Skip Barber, URD's T5 (DTM), Postipate's F1 1979 and so on....how do you know what TC and ABS settings (Off, Low, High) and what type of shifter (paddle, sequential, h-pattern) to use in each case?

For example, I know GT3 regulations allow some sort of TC and ABS so in game I set them both in Low and use the paddle shifters.
    I know GT1's like the Maserati MC12 used a sequential shifter, tho I have no idea about TC and ABS.
    F1's in the 70's used also sequential shifters, but again no idea about TC and ABS.

I just wonder how you all approach this part of realistic simulation for all the different disciplines and racing eras we have in rF2.....if some of you have compiled some sort of list you're willing to share or know of a good website which contains such type of info, etc...

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

I don't know about other people, but I just google the info or read a book/magazine. Often a mod maker will include the information in their release notes. In the worst case, ask a question on the forum!

Sequential shifting has a much older history than many realize (motorcycles, for example, and the Lotus Queerbox). The ZF transmission in the GT40 was sequential in practice, but used an H-pattern with preselector for the gear above and below the current gear. The later '70s or early '80s F1 cars with sequential shifting used a single lever beside the steering wheel, but I don't recall them having autoblip or autoclutch.

TC and ABS didn't really appear in race cars until the '90s and was alternately allowed and banned by various rules, so you really have to study to find the correct answer.

3. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

In real life these cars usually have six to twelve levels of TC and ABS. The levels in rF2 have no relation to real life. You'll find that the "High" setting is too much, and "Medium" and "Low" are too little.

4. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

most servers allow aids no matter if the real car has tc or abs. some dont use them ever no matter what the real car has available.
    if you dont drive online and only care for it for historical accuracy, to know if the real car had them, you will have to google it or ask someone here on the forums about a specific car. lots of knowlidge here. some people here are true walking wikipedias when it comes to real life racing.

and btw, F1's did NOT have sequentil shifters in the 70's. all h-shifters back then. mid-late 80's brought first sequentials (that still required clutching), but real semiautomatic gearboxes (no need for clutch) came in the 90's, or could have been 1989 for ferrari's first implemetation of a semiautomatic gearbox in F1 car, im not sure if i remember this correctly.

Generally, if the car is pre -86 i'd say go with h-shifter and clutch if you have them, if post -86 openwheeler forget about the h-shifter, just shift with sequential stick or paddles and lift on upshifts, and blip on down shifts. if on pre mid 90's tintop car, usually clutch was required no matter the shifter. if the car is post 90's F1 or GT1 all you have to do is shift away and drive. if post 90's GT2 or lower GT series blip and lift. if post 2000's GT or Formula car shift away as you like.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Emery likes this.
  5. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Also keep in mind that throughout the history of these aids many teams have used them when they weren't supposed to.

6. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Ok thanks guys. That's what I've been doing, googling stuff or watching onboard videos but especially stuff on ABS and TC is hard to find in some cases. Was hoping there was some sort of list already out somewhere.

I'll go with Kelju's suggestions here overall based on the years of production.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

With the TC and ABS I prefer them off . Our league has the server set for only Low ABS and TC plus Auto Clutch because not everyone has a clutch pedal.
    Lately there have been times after flat spotting tyres while using a direct drive wheel that the voice starts in the head "turn it on, turn it on, turn it on". :mad:

As for controls, I find most times it just doesn't feel right, for example, to jump in a car from Aussie Legends and use paddles.
    Nup, load up the "H" controller and it's 4 on the floor, heel 'n toe heaven. Even though the rF clutch isn't needed after you're off the line, it's just feels right. :cool:
    GT3 time, "paddle" controller gets loaded and left foot braking with paddle gears is the go.
    If it feels right to you ;):cool:

8. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Does anyone know if there are changes on the way regarding this? If you will be able to select factory settings instead of having to guess or google?

9. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

They've said nothing about it. So no, it's not going to change in the foreseeable future.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks, Kelju, F1 of that period is definitely one of my weak areas.

11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

oh i'm not one of those walking wikipedias here either mate ;)
    funny thing happened not so long ago.. i argued that celica gto 86 had h-shifter after ari (antero) said that it was sequential.
    if you have ever looked at the shifter in the cockpit you can imagine what ari's reply to that was...Kelju you idiot! look at the floor of the car!

bwana likes this.
  12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

That celica gto btw has to be one of my fave mods.

I watched an onboard video of F1 1979 and swore the guy was using sequential, then I read you saying sequentials didn't come until mid-late 80's so I watched the video again, and fair enough I could clearly see him now doing the arm movements of an h-pattern.

13. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

i know chapman and hewland were both viciously building protos of sequental gearboxes in late 70's.
    i remember reading somewhere that chapman made his first "sequental" in 54 that was horrible. queerbox it was called. he never let go of the dream of 2 pedal driving. it he i think is the father of it. hewland was after fastest possible gearbox. same goal, different principal.
    so it might be totally possible of 1 existing before 86, just saying. but it wasn't the norn for sure.

fsuarez79 likes this.