Real F1 2014 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Jan 24, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

They drop the double points in 2015.

I would have made it triple points............. ( wt? :rolleyes: :confused: )

3 Sprint races, same compounds, low fuel loads, strategy ? ...... " Hammer Down ! " lol

I think it could make a spectacle and the 2nd and 3rd races would give opportunity for slower cars to grid higher.

Put on a celebrity race or something while teams prepared for each race.

Forget about pit crew error for at least 1 Round p ;) ............I mean to say how would you like it if your league pit crew randomly botched a stop ? hehehe

Sweep the marbles between races. :p

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Dropped points, good idea, I never understood why it had to be double.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah, if Nico had won and Lewis 3rd I bet people would have been dirty on it.

Still like my idea better. ;)

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

So that's it for Kevin Magnussen in F1 then...

Out of two possible choices, a right and a wrong choice, McLaren chose the latter.
    Instead of looking at the future, they choose to dwell on the past.
    Such a waste of young talent.

Well... That's how it goes sometimes.

Edit: it seems he's even locked contractually as a test/reserve driver at McLaren for years to come.
    K-MAG's officially in a state of limbo now... Awful stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  5. yusupov

yusupov Registered

2014 was my first season (actually half-season) watching & following F1 so im glad my thinking was shared by someone who knows a lot more than i. i really like button from the little i know of him but hes clearly on the downslope w/ mag coming up. my first thought after the surprise of the decision was to wonder why button would allow this to happen to magnussen. but ofc hes a competitor; i certainly dont blame him a bit.

6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Hexagramme - if McLaren would let Jenson go the entiry fan base would be very pissed off, now they have one cockhead and one very popular guy, but we all know who will be the faster one

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  7. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Jason??? lol :D

I think it is great news personally. I would have hated to lose jenson the way we know lost kevin (for now). Kevin proved to be a decent driver, and I definatly think he deserves another chance, but personally I prefer Jenson both as a driver, and as personallity.

I did read another solution someone on the internet came up with (well, don't know if he came up with it, or someone else). What if McLaren would have bought Marussia, and have it as a sattelite team just as Red Bull has. Then they would have had a seat for both Kevin Magnussen, and also for Stoffel Vandoorne who I think deserves a chance in F1 as well. That would have been nice :) ah well, what could have been :p

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Jenson was right choice imo. One of my favourite drivers and he beat Magnussen by a large margin. Also didn't like Magnussen's overly aggressive style of driving which cost some points to Kimi :p

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I can totally get why many would want Button to get the seat...
    Don't get me wrong, I adore Jenson, one of my favs in modern F1 racing.

It's just heart breaking to see a young, crazy fast and fierce talent's F1 career more or less end before it even really had begun.
    He's now effectively just warming the bench, chained to a state of limbo for at least two years as a mere reserve driver, while the F1 train just powers on without him.
    GP2 isn't an option. Neither is Formula Renault. What's the kid to do?

Jenson, with 266 GP starts, outscoring a rookie, who made only his 19th start at Abu Dhabi?
    You'd be an utter fool to expect otherwise.

Imo McLaren, among other things, caved under the pressure from the British fans and media, and just went for the 100 percent fool-proof solution, without any sort of risk.
    Short sighted in my honest opinion.

I'm glad for the British fans, and Button fans generally, that they got what they wanted.
    You also have to see, though, why many of us Danes have a bitter taste in our mouths, having waited 15 years (!!!) for a Danish F1 driver.

10. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

While I do agree, you can't deny that once upon a time there was a rookie called Hamilton that scored as many points as reigning double world champion Fernando Alonso.

I don't think AT ALL that they caved under pressure of the fans and media. I wouldn't be surprised though, if some of the stories about sponsors threathening to quit if they didn't pick jenson were true.

While as a dutch I haven't had to wait for that long, I do understand your feeling. In 2002 we had the same when Jos Verstappen got ditched by arrows on the last couple of weeks before Melbourne (2 or 3 weeks or something I believe). And also more or less with Giedo this year when he appears to have had a contract to race with Sauber next year (although that one didn't hurt nearly as much, because Giedo doesn't seem to be one of the great, and we allready had Max Verstappen confirmed for next year).

I think for Magnussen it has hurt him in the end that he had to make his debut with McLaren, next to a guy like Button. In the end, he probably would have been better off with a team in the mid-field to gain some experience, and then get to a team like McLaren. In the end he didn't do bad at all, and for him (and also all of you Danes ;) ) I hope it will go like it went with Grosjean. He was ditched by Renault, but later picked up by the same team for another chance, which he grabbed with both hands :)

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I actually had HAM in the back of my head while I wrote that. He is the magnificent exception to the rule I think.
    And I wouldn't ever imply that Magnussen is or will be AS good as Hamilton. That guy is above and beyond most drivers... ;)

I think McLaren caved a little bit. Imagine the pressure of the British media and the fans. And the sponsors, like you say.
    It's all connected anyway.

Lol it wasn't 15 years though, I totally forgot that Kiesa had a few races in a Minardi back in 2003.
    But you get my drift.
    It's tough, and I think Magnussen's career (chance of a championship win) is wrecked, more or less, because the pressure of performing against Jenson in that exact car was too much.
    It was probably too much too soon.

There won't be room for him in that big a team for many many years to come.

Oh well... Here's hoping I'm dead wrong in that assumption.

I hope Max will do well in his first season.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

They Dutch are already expecting way too much from him. Not even started his first season but he can only disappoint now :)

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That was the curse that hit Kevin even before the season started. Only got worse when he bagged a podium on his first try. It can only go down hill from there...

14. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Told you Raikkonen was an overrated driver.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Welcome back Luis :)

16. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Nice to meet you too :)

Maybe i should find another word then "overrated". This could cause problems here too

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2015