Real Head Motion Plugin 0.1beta

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by magicfr, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jumi2

jumi2 Registered

Thanks mate now i understand it :) That clears it up. Awesome, sounds like you have a great idea with this plugin.

2. kmw

kmw Registered

Magicfr, great plugin, works well for me, really gives a good sense of reality to the driving thanks :)

3. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Registered

Thank you for this excellent plugin!

I have been using similar plugins for years in iRacing, LFS, (and it is even there in GTR2) and they are such a great enhancement for a sim.

Maybe finally sim developers see the importance of car movement. Not only for immersion but also for track awareness. Some crazy offcambers I just saw now for the first time at Spa! (after Les Combes...)

But hey I guess sim developers don't race much themselves, coding all the time and such ;)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I read you are still working on it to make it even better, please consider these 2 suggestions:

- would it be possible to adjust the rate of return to neutral position? I mean when on a steep banking your view returns to level with the car, not with the horizon. The RollMin and -max would be enough to adjust the limit.

- When watching a F1 driver brake, you see him 'sink down' in the cockpit (and rise when accelerating). It would be another step towards realism if that could be done!
    See this vid here for what I mean:

Thanks again, you made driving at Spa in the sixties twice as good :cool:

4. Sentri

Sentri Registered

I only seem to get the spinning in the free cam (when you hit U) using build number 4. It goes away when you toggle free cam on and off a few times. In the cockpit view I never experienced any spinning motion at all with any of the builds. Looking forward to the next update with G force simulation.

5. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Thanks Guys,
    I'll try tonight the free cam bug. I hope I can detect when I'm in free cam and stop the Update.
    For now, you can disable HWplugIn with the G key.
    Cheers,
    Seb

6. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

How are you coding the plug in?
    Can you point me to tutorials/examples for how to create a plugin?
    I've heard of a example.cpp for rFactor2 but cannot find it :(

Thanks.

7. magicfr

magicfr Registered

8. magicfr

magicfr Registered

- It's on my list, having 2 different factors for when the pitch/roll increasing and when it is decreasing.
    - Also on my list, if you read this thread I already talk about adding G-forces/Collision forces ;)

9. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Registered

I see you have everything under control :eek:
    Looking forward to it!

10. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Evening Guys,

Little Updates :

1) The problem with the Free Cam, I Have the same problem, the camera pitch/roll by itself in Free cam, disabling HWPLugin with G key didn't helped. So still an issue to solve

2) New Feature ( Velo will be happy ;) ) => Factor/Speed for neutral position. Now in INI File you can set a different Factor/Speed for the head, when the car is pitching away from the head, or when the head is pitching to Neutral. And same for Roll.

By default I set the Factor/Speed for Neutral to be 5 time higher, feel free to test other value/tunning and share it ;)

Remember, you don't have to reboot rFactor2, the INI file is read everytime you go to the track when you hit the button "Race", so you can edit the file with ALT-TAB ;)

So it's Zip Archive version 5 on my website.

Next update will be for the G force, so not until Saturday/Sunday, because I have much things to implement.

In the mean time, If I found the problem with the freecam, I'll update the version.

Cheers,
    Seb

11. Krisech

Krisech Registered

Really like the plugin thanks. It has only caused me 1 unusual "problem" as now for some reason, the force feedback on my wheel only turns "on" when I've exited pit lane... wierd

12. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Registered

Yeah I'm happy :D
    It is an improvement and it works well, very good to fine tune the movement.

And this is probably on your list haha .., but the neutral speed is a delay and the view will get back to neutral after all. It will flatten a long banked curve. Can you make it so to keep the view level with the horizon, instead of the car? That works very well.

edit:
    settings after some testing with the trainer

PitchFactor = 0.005
    PitchFactorNeutral = 0.002
    RollFactor = 0.01
    RollFactorNeutral = 0.004
    PitchDeltaFactor = -0.2
    RollDeltaFactor = -0.2
    PitchMin = -2.0
    PitchMax = 1.0
    RollMin = -15.0
    RollMax = 15.0

---------

Krisech,
    maybe something completely different but is your steer assist on? I hit that key once by accident and was spending hours to fix that strange steering :p One symptom was the FFB coming on at pit exit...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  13. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I don't understand what you mean.
    That's not the idea, but if you put the Factor and FactorNeutral to 0, the head will always stay horizontal.
    In reality you can't keep your head horizontal, your inner ear and brain try to stabilize your view. So if you start horizontal, it will try to keep it horizontal, that's what my plugin do. But if you climb a long uphill, your head don't stay horizontal, or you will face the dashboard for long time, it will face the road after some time ( between 0.5 and 2s of the persons). That's what my plugin is doing too. And in the configuration file you can control at what speed those are happening.

