Radeon GPU profiler

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMattyOnline, Jul 30, 2017.

1. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Would this be useful for either us as racers or S397 as developers?

2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

If it only supports the API's listed in the video (DX12 & Vulkan) - then the answer's no.
    If and when it supports an API used by rFactor 2 - it would likely be useful to the game's developers and possibly mod makers & gamers too. It looks like it has detailed analysis features, which would probably be useful with optimising game engine performance and possibly diagnosing performance issues too.
    I'm currently using an Nvidia card, so personally it's not relevant to me at all, but if I had a Radeon GPU - I'd definitely have a look at it.

3. Depco

Depco Registered

I am almost shocked by how Nvidia centric a lot of developers are. I have seen many write-ups on Nvidia settings. I am often left wanting as an AMD user. So hopefully with AMD Vega and AMD Ryzen getting a good deal of the recent media coverage we will actually see AMD products picking up a significant percentage of the market share, and then attention from developers.

muz_j likes this.
  4. muz_j

muz_j Registered

AMD (...and ATI in the good old days) haven't really done themselves much help with being consistently behind Nvidia with GPU performance over the last few years, but they seem to be back on their game now.
    I'm seriously struggling to recall the last ATI video card I used. I recall owning a good Radeon a long time ago. I'm a bang for the buck kind of person and for the last few years that's resulted in me using Nvidia GPUs (460, 660 and now a 1060 Ti - there's an obvious pattern there, going with the best value for money card at the time).
    AMD do seem to win in terms of power efficiency vs performance though.
    It's not a good scenario though to have one dominant player. And you are right - it would be nice if AMD got more support. But it goes both ways too. I'm not sure if how much money and assistance both company offer game developers. I suspect Nvidia probably throws more of it around - so as a result would get more support.
    Look at the revenue figures of both companies - Nvidia are almost double AMD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia