[REL] Radical SR3XX 3rd party sound mod of official content

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by doddynco, Jan 4, 2022.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thanks to the discoveries of @philman into the possibilities of using the upgrade.ini file to make changes to the audio of official mods, I've been able to use his idea to make a full sound overhaul for the S397 Radical SR3 XX.

Some of you may recognise the main engine note as the one from my F1 BMW '86. This is because it is also an inline-4 1.5L and so the sound pack was closely suited (although not perfect) to justify using on the Radical, mainly to show proof of concept. There are differences here, and some of the better default sounds are still used in the mod but most things are swapped out.

As a bonus, the car now has wet tire sounds, which is shown in the second half of the video.

Quite surprised that this can actual be done.

You'll need to own and install the Radical SR3 XX for this to work - this is an upgrade mod. Download the rfcmp here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ssi6dBNIl9joWKi3qPhLmgxXiBZbushF/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    coltair, Hazi, makan and 14 others like this.
  2. vava74

vava74 Registered

:-O !!!!!!!!

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

Holy moly, amazing work!!!

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@doddynco

Hi and thank's for this.

Concerning your modification of player.Json which can be find on RD (for best sound), I really like it, but can you tell me if do you advise me to use it also with latest build and latest release candidate?

Because perhaps S397 have touch something?

5. makan

makan Registered

Wow ,my jaw dropped man.
    What a difference !!!?
    This sound mod is awesome.

Can't believe we can hear much much better sounds from now on.
    Amazing, that's one of my dreams come true.
    Thanks @philman and @doddynco
    Great job.

doddynco, vava74 and atomed like this.
  6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you guys. If anyone wants to have a go at doing a sound mod I've put a walkthrough here:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....ke-new-car-sounds-for-official-content.71000/

@pilAUTO As far as I know, everything is still working as intended, and I use the configuration. The config is not 'revolutionary', in that it's not going to break things and it's not going to make things sound way better. It is quiet subtle and is mainly for creating some headroom for the mix to breath. In the description I say 'Audio mix changed to closely match real cockpit and allow more headroom for higher dynamic range.' which, in retrospect, is a hell of a claim - in reality the config doesn't accomplish that, but it does allow for more spatial movement and dynamics in the sound, which I think is a step in the right direction.

The main change is that it reduces the monotonic engine drone to allow for more headroom. This gives the reverb a bit more space to breath, whilst backfires and other, quieter sounds, like chassis noise, are brought forward and allowed to 'pop' a bit more. I think that the 'other sounds' get a bit forgotten about when it comes to RF2 - people think they like an engine sound, but it really is the whole package which people like or dislike, perhaps without realising it. Though of course, a good engine sound does help a lot, it's just that I like a bit more to the experience than constant RPM ear obliteration. I think my favorite part of the configuration is that it lowers the minimum speed at which the kerb sample plays - without this, kerbs are completely silent under 50mph.

The only issue I have found is that rarely, a car has an engine mix quite quiet already, and this can get a bit lost in the mix. The Porsche GT3 comes to mind.

trollray, makan, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Ok thx for your work
    I will use it again