Racing tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rachid Khamlichi, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Rachid Khamlichi

Rachid Khamlichi Registered

Need some help please I race GT3 cars but I'm off the pace in comparison to others.

Braking: Is it better to brake in a straight line / or should I be braking into the corner ie trail braking?

Gear shifting: Should I shift down the gears in the straight line before I enter the corner or is it ok to shift down whilst turning?

Releasing the brake: I have problems with this because I have cheap pedals, usually I just let go of the brake completely when my cars slowed down enough, should I be easing off the brake?

Throttle: When exiting corners I find it hard to time the throttle any tips?

Thanks guys any help, tips or inputs is much appreciated !

2. rocketjockeyr6

rocketjockeyr6 Registered

Smooth is fast.
    When I was a wee one, and reading the Gran-Turismo manual, it said to imagine two strings tied to the steering wheel, one to the throttle, and another one to the brake. In other words, the more you accelerate/brake, the less you should steer, and vice versa. Especially braking, when you apply or release the brakes in a harsh way, you disturb the vehicles balance, which will take away from the lateral grip(cornering grip). Same goes for the throttle. You can really smash the brakes in a straight line, but once that wheel is turned even one little degree, you must be considerate of your impact to the cars balance.

Trail braking depends on the car, the corner, and your conditions, like; tyre wear/temp, fuel in tank, ambient/track temp/rubber grip, and of course rain/weather. In GT3, trail braking is absolutely necessary through almost every corner. The difference is how much you can afford to use. There comes a point where the trail braking can cost you time. This is where the Brake Balance setting has the greatest effect. If you spin/slide(oversteer) during TrailBraking, move the balance forward. If the front end pushes out/loses grip(understeer) move it back some. Always in small increments. Also, dont forget to adjust the brake sensitivity to your preference. A higher value will allow you more braking power, but also brings with it, a higher chance to lock up or spin.

Im sure there will be tons of people to come on here and tell you how to drive a car, and some of that information will be legitimately valuable to you, and some will just confuse you. The absolute best thing you can do for yourself, is to simply practice. Watch video's of people driving GT3 cars, the real one's, and of course people driving rF2. Any video with any kind of telemetry is absolute gold; as you can see exactly what he's doing with the pedals. Now, keep in mind that any real life vid with telemetry, will not be able to display the drivers braking value; not many race cars use a "brake-by-wire" system, so absolute braking values cannot be monitored. Of course, any rF2 vid with telemetry will show you exactly what the driver is doing.

Another way, find a server with some people on it, join, and watch the drivers from the monitor and switch to cockpit/1st person view. Pay attention to their "line", how they go through each corner, where they brake, lift, accelerate. Once you have a line, practice it on your own, slowly at first, and graduate your speed as you feel more and more familiar with the track. Once you feel comfortable enough, join servers and try to follow others. Not too close, you dont want to smash him if you make a mistake, but try to keep him in view through the corners. Sometimes, I turn the tyre sounds up really high, just so I can hear when I push too hard. You want to be at the point where they just start to make noise.

Remember that each corner has 3 points; Braking point(where you begin to apply the brakes), Cut point(where you begin to steer into the corner), and the Throttle point(get that hammer down!). Remember that these points change as conditions change(track/tyre temp, wear, fuel, etc.) The method for a single corner is outside-inside-outside, meaning; you begin the corner on the outside, hit the inside apex at the center point of the turn, and exit on the outside edge. For switchbacks(left-right/right-left, "S" turns) you put the end of the first where the second one starts.
    Here is a good page that explains driving line, and alternate routes.
    http://www.drivingfast.net/racing-line/

Hope this helps, and that your joy for racing only burn stronger as you improve. :)
    Cheers
    rocket

McKiernan likes this.