Realistic seat position (height + tilt)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dady Cairo, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Hello,
    maybe we had that ,but i don't get it ..For RF2.

From the glorious post here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/realistic-seat-position-height-tilt.13946/

I tryed to do the same as discribed in that post and it does wonders in laptime and immersion for me.
    My Fov is a clear 37 degree sitting 90 cm in front of the monitor..But to match the wheel/ driver arms proportional to what i see on my 49 inch/zoll monitor,i do not have the same feeling of immersion as in RaceRoom.With seat up/down-forward and back and the Shift key FOV up/ down,i never knew if it is correct.
    When i reset the cockpit - view to 0/zero for each adjustment,how should i start?
    Any "hints/tips" welcome...
    DC

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

You're assuming that the wheel/driver arms are actually modeled to the size of your own. Why not turn off the wheel & hands? After all, the on-screen ones just duplicate what you already have.

The other thing I notice is that if you can sit 10cm closer to the screen then you could increase your FOV to 45 degrees... seems a pity to have that huge screen and be using a FOV that's close to what many people use for their 27" monitors.

Okay, enough of my philosophy on hands & screen positioning and let's see what we can do for helping your viewpoint. First off, are you sitting the same way someone in the car sits? GT seating position for GT cars, F1 seating position for F1 cars, Lotus position for old sports racers, etc.

Next step: Is your rig's steering wheel centered with the steering shaft on-screen? If not, then first preference is to line them up physically before using any rF2 seat movement keys(*). I also ignore the steering wheel diameter unless you know you have the exact same steering wheel diameter as the car you're driving. If you do have the same steering wheel diameter, then use the seat movement keys to move backwards/forwards until they match. And finally, that just leaves the tilt adjustment, which should be pretty minor.

(*) It is for this reason that my triple monitors are on a table with electric height adjustment. Every car model is likely going to have a different eyepoint and the modeler might interpret the position differently than you.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Any chance of some pictures, please?

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Bought this frame https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDC11PJ and merely added a wood top. The up/down control has 4 memory positions, so three are used for cars and the 4th is used for normal desk work. My sim rig with steering wheel slides underneath the table and the top is cut so it fits around the steering wheel on the rig.

Everything's too messy for a pic, LOL, but one day... Next step in the rig's evolution is a fully adjustable seat. I was trying to design one using electric car jacks (cheap & powerful!), but finally realized that the frame from an electric recliner would suit my needs better, so now I'm on the hunt for a cheap second-hand chair in the $50-100 range so I can gut it and top it with a custom seat.

ADSTA and Lazza like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I turn the steering wheel off unless the in-game wheel has important information, then I have it fixed and pretend it's not a wheel.

Having no wheel/arms means I can ignore discrepancies across different cars and generally just use tilt to get the horizon at my eye level. I'm on triple 27s so I'm liable to miss some dash info but I care more about the track.

I agree with Emery about your screen distance, if you can get closer it will help immersion a lot with realistic FOV. My 65cm is on the close side (especially for our apparently ageing rF2 userbase) but 75 should be quite comfortable and will help with horizontal FOV.

Emery likes this.
  6. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

I made a TV - Stand by myself,maybe it is 10 cm to high for driving.But there is not much space left (it's the living room).I always must put the wheelbase down,otherwiese i can't watch TV.From the the End of the Wheelbase to the Monitor is 12 cm,can't go nearer to it because of technical circumstances.See my pics,please.
    Edit:
    I reworked it a bit to gain some centimeters-now i have 80 cm from my eyes to the center of the screen!Gives a FOV of 42 Degree.

Attached Files:

7. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I thought 90 cm in front of a 32 inch screen was around 25 FOV and not 37? How big is your screen? Must be larger right?

8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

49 inch!

9. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Hey ho, that's my post in the sector3 forum, thanks for reposting xD

you can ignore what I was saying about ''move the seat back until it matches the ingame steering wheel'' that's pretty much wrong (I have to update that post).

Instead move the seatposition and height to 0 (that should be the eyeposition of the driver in rF2, but I'm not 100% sure about that).
    And then adjust the pitch until it matches the top middle part of the ingame steering wheel, maybe adjust a little bit the height in combination if you have to look too far up or down.

for FOV calcutlation use this right here : Modern FOV Calculator

Cheers :)

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Good man!

Yes, I see the limitations. If you can swap out the TV base for a VESA mounting custom mount onto the table, you could lower the TV some and get the wheel those last few cm closer.

An alternative to lowering the screen, is there some way you could raise the wheel (and seat/pedals if desired), like build a small platform?

11. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

@Emery
    The Pedals are pushed against the wall,so there is the end/limit.Finito in that case...
    The damned Sony TV has a standing,wich is about 5 cm high and a width of 10 cm,wich i can't change.
    Sometimes i wish ,i were a monkey,so i can sit better in the leather chair...

12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

@HomieFFM
    Yes,the Modern FOV Calculator is much easier to use than the Mr.Pix one.
    Thanx for the link.
    I broke my mind today by following your instructions in the RaceRoom thread to find a better solution as i have,but now i have headaches:confused:.
    Still not realy happy with the seat position in RaceRoom.
    Seat/View - adjustment:

1. Move the seat back until you see the virtual drivers neck
    View attachment 18760

2. Move forward to the edge of the throat (brutal stuff)
    View attachment 18761

3. Now move just a tiny bit forward and a little bit upwards (imagine you want to reach the eyes)
    stay there and begin to use the ''Cockpit perspective shift up'' button
    View attachment 18762

4. Stop when your steeringwheel is in line with the virtual one
    View attachment 18763
    (Depending on the size of your steering wheel and the virtual steering wheel there can be a difference
    you have to keep in account!)

5. Now you can adjust in small steps the distance a little bit! (not too much - stay in virtual headrange!)

Point 1 and 2 confused me...
    Anyway,big thanx to all.:)

HomieFFM likes this.
  13. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

You can ignore that with the ''move the seat position back and stuff'', I have updated the post for you, take a look again, it's much more easy now :)

In Raceroom: map the Cockpit Perspective Shift Reset - Button
    For rF2: set the view to 0 (height , distance , pitch)

then everything like in the updated post ;)

I'm just not 100% sure if you end up at the driver eyeposition in rF2 when you set everything to 0, but it should be like that.