SOLVED Rain effects on windscreen

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by McFlex, Mar 12, 2018.

1. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Hi guys i have a problem with the implementation of the rain effects on the windscreen. I am working on the URD EGT cars for our league. I don't have access to the original max-files. So i export them to .fbx via 3DsimED. After this i redo the material properties / asign the new shaders for the internal/external windscreen. Basically i follow the dev instructions (i hope i understood everything right). This is working for the internal windscreen but not for the external. The effect on the windscreen outside is some kind of shifted to the top of the windscreen. You can see the problem in the attached pictures. Can anyone help me?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Is the UVW mapping the same as the tutorial?

3. McFlex

McFlex Registered

I hope so. :oops: I am not that 3ds max expert, just a beginner who is learning how to do things like that. Maybe you can tell from that sreenshot if i am doing it right. There are three objects. The trunk window, the inside windows and the outside windows. The inside and outside window UVs mappings are overlaying.
    upload_2018-3-12_23-38-4.png

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

No it doesn't look right. The top window looks right but the bottom half is incorrect. Plus the side windows are a different size so the drops will be bigger on the side windows to the front. In the UV editor top right select checker pattern so you can see the size and compare the size of the checker on all windows. Here is what one of mine looks like.

Edit: Once you have all windows mapped correct with the checker looking the same try moving the windshield down to centre it in the top half. That will probably move the missing area out of the way.

window UVW.jpg window UVW1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Thanks for your help Nibiru. Yes you are right. The scaling is not perfect done because i didn't know that you could move the wireframes out of the checkered box. I got help from another side an he suggested two different solutions. The first one was to collapse all modifiers and export the exterior windows. This alone didn't work for me. But after just resaving the .gmt with 3DsimED the wipped window part was on the right position. I still don't know why but i worked with another car too.