So you allow to move the head only 2° down and 1° up ;)
    Well, you know, the ini file is there so everybody can find the parameters for his personal taste :p

14. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I don't touch the forcefeedback stuff at all. Are you using other plugin?

15. bleco

bleco Registered

Great plugin!, thx for sharing!

Bleco

16. Krisech

Krisech Registered

Well how stupid do I feel. The kids must have activated teh "auto pit lane" somehow.

Works perfectly now

17. Morris65

Morris65 Registered

My English is bad here is a translation from google:
    "Bravo frenchi it's fabulous. It was really a better understanding of the relief road. One approaches the real. PLungins great to see share by ISI will integrate into the game thanks.
    Thank you also to ISI for the following 2 rFactor FFB which is great. I am confident that in six months the game is the final version at the top.

En français:
    Bravo le frenchi c'est fabuleux. On a vraiment une meilleur apprehension du relief de la route. On s'approche du réel. PLungins génial à partager voir à intgrer par ISI dans le jeu. Merci.
    Merci aussi à ISI pour cette suite 2 de Rfactor dont le FFB est génial. J'ai confiance pour que dans 6 mois le jeu en version final soit au top.

18. Velo Wringer

Velo Wringer Registered

Sorry, I will try again - I am not very good at writing, not even in my own language :p

>>> FIRST: I want to make clear I like your plugin very much and hope to help perfecting it!

When the car drives on a banked road, it rotates a few degrees. After a while the car returns to neutral (rotation back to zero)
    But the car is STILL on that banked road, which now appears flat. Or think of driving on an oval track, at first you see the steepness of the banking but after a while it appears flat.

I tried to put the Factor and FactorNeutral to 0 but then you lose movement of the car and the track information.
    Also the car would not return to zero, it would stay at an angle all the time.

What I was trying to say, keeping the view level with the horizon would solve that and the car would still follow the road surface as you do now. I just wondered if it was possible to make a switch in the ini file for that.

So rightly as you say, .ini file is very good for everybody's taste! I have seen endless discussions and ini files are very necessary.

... and I hate pitch haha ;)
    It has to do with my setup - 3screen, wheel in front and low FOV, so I don't want too much movement. Rotation is ok, but too much pitch and I don't see the road anymore...
    Again, bless you for that ini :)

19. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Hi Velo,
    The way you think is disturbing =>
    No it's not, the car stay on the banked road ( roll ), and it's the head that aligned with the car after a while ( controlled with the RollFactorNeutral.

Yes, it appears flat after a while, like in reality, after a while you, the driver don't keep is head lean to the right. I was passenger at las vegas on a Nascar and it did exactly like this. When starting to drive on the bank my head compensate, but after short time ( less than 1 second ), your head is aligned with the car, and the track apperas flat. It's done instinctivly by your body.

again, it's not the car that return to zero, but the head that tend to align on the car, it's very important to understand that, because if you think the other way it's more complicated to understand what happens in my plug :)

Really, if you set Factor and FactorNeutral to 0 for pitch, the head will not try to align on the car, and so it will stay horizontal.
    If it's not what you want, then explain me precisely what you mean by "level with horizon" because for me "level for horizon" = horizontal ;)

Man I have 3 screen, 30° vertical fov and no problem.

But all the work of my plug is to reduce/filter the movement, of the head compare to the track.
    Now if you mean the movment of the cockpit on the screen, Man you can't have both.
    1) Your head is smooth with the track and so you the car jumping on hole/bump
    2) Your head is smooth with the CAR and so you see the Track jumping on hole/bump

1) = my plug
    2) = original rf2 ;)

I'm really trying hard to understand your point Velo, if I can modify my plug with 1h code to add an option, and you please with this option I don't see any thing why I would not do it :) but I don't understand what you want ;)

20. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Velo, maybe you want to be the head to be horizontal WITH the CAR ?
    If so ,it's the opposite than 0, set a higher value so the head will aligned more quickly with the car.