Radical SR3 XX Force-feedback issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by doddynco, Jul 15, 2020.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Since buying this car I was disappointed to find that the force-feedback suffers from grainyness (just like the free Radical SR3 did). No other official content has this issue as far as I know.

The best way I can explain it, is that is feels like low torque bandwidth/samplerate. Perhaps there is a physics feature which the Radical is using in a certain way which is causing this, like some sort of inbuilt friction/damping or maybe steering linearity is decreasing the output fidelity.

I'd really like S397 to atleast acknowledge this oddity since it's paid content now.

On a similar note, some of the sound samples for this car desparately need some low-pass filtering. Either the road roll, or the windnoise (99% sure it's the windnoise sample), is absolutely unbearable. The engine audio and gearbox whine are also unpleasant.

@Christopher Elliott

atomed likes this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Exactly.

3. Filip

Filip Registered

What controllers are you using?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

T300. It also did with my T500.

I exclusively use 41 cars (all S397, last 4 slowmotion and 2 kartsim : it is the only one to do that. Really the only one, it is curious !).

But other people have the same problem, probably not only with the T300.

5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It doesn't matter if you use a Thrustmaster, Fanatec, or OSW. It is noticeable on everything. An OSW will relay the problem more transparently for obvious reasons but it is 100% there in any other wheel I've tested. I've tested it on different types of osw's too.

Potentially, the motec output won't pick up on it : the api is only 100hz, whereas the ffb is output at 400hz. Not that I've tried that.

Also if you turn in game smoothing up high, it hides the problem. But that is missing the point.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. Filip

Filip Registered

I was wandering if it's Logitech related as I am using one.

7. doddynco

doddynco Registered

If you don't have this issue then you probably have smoothing turned on high somewhere is the signal chain. The logitechs probably mask the problem as they are gear driven.

8. Filip

Filip Registered

No, I also have this issue and it is very evident.
    I was wandering if you are using Logitechs, now I realize it's not wheel related.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The FFB comes out at 400Hz, and I log it at that rate at the higher rate settings in my plugin.

400Hz is very fast though. I doubt you need that to show something you can feel. I've noticed some cars have a grainy feel to them, I do remember the radical having that feeling when it came out and I tried it. I'd be interested to find out what it is, but I don't think it's any lack of fidelity in the underlying physics - we know pretty much everything (tyres, suspension) is run at 2400Hz. I would suggest some sort of resonance in the tyre modelling (for that specific tyre), perhaps amplified by something in the suspension geometry that picks it up.

10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Something funky is going on.