rain and ai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trollray, Jan 18, 2018.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi.
    I know that since a long time there is a bug that make the ai is pitting after one lap when it rains.
    With the new graphical rain effects, i immediately started again with rain of course .
    Nice job but the bug with ai pit strategy is still there.
    Any news or progress in that way?

Personnaly, i would really like even in dry races a more customised or deepest feel of tire/pit strategy from ai.
    They drive and fight really well but pit strategy will put a far more real, complex and immersive feel in the sim.
    thanks and keep the good work

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI and Wet Racing needs some work there is no doubt about that, confirmation on what's happening with the future of AI would be nice but S397 have barely said anything on this area of the Sim since they took over (all we've seen is Talent Files dropped from Cars for no apparent reason and that they are working on "something").

Whilst for the most part Dry AI racing is just fine (car/track dependant) I am looking forward to improvements to the whole AI system, of course that includes better Rain awareness amongst a load of other things, but until we hear anything then it's pointless to assume what they could be working on....we'll just have to wait it out a bit longer and hope fixes & improvements are coming.

3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

This really does need to be fixed as it's pretty much game braking if you want to race the Ai in the rain. A shame too because rfactor 2 is known as having the best Ai on the sim market, yet this bug just lets it down.

S397 have been very quiet with ai and all the attention seems to be going on other new features and content. I wish they could make the current stuff work first, otherwise we end up with heaps of unfinished work.

With the new rain update I was too hoping people would notice this bug, but all we can do is wait and see.. But yeah, overall I'm pretty happy with the Ai, but that rain bug is just the worse as it takes any fun with racing the Ai away.

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

for me ai are almost 10 secs slower in the wet than the dry? has anyone noticed this at silverstone.?
    i was 2 secs slower in qualy on my difficulty

5. TJones

TJones Registered

Session start always as a dry track, even if you select wet weather. Depending on intensity of rain, it takes a while until track is really wet. So those who enter track right at session start have an advantage. This may one reason for such a time difference.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

ah but i was on wets P2 tyres.. and maybe the ai was still on slicks.. they were struggling i could see that.. but i looked at their tyres they were treaded?!

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Come on!
    Why not accept the simplest explanation?

8. TJones

TJones Registered

Which explanation do you mean?

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That AI drive horrible under the rain.

10. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi guys.
    First thanks for you're reply.

I did't wanted to open a hard discussion about ai. ;)
    Just to ask where and when we can see some improvements.
    Maybe Marcel can tell us more? ;)

IMO, a realistic ai pitting strategy is a must to have.
    Not all of us have time to play online a whole grand prix :p
    And the ai is so great in battle already.
    Thanks

11. TJones

TJones Registered

I tested also at Silverstone GT with GT-Pack, wetness was about 55%. I was faster yes, but only about one sec., two at max, compared to those AI-cars (at 100%) which where on track at the same time as me.
    Maybe performance of AI drops if conditions getting worse, dont know.

I like to add: S397 knows about the problem with AI pitting (thanks to RoboCAT10). I guess, all we can do is wait.

Just remember: AI often missed the braking/turn entry point at the end of hangar straight, loosing about 2 sec., especially at the beginning of the session and slightly wet track.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018