Rain effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by green serpent, Sep 18, 2017.

1. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Hi studio 397. I'm really excited about the rain effects I saw at the sim racing expo on facebook! My question is, are the puddles of water dynamic and do they affect car behaviour, or are they only visual at this stage?

Thanks!

2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Christopher confirmed the rain is dynamic on Discord earlier.

Ernie, vegaguy5555 and green serpent like this.
  3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

What about the physics in the rain, are they being looked at? The outside of the rubbered line has more grip, et�

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

So it should do in the rain,watch any f1 race and they stay clear of the rubbered line in the wet,rubber and water don't mix well,just like slicks in the wet

Rui Santos likes this.
  5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I know that from karting rainy days, that's why i'm asking ;)

patchedupdemon likes this.
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i like to see one single sim get the AI tyres right in wet weather. By jimmys new video even f12017 cant get it right for crying out loud!

7. patchedupdemon

Ah sorry I misunderstood your post

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Old issues with rain should be addressed before adding new features IMO. The biggest problem with using rain right now is that the off-line and driving line dry at wrong rate in proportion to each other. Watch this broadcast from 1h44m onward and you'll see the issue:

Remco Majoor likes this.
  9. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I wonder if all the tracks have to be updated to fully work with the new dynamic rain. And are the puddles dynamic too? :confused:

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

All the cars getting the new Damage update will need individually updating I know that much, hopefully (for Studio397s sake) the Real Road/Wet changes are hard coded into the game...or yeah they're gonna be busy updating a lot of content!

11. patchedupdemon

I'm quite dumb and miss things that are staring me in the face but,are you on about how the track off line isn't even drying compared to the racing line

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon I believe that's what's being referred to, yes. But I think it's important to allow for that sort of thing (hardcoded rates for changes) becoming part of a new system that then improves the situation.

Regarding wet racing line there was a long and interesting discussion somewhere on these forums years ago about the worn aggregate being more of an issue than rubber (though rubber build up is certainly a factor), and I'd hope the AIW might undergo some expansion to help in this area, rather than trackmakers being forced to implement varying surface roughness to get the desired effect (which I don't think we've seen in any public content, if at all).

13. Karei

Karei Registered

Watching the streaming video of Mitchi Hoyer driving... he was riding kerbs without any consequences. Maybe he's just a phenomenal driver, but I think that at least kerbs and white lines aren't affected by rain. As for the driving line, he braked on the normal side of the track. So from what I watched on the video I don't know. Can't wait to try it though.

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Depends on various factors, if the curbs are rugged concrete, yes, they have grip... white lines depends if it's only paint or has relief, and racing line depends also if it has rained a lot meanwhile, if a rubbered line suddently becomes wet, it's like ice ;)

Emery likes this.
  15. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

...or maybe rain is just wip and needs some more testing and fine tuning...so we have just to wait...

Rui Santos likes this.
  16. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Correct. Or well, it is drying, but at a rate at which it takes half a day or something for it to dry, whereas the driving line dries in 15 minutes.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Does it depend on Location in RF2? I've not watched the "drying" personally so have no clue, but like the Suns angle it's different for different race tracks in Real Life as per the actual Weather that day, lots of other variables too I'd imagine.

19. Emery

Emery Registered

Different surfaces react differently to rain on them.

Grooved pavement, permeable pavement, brushed concrete, concrete floated smooth, sealed concrete, epoxy-treated concrete, linseed oil treated concrete, fresh concrete, unworn-but-aged concrete (sections of airport runways), worn concrete with river-run aggregate, worn concrete with crushed gravel, worn concrete with seashell aggregate, exposed aggregate concrete, fresh asphalt, aged asphalt, sealed asphalt, rubberized asphalt, asphalt with river-run aggregate, asphalt with crushed gravel, asphalt with seashell aggregate, cracks sealed with tar, cracks not sealed. Pavement markings can be paint, paint with grit, vinyl stripes (applied with heat gun), vinyl stripes with grit, epoxy paint, epoxy paint with grit.

And there are undoubtedly variations that I'm not even aware of!

Humidity & heat affect evaporation rate, think of the difference between evaporation rates on an overcast day vs. a sunny day. It also matters how many cars pass through in a period of time and how big their contact patches are and how different their lines are.

Basically, saying that rF2's offline drying rate is wrong compared to the drying line is kind of weird because there are so many variables involved to get it correct that perfection is the enemy of having the effect. Within rF2, even the size of the realroad polygons are going to matter.

Ernie and Rui Santos like this.
  20. Comante

Comante Registered

Before starting to blame this feature, could you at least wait until it's released?