Rain experiment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, May 3, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I just tried. And in dev mode no effects at 10000 meters with rtrainer

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Gust simulation is extremely complicated.

In my line of work we deal with discrete gusts and it is very painful. I'd be surprised if a gust model is implemented at all, and even then I think it would be a simple canned effect.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree, wind simulation technically would be something nice and I will add yet, as already mentioned in the Indy thread dynamic particle distribution of dirt which influences the optical appearance of the track, as well as wind gusts should be visible from flying particles as for example leaves or dust, also movement in the vegetation would be an additional increase in the ambient, apart from the basic sense of the wind in the simulation.

The environment is dead, and apart from a few zombies and objects very boring. Of course the visuals might be not priority but not unimportant at the present time and I hope all this will bring it sometime in rf2.

4. Arandor

Arandor Registered

Back to the rain if you don't mind:

I haven't tested it so far but I'm wondering that is the rubbered line more slippery than the non-rubbered line if the track is wet?
    If I remember well the rubber and the "wetness" are on different realroad layers so theoretically it can be implemented.

Is this "feature" working? Does anybody experienced such?

If I will have some time I will test it but until that I'm curious to your experiences.
    Thanks

5. osella

osella Registered

I think that's another rain feature not implemented yet, dry line is the fastest in the wet too. Unless it has changed this year but don't think so.

6. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Correct.

Actually, once we have a build where the rubbered-in-line is slippery, I guess modders will have to return to their tracks and redo all the AI. Hopefully it's not too much work for them.

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Any progress on rain & wiper? It`s not a complain, just to get an idea, where we are at the moment and what we could expect the next months with this feature...

8. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Hopefully, the wet weather, especially tire model stuff, will be fixed eventually. My biggest concern is that the tire heats up massively if you slide or spin on the soaking wet track ( tire easily exceeds 140C ). Same goes for sliding or spinning on grass. Again i really don't think the tire should heat up so much, since there is very low to zero friction - no friction no heat.

Its something that has been reported ages ago, yet it isn't taken care of yet. Its obviously a bigger task or no priority at the moment.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Anyone notice the wipers have 2 speeds: regular and fast? :)

Just noticed this the other day. Push to turn on, push again for faster speed.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe i miss something, some secret settings??? For me wipers are not working...

11. Quartza

Quartza Registered

They are only on a few cars as there is no reason to have them at the moment.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I can confirm the messy tire behaviour in rain. They heat up even more than in dry race. I could make wet tires last longer under dry conditions than in wet.

13. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

yeah its non sense in its current state. I really hope they fix it because it kills wet weather driving at the moment, at least for me

14. coops

coops Banned

do you have any idea when you will be able to market rfactor2 this yr ? or are we a few yrs away ?

15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think Tim is changing the dippers of his newborn. Probably dont have much time. I don't know for if in the States you get 15 days off work when you have a kid but I would guess so. If you combine that with holidays, I would not expect many posts from Tim until September more or less. Let him enjoy his deserved time for himself and for his family.

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

The dryline appears therw were people drive ;).
    If you drive a different line, you will get a different dry-line.

Not sure if rubber is affecting wet grip yet, i doubt it, but it might change in future.

17. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Water does currently not lubricate the friction of tire/asphalt.

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It just a huge convection factor and specific heat compared to dry asphalt that would remove a lot of heat

And if by lubricate you mean reduce friction as I understand it, it does provide some lubrication since it reduces friction by 20-30%. For sure it is not grease which would reduce it by a lot more. When you reduce friction you reduce as well heat generation at the contact patch. Q = Ff * d. Where Q is heat, Ff friction force, and d sliding distance. Beware than sliding occurs not only when you spin wheels or slide the car.

19. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

If the lubrication is not implemented yet ( which i think refers to the tire aquaplaning ), what about when you go off track, why does the tire heat up like mad when you spin on the grass.. i mean yeah of course don't go off track, then its no concern.

But its just something thats annoying, since the tire wear increases alot when overheated. So basically, a slide / spin on grass costs you the same amount of rubber as on asphalt, which is just wrong. I don't know anything about the coding / programming side of it, but i know that they already have different surfaces defined.

Implementing at least some piece of code, that tells the sim that if the surface the tire currently runs on isnt the racing surface, equals tire wear x 0.25 or something?

20. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Good to know this. I wont feature rain in my league then. Real Road green and rubbered can potentially give enuff drama :)