Real F1 2014 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

+1

ps. Go kevin !!! :d

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The fastest pitstop i saw in the race was 2.2 seconds by ferrarri (if i remember the team correctly), i think with Alonso. Last year i remember seeing at least 2.3 seconds a few times by red bull. They hold the unofficial record of something like 2.05 seconds for a pitstop and commenting that sub 2 seconds is humanly possible but that everything would have to come together perfectly.

Edit: Scratch the 2.05 seconds. Red bull did a 1.923 second in the austin race last year with Mark Webber: http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsports/f1/stories/1331621211398/red-bull-racing-pitstop-record

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  3. Tony

Tony Registered

I'm looking forward to the next race, & don't mind the new sounds really, (though it does sound as though the engines have all gone into "safe mode") but now I like hearing so clearly the pit-to-car transmissions, the tyre-squeal & the crowds cheering -never used to hear any of that. Hopefully the race-commentators will all calm down a bit as the newness becomes the norm

It's the future guys.. Apparently some local governments/councils were complaining about the noise of the old cars, as they were having complaints from residents. The turbos have now effectively cut off the high pitched screaming the old engines used to make, so GP's can continue in or near built up areas..

But boy oh boy.. it's like watching the "Race of the Uglies"

It's like each designer sat down and read the new rules about the nose-height, then thought: "..I'm going to come up with the ugliest possible solution I can""

& you know what - they all succeeded

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well said sir

5. costamesa

costamesa Registered

lets make a distinction: The current regulation provides a challange to teams, an exciting watch for fans, a joyful (at least) "2 hours" for spectators, an oppurtunity to become a world champion for drivers other than vettel and lots of other things that can make people enjoy motorsports.

But is this Formula 1? No, I dont think so. There were and are other series that provides better racing than formula one in the past and today. If we think this is the future and we should accept it, which actually makes sense, then we are already late to move on to Formula E! F1 is dead for some years for some sensible reasons, it is just too profitable for some guys to declare it.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For me its not that big of a deal clinging on to whatever my mind says F1 'should be' or what others claim it to be.

First and foremost its a series with top drivers battling it out. I can have as much fun watching that with a grid of Clio's as with F1 cars. so I just reset my mind and tried to go in blank, just for the racing.

Plus I kinda like the push for new technology. its a bit of a shame all this new stuff we don't actually get to see much apart from the torque so for viewers its kinda lost what's actually happening but interesting nonetheless.

I do get the sense though that much of the fun stuff we had seen sunday was due to the total unpredictable nature of the new rules and unfinished testing.
    I don't think we should root too much for that because then you might as well change rules randomly on a regular basis and see what happens.

7. costamesa

costamesa Registered

Agreed mostly apart from what you said about the drivers. Come on, everybody says this is the golden age for pay drivers!

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok ok, not all drivers. but quite a few of them nonetheless and I reckon the current F1 will only make that more apparent.

The Kimi/Alonso hookup is going to be pretty interesting for starters :)

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I absolutely love the technology and sound of turbos, so that part I'm not too upset about...then again I loved the V12, V10 and V8 cars.
    I'm just a 'petrol-head'.
    love internal combustion engines.
    My one wish would have been for the FIA not to screw with the fuel flow rate and volume.
    We could have had some all out racing this year.
    Now I fear we will have guys struggling to drive just fast enough to stay ahead, while trying not to go flat out for fear of running short.
    Timed fuel limits, much like artificial tire degradation should not be an influence in racing.

10. costamesa

costamesa Registered

I think, if the main reasons for these changes is to go "green" as much as possible, then fuel limit and fuel flow limit must be there to make sure the main aims are met. Especially fuel flow limit...

11. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

That's where it gets 'tricky'.
    F1 will never be green....ever.
    While I understand it's a complex balancing act between wanting to appear green vs racing cars, the FIA have to understand that at the end of the day environmentalist don't give a darn...unless they quit racing completely.
    I'm not advocating that obviously.
    I'm saying they (F1) have to make up their mind if they want racing for true F1 fans or car management for no one...including the people they're trying most to persuade.

12. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

lol this is not gonna happen. Maybe between Lewis and Rosberg.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Huey Lewis and Keke Rosberg don't drive in 2014.

14. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Take a note: at the end of 2014 season Alonso will have double points than Kimi.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

+111111

16. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

17. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Quite a difference in sound.
    I read that the Aussie organizers have sued F1 for breach of contract. Apparently, there is a sound clause in the contract, and these cars didn't match, or meet up to the level of sound in the contract. Bernie is said to have agreed.

I noticed the lack of ear protection in the second half of that clip.

18. osella

osella Registered

Funny thing is that Tour de France probably causes as much pollution as whole F1 calendar.
    Millions of people go visit that bicycle race.. and no, most of them don't travel by bus or bicycle :p

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I like the new sounds. Also those cars looked fun to drive. Most of the drivers said they didn't have to save fuel but could push pretty hard.

It looked like there was opportunities to pass without DRS now but the track wasn't just good for overtaking. I see the racing will only get better.

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You're mad, mate :)