Ready to quit and I never even started yet

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by IndyRacerNick, Jan 16, 2016.

1. IndyRacerNick

IndyRacerNick Registered

I need help here guys, if possible.

I have searched many threads and forums and I just do not get why this is so difficult...so here goes the issues and things I have tried.

This is all surrounding steering and handeling/FFB in game.

I have played pCARS and I am a member on iRacing (A 4.99) and I have been looking for other sims to race on, and would love to try this.

As soon as I purchased rFactor2 I went straight to the Indy Car DW12. I fired up the Indy 500 on single player mode and OMG it was the WORST racing experience I have ever had. I have my wheel set to 270 on iRacing and the wheel along with FFB works very well, but, as soon as I fire up rFactor 2, I have no control over my car.

Coming out of pit box on Indianapolis I hit the tracks and first issue I have is the car pulling way too much to the left. This may have to do with the baseline setup being used and I can handle that for now.

When I am on the track, and make it to the 1st turn, I have to lift, a lot of lift, and the car wont hold the bottom line at all.

When I hit another turn say turn 3, when I turn in it just has no grip, hugs the wall, and I am bouncing everywhere. Again, I have to lift lift lift a lot. I know other platforms I have races, I am able to go full throttle through these turns and hold that bottom line.

I have tried turning all assists ON and OFF and this does not help.
    There is some FFB but nothing from what I am used to on iRacing. iRacing seems more responsive to my wheel and my actions unlike rF2.

The wheel setup I have is a Thrustmaster TX with F1 wheel attached

Hell, pCARS has better response than this so far.

I have ready threads, tried several things, reset to default, uninstalled drivers, reinstalled, uninstalled RF2 and reinstalled and still the same thing.

I am about ready to call it quits and I have not had 1 race yet. Only practice to get everything working and in order, which to me seems way complex than it should be. iRacing and other sims out there just allow me to plug my wheel in, start game, and race without worrying about wheel settings because its already set through my profiler.

ANy help at all why I am having such issues would be great. I would love to try this out, but as of now, I am ready to hit the uninstall button for the last and final time.

Cheers!

Nick

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I would say the first thing is rubber on the track, if you are on a green track, it is meant to represent a dirty or greasy track, or in some cases a freshly laid tarmac, which can be horrendously slippy.

Under the race settings menu, there is a item on the left called "realroad rubber profile". You can preload some default rubber or when in a session you can save them. There should be ones labeled light through to heavy.
    Some people get caught out setting the rubber for the wrong track session, so make sure if practice ks your first session, you have one set for that session, and the following sessions on "naturally progressing". That will mean they inherit the rubber from the previous session. So it will slowly build up over the weekend.

I would honestly say, stick with it, and post up here if you meed help. There a lots of brilliant peeps here that will be able to help you out. Some FFB experts will be here really soon, I'm sure XD

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

And map buttons for the anti roll bars... Then you can dial out understeer/oversteer on the fly.

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I would say: post avideo please!
    People above are just guessing what your issue is.
    It is (for me at least) absolutely unclear!
    Maybe there´s a technical hickup.
    When you can drive in iracing, you should do in rF2.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Default setups in the game, bar F-Renault 2014, are nothing to write home about. I wonder if it's a mix of driving impacted by a poor setup. I am surprised with "Coming out of pit box on Indianapolis I hit the tracks and first issue I have is the car pulling way too much to the left", which given how iRacing provides setups, you should have been used to that behavior on an oval.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you can find a server running the content you want, and some people who can help (or even, you can just watch them for a bit) it will help a lot.

7. felirrari

felirrari Registered

First, on iRacing you have optimal track conditions, including a setup pre developed to each track. On rFactor 2, you don't have a setup, YOU HAVE TO develop it. Then, similar to real life, you have to wait for the optimal tyre and temperatures. Besides, you have to wait for the track to be rubbed. And finally a disadvantage from rF2: you have to set your wheel correctly, and I must admit it's harder than other simulators.

I suggest you to read about how to set your wheel and then, do many laps to feel the track rubbing and the tyres becoming in good temperatures. You'll see the difference.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

And OP was never seen again......

Back to pcars,- some people....:rolleyes:

9. bhendrik

bhendrik Registered

Lol

10. richl

richl Registered

It's a shame for him, rf2 is an outstanding sim, never used the dw12, many of the others though, hop into an eve f3, nothing like it in all sim world

11. IndyRacerNick

IndyRacerNick Registered

sorry guys been busy with the newborn baby...only 2 weeks old so my priorities have been elsewhere.

