Rain Graphic effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miguel Cardoso, Oct 8, 2015.

1. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

matter of priority, and ISI would not do false advertising

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, but that kind of thing doesn't work like that IMO. All the cars should have had the updated CPM from the start, now they have to go and remake all the tyres from the start again, all new, etc. Not to mention all the mods without new CPM stuff...
    Same for chassis flex too, these things just get updated as they come around.

The only thing we know is that for some reason, that stuff shown in the videos just wouldn't have worked out at that time. If it had, and it had been easy and been what the devs were wanting to achieve with it, we would have it. It's there in the sim. They wouldn't develop realroad and get it all working fine, and then omit it from the sim for no reason.
    I enjoy dirt rally and their window effects, with the dirt and watersplash and rain stuff, that's what I'd like to see. Heck, maybe if they actually do a new direct X or something, maybe that would give them more abilities with shades and whatnot.

3. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Why always this perpetual misinformation about rain and rF2 in general?

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-review-keeping-up-with-the-times.108202/ Jul 7, 2015.

https://twitter.com/rFactor2/status/639591793135370240 Sep 3, 2015.

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Maybe because its taken 5 years to get basically nowhere? Where are the WIP screens if they are working on something new? Would be very clever to show some sort of progress if there is any since their fans are asking about this very frequently.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Rain effects will come.... but I fear it will be like most games with weather.

I will bet many would play it for 5-10 mins, complain it's too hard then shrug their shoulders and continue to race in the dry.

The masses will then move onto something else they want in the sim.

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

When you will have random weather that even a server host cannot predict it shouldn't be an issue (at least that's what I'm hoping for to be included as well, that's why I asked for it in my tweets featured above). ;) Ofc talking about races that are longer than 10 minutes.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

I actually understand the kind of incremental approach they have to new physics features. The problem is it doesn't work as well with graphics, as it's a bit useless to add a graphic feature that just 5% of the cars support (those with animated wipers), besides those cars would then have a visibility advantage.

The review is just speculation based on no facts. The twitter post is the first mention I've read about new rain features, I stand corrected on that one. Although as I mentioned it will be difficult to improve graphics with current lack of mod support.

8. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

I've dreaming with that too since the beggining :)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well you don't run those cars in the rain.... not rocket science :p

10. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Maybe ISI is so quiet because they have something in the works which is totally new and never done before and they do not want to leak it.
    Wishful thinking...[emoji6]

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd be of the opinion that the same happens with any physics updates. If they bring say chassis flex and the new tyres to a car and improve its feel/setup response/grip, or characteristics like that, is that not an unfair advantage to the guys with that car?
    Furthermore when it comes to graphics updates like that, I'm sure it could be easily coordinated to be in sensible groups, and I'm sure they would want a system that would be easily adapted and easy to implement, so it would work well for 3rd party stuff. "Ok, heres the Classic open wheelers done, next in the modern open wheelers, heres the GT cars, heres the road cars, etc."

Eh, we all will wait and see hahaha

12. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

13. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Best looking rain effect for windscreen so far comes from Driveclub:
    [video]https://youtu.be/zmykrAkQb68?t=197[/video]

Can't wait for ISI to implement the rain effects, prolly not gonna look like that, but that's not the point.

14. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Amazing but no "rooster trail" :/

15. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

But it's sooo pretteh :)

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Not really....unimpressive at least.This really isn´t on this planet. Alone when it comes to engine-sounds.

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yesterday I noticed that some parameters for the rain visual effects have been added to the viewer program. I'm pretty sure they've not been there before (or until recently), because I would remember having played with them :)
    In the viewer you can adjust the shape, speed, range of the drops. Stuff like that.
    Perhaps this is the first step into updating the weather system?

20. simforlife2

simforlife2 Registered

viewer program?