Real F1 2016 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Dec 11, 2015.

1. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Indonesian government offered Manor 15 million euro if they let their Indonesian driver race. Its starting to be a bit too ridiculous how nobody is hiding how to get into f1 anymore.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Just learned a new interesting fact, according to Nico Rosberg the drivers helmets cost between 10 000- 15 000 british pounds :-D

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

2 weeks for the new season guise!!

I have no idea if I should be exited or not, not that up to date with the latest gossip apart from the new qualifying system that has been changed 3 times now but seem to come in effect in Melbourne now.
    Times seem closer but of course no1 is showing their true form yet.

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well from what ive read and seen the differences between 2015 and 2016 excitement wise will be minimal, it will be probably even more boring. Everybody is already kinda betting on 2017 where the cars are apparently supposed to become loads faster (but will probably provide even worse racing cuz they will have more downforce = dirty air) so nothing that would indicate any form of imporvement

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

>Spoilers ahead<

So, opinions on the new Qualifying system? or maybe too early too tell?

I think it has potential, more action on track=better, obviously teams are adapting and a more slick and smart way of attacking this will be eminent.
    Its not just slowest car/out, it also seems to be an elimination game where a good placed lap in a timeframe can eliminate others like Verstappen did, he basically killed two drivers still eligible for times by doing his fastest lap in the right moment. Can get exiting in the future I reckon.

Q3 was disappointing and they might need to fix that, maybe allow peeps to finish when they on a fast lap and clock runs out.
    But knowing how smart these teams are and how sneaky they can get, gonna be worth watching me thinks.

And just a bit of personal pride, Verstappen 5th, bloody hell man :)))
    Ferrari got their power increased 30% with the new engine but Toro Rosso got a massive 80% increase by using the old Ferrari engine. gonna be a good season for the cheeseheads :)

6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

People dont seem to like it and neither the drivers or teams. I dont think it will hang around

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The new format has tons of potential, it just needs some tweaking, especially for Q3.

The current outcry and demand of immediately reverting to the old format seems very silly to me. ;)
    People are very quick to conveniently forget the countless dull qualifying sessions the old format brought us in recent years.
    With some tweaks, this new format could end up becoming edge of the seat material, unlike what the old format produced a lot of the time.

It'd be a shame to kill off this new qualy format before it even really gets a proper chance, although that is probably what's going to happen.

I'm also stoked to see Toro Rosso that far up the grid, seems like a genuinely fast car.
    Excited to see what the race brings for them.

I'll be watching out for Magnussen, to see if he can slip by Palmer at the start of the race.
    I'm sure he can. ;)

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For sure he will, Palmer will just be focussing on getting off the grid at all :)

I'm already sorry for Rosberg, seems he is starting off where he left 2015, under pressure, frustrated, wanting too much.
    Or maybe that's just reading into it too much but it didn't look too tidy to me.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Like many others I didn`t like the new qualifying format... maybe, just maybe if they tweak things it`ll get better but nope, didn`t really take to it.

Feel for Rosberg too. I think Hamilton`s got him mentally and I`m not sure Rosberg has it in him to overcome that. Hope I`m wrong though as I`d love to see him really take the fight to Hamilton this year and also love to see him win a WDC but... it`s going to be tough I think...

10. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Qualifying? More action on track? Here are some unsurprising numbers:

2012 - 24 cars - 323 laps - Dry - both HRTs completed 3 laps
    2013 - 16 cars - 372 laps - Wet/Dry - No one hit serious trouble
    2014 - 22 cars - 312 laps -
    Wet - Maldonado somehow managed to complete 3 laps!
    2015 - 20 cars - 273 laps - Dry - No one hit serious trouble
    2016 - 22 cars - 222 laps - Dry - No one hit serious trouble

Not to mention the fact that, except for the two Mercs, the track only saw about 6 minutes of action (everyone on track for one run) in the last 15-18 minutes or so of the session. This will only get worse once teams figure out the system to perfection. The lengthy Q1 runs seemed very generous of them, perhaps because they did a bit of extended testing after Friday's disturbed sessions.
    I even missed the second Q3 run of Mercedes because I was browsing the web and just ... missed it. I wonder why.

More action on track? Not quite. Oh well, at least we have a totally unpredictable grid ... right.

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

So what do you think tomorrow? Im gonna go insane with my tip and sa Merc 1,2, Fiats 3,4 and than who knows.

This almost feels like simply pro-longed 2015 season, not a new season, simply same old same old

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Mercs 1-2... for sure (unless there`s tangles with other cars) probably Ferrari 3-4 yeah... the rest... well we`ll see I guess.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

[​IMG]

14. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... yeah unfortunately that`ll be the case... won`t be the first time I`ve nodded off during a F1 race...

To be fair usually the early starters (for me in Scotland) that I drop off during but yeah...

F1 is often...

zzzzzzzzzz...

These days...

15. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ye im defo not getting up for it tomorrow, ill just get up normally, make a coffee and read how hamilton gives Rosberg reason to try harder

16. woochoo

woochoo Registered

If anyone was looking for an absurd but potentially interesting qualifying format..
    they could do the standard 3 session thing, but instead of knocking out the slowest five/six drivers, they could knock out the slowest five/six in even-numbered positions at the end of each session, until the third session.
    At the end of the final session the even-numbered places get shuffled to the bottom of the top ten. So the final session grid would be - 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th.

It might keep people active, because anyone in an even position near the end of a session might want to move up a position, and odd-placed drivers might want to defend against that. It's not a total crap-shoot, and it's not a reverse grid either. It's also possible it would be a completely new type of disaster :p

So I guess a full session grid would be:
    Session 1:
    1 -
    3 -
    5 -
    7 -
    9 -
    11-
    -12*
    13-
    -14*
    15-
    -16*
    17-
    -18*
    19-
    -20*
    21-
    -22*

Session 2:
    1 -
    3 -
    5 -
    - 6*
    7 -
    - 8*
    9 -
    -10*
    11-
    -12*
    13-
    -14*
    15-
    -16*

Session 3:
    1 -
    - 2*
    3 -
    - 4*
    5 -
    - 6*
    7 -
    - 8*
    9 -
    -10*

Final Grid:
    1 -
    5 -
    9 -
    4 -
    8 -
    ----
    11-
    13-
    15-
    ----
    17-
    19-
    21-

Crazy, right? :p
    Any leagues want to give it a try? :p

noyasystem likes this.
  17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Okay! I'm not going to beat-around-the-bush on this....
    The new qualifying format is absolute s***.
    That's my opinion and I've been following F1 since 1971.
    It's an absolute farce when a guy is knocked out while on his best lap.
    I saw that too many times today.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The teams have voted to return to 2015 rules for next race.

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Q1and2 was interesting but q3 a farce.. Hope you all enjoy the Melbourne series opener.. Wave to my family watching from their balcony. Sister lives 300m from track And dad 400m . .

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Please dont discuss the race results until the end of today so people have chance to read the news without spoiling it here

EDIT: Thinking about that, screw that, if you dont want it spoiled dont come here reading a forum topic that is about F1