I have tried a few things that were suggested but do not have any control over my car still.

I did post a video to youtube and some people made some suggestions, feel free to check it out if you don't mind...see if we can get this working. I have no given up yet, its probably more growing pains than anything.

As for pCARS I have it, and do not play it, reminds me of Forza and all them other crappy "sim" games. I am either between iRacing or rF2.

[video]https://youtu.be/7myQKed6Hsc[/video]

As for the comment "Coming out of pit box on Indianapolis I hit the tracks and first issue I have is the car pulling way too much to the left", this don't seem to be the problem anymore, if anything I find the car just not able to hold a line through the apex without firing back up into the wall. I know when you are low, it is normal for a car to slide back up, but it slides up with no control.

Take a look at the video I posted...give you an idea. I also have the following set per wheel settings. If I have something messed up here let me know.

Wheel: Thrustmaster TX

Right now from the OPTIONS > CONTROLS My wheel is set to 360 (900 deg)
    From the CAR OPTIONS menu my wheelbase is set to 120 inch
    From the in game GARAGE > GENERAL > Wheel Range Lock is set to 270 (8.3 deg)

I know 100% I am using the latest version of the car, and as well as the TUNING has been set for the oval indy and all that jazz from the main menu

Cheers and sorry for the late reply..baby first, racing 2nd :)

UPDATE: I have made a quick video showing 2-3 laps of the DW12 on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  12. IndyRacerNick

IndyRacerNick Registered

I just made a quick video showing a couple laps without all the menu settings

DW12 @ Indianapolis

[video]https://youtu.be/HyojiL9qKhI[/video]

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Ok, what I recommend:
    - Set your wheel to 900º
    - In the game, under settings, select the box saying "Vehicle Set" so the game automatically adjusts the lock

If you really are keen on running 270º instead of 360º or even 450º then at least make sure your steering wheel is set for the same. It did look like a bit of push on corners, could be impacted by setup too.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Track looks green . and seems set isnt quite right

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Isn't green track a good thing for oval racing, or is it just for stock cars?

16. Promag

Promag Registered

you can drop your steering lock down 9,10, 11 at 270 you don't have much room for error running that tight.

17. EaglemanGT

EaglemanGT Registered

Set your OPTIONS>CONTROLS to match game settings - This really shouldn't matter as the Sim takes over the settings, but helps with the finer things.
    Adjust the Steering Sensitivity to suit you and your style
    Adjust Throttle, Brake and Clutch If you use it to Zero (0) Sensitivity - this will give you complete control over throttle and braking
    Check the Speed Sensitivity - I prefer 0 as no lag at higher speeds helps me.
    I use a steering rate of 1 the lowest possible, this gives ME control of the wheels every degree.
    I use several different Degrees of Rotation depending on car I am in, So I use several profiles, but all the rest is the same.

Unlike most sims rFactor 2 is not a sim you can just get in and have top speeds out of the box. Even with a proven setup. Tires need to come to temps, brakes need to come to temps the track has to get some rubber on it. A green track is a slippery track with limited high speed grip. Five or so laps in any discipline will allow you to start gettin' with it and lay down some quality laps. As stated before, make sure you go to track settings before you load the track, set the real road to a testing preference. Good luck, but don't throw the towel in just yet. IMO rFactor2 rivals iRacing in race experience but surpasses it in other aspects. AND A TON OF CASH CHEAPER with MORE CONTENT <<<<That's the good part

18. bwana

bwana Registered

Not sure Gui. Would have thought some rubber better than none. Excessive is probably the opposite?

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't know about open-wheelers, I know stock cars like to avoid the rubber

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hey! Noone of you noticed that he plays with a slide-show???
    Please Nick: on track press ctrl+F. Then in the upper right your FPS is shown. Please report what you see there.

My guess is, simulation is more or less running out of realtime! You have way too low FPS!

Lower graphics-settings to go up to 60 FPS minimum. I recommend to lower player- and opponent detail at first
    (lowers polycount, what can´t be seen, but lowers texture-resolution also, what can be avoided by .JSON-hack)

Please, please, please lower settings until you are on 60 at min, then try again!

P.s.: sorry for my earlyer post! Didn´t know the circumstances you are in.
    Often be seen here that people with too low patience come here, moan and go